Hello To All

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mairyd87

New
Reaction score
My name is Mairy and i currently reside in NYC. I had my first seizure when I was 14 and my second when I was 15 (7 months after the first episode). I am 23 years old and this past June I had my third seizure according to my neurologist.

The reason why i joined this community is not to get easy answers but to read, learn and ask the members certain concerns I have and to get everyone's opinion. After reading a few forums about the medication I currently am on, I felt that I can talk to people about the same thing I am going through.

So here is my story.

Alcohol poisoning at 14. 1st seizure a few months later. Neurologist said It could have been caused because of my alcohol poisoning a few months back. Had a 2nd seizure about 7 months after the 1st. Doctor said I should be on medication to make sure I don't have another one. All the testing done on the 1st and 2nd episode came back normal with no clues as to why I had them in the first place. He claimed it was from stress and I would out grow the seizure disorder. I was seizure free and on medication for about 3 1/2 years and got off the medication. Had been seizure free for another 3 1/2 years, so totaling to 7 seven years. In June of this year I apparently had another seizure, which quite frankly, i do not believe it was a seizure.

At the time I was a nanny for 2 young girls. The night before my "seizure" my god daughter had to be rushed to the E.R. because of an injury and stayed with the family until she got discharged. I decided to call out for the following day of work. I woke up the following morning to my phone going off with a voice mail. I got up to make a coffee as I was listening to my boss chew me out through the message. I immediately started getting these weird vision changes, like going through a tunnel, but only black and gray colors and the center was what I was looking at. Then i felt so weak I had to sit down, when I sat down my body felt like it was on fire, and I was yelling to my mother telling her I felt like I was on fire. I had chills and my vision was getting worse, my heart was beating out of my chest and fast, tremoring and sweating. I went to lay down on the couch and it took me a while to get there, but I did. I tried to calm myself down and few minutes later the symptoms started going away. I vaguely remembered how I got back to my bedroom, but I do remember calling my fiancée to tell him what happened and I remembered the conversation. After a few hours I decided to admit myself into the E.R. only because it seemed odd that I had an episode like that. Now, remember, I had only about 4hrs of sleep that and I was exhausted from sleep deprivation and stress from my god daughter's issue and my boss because I did not go to work that day.

They did some tests at the hospital and the doctor said to immediately follow up with a neurologist because it most likely was a seizure. So, I followed up with my old pediatric neurologist the following day. He immediately put me on medication and sent me for testing. Everything came back normal and said my seizure disorder came back based on the fact that I did not remember how I got back to my bedroom. The diagnoses did not seem right. And it has not been sitting well with me either since the diagnoses back in June. To me, it did not and still does not make sense as to, lets say it was a seizure how on earth did I get up and walk into my bedroom?

I believe that it was more of a severe panic attack rather than a seizure. I did not lose consciencesness, my mother and brother were there also there and said the same thing. I believe I was misdiagnosed based on my past. Something that was overlooked and quickly to be diagnosed. I am currently on Keppra XR 750mg and looking for a neurologist for a second opinion. I wanted to know some one else's view on this matter. Anything would be grateful! Thank You :dontknow:

Hi, Mairy,

Welcome to CWE!

I'm glad you went to a doctor to be evaluated. It is a complex set of symptoms that needs a neurologist to figure out. It could be anything - I had similar symptoms when I had a very bad case of the flu and was passing out.

You don't need to lose consciousness to have a seizure. Simple Partial seizures have recall of the event. Though, it sounds like you had a loss of consciousness walking back to your bedroom. That makes me suspect a seizure, too.

Seizures in several parts of the brain cause visual disturbances.
http://www.med.nyu.edu/cec/epilepsy/types/occipital_lobe.html

Autonomic changes can happen, too (in heartrate, sweating/chills, etc.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1201643/

I read up on anxiety attack symptoms, and you are right, they match, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

One option is to wait and see if it happens again, and what the symptoms are this time.
Another option is to ask for anti-anxiety meds instead of anti-seizure meds and see if they work.

If it was a seizure this risks a seizure that is even worse. Since you don't remember going back to your bedroom this would be a loss of consciousness, so your driving privileges would be revoked for a period of time. It looks like you need to be seizure free for 1 year in NY. Do you really want to be driving the children and have a seizure? It could end up hurting or killing them.

Here are the driving laws, by state: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/transportation/drivinglaws.cfm

Lots of things to consider. I'd say trust your doctor but lots of people's doctors have been wrong (including some of mine).

Will you keep us updated? Hang in there. A good diagnosis is half the battle.

Hi Mairy

Welcome to CWE.

I have to agree with Endless that what you described definitely sounded like a seizure. I know in my seizures I think I remember the whole thing. The problem is that there are parts I forget but I'm not aware of having forgotten anything. Also, you wouldn't get that tunnel sensation during a panic attack an you might during a seizure.

Hi Mairy --

It is definitely possible that a panic attack or exhaustion or a fever or a migraine could have caused the symptoms you describe, and made you a little foggy about how you got to your room. But a seizure could have caused those things as well. I think it's an excellent idea to see a neurologist for a second opinion -- you don't want to be medicated if you don't need to be. If you decide to go off the meds, definitely do so under supervision of a doc, and go very very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom