Hello! We are in "TEA" Research mode

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here, looking for information on Transient Epileptic Amnesia.

Person who might have it is an extremely healthy 80 year old man. He goes to the gym every day, walking for 5 miiles on the treadmill, then he practices jumping over a foot from a standing position onto a step. Then he doea the "plank" for three minutes. (I tell you this because I think his overall health is important because of the very late onset of symptoms of TEA)

A year and a half ago the overt episodes started. I'm his friend, and hadn't seen the episode in full bloom until yesterday. I found TEA this week, and his wife has asked me to help research. I will go into more detail in a TEA thread.

I play chess with this man. I am one of four people who plays with him each week. He is a great chess player no matter whether his episode happened yestrday, or three weeks ago. (they occur almost monthly).

So Hi. I am looking forward to learning more here.

Hi.
make you wonder how many people have got this and not plain temporal lobe or some dr's may even think got starts dementia and not.Medicene still got long way to go before precise science yet.
Your friend apart from this unfortunate condition sounds very healthy full of vigour

Welcome to CWE! :)
What a wonderful, concerned friend you are! Your friend does sound very healthy for his age, except for his TEA. I wish I could offer you more info on his condition. I'm sure someone will chime in soon that knows something. I can, however relate with you over your concern with your friend, and watching him go through the episode you saw yesterday, as my son has epilepsy. Glad to have you here. :)

Would you be inclined say it temporal lobe or different altogether not to be confused with e just has similar connections.It certainly gives you things to think about more people have this than we think

I am a 70 year old man who was diagnosed with TEA about nine years ago. I suffered a series of 4 episodes over an 18 month period. With each episode I woke from sleep and discovered that things were missing in my long term memory. This memory loss proved to be permanent, and after the 4th episode, which was particularly severe, I had reached a point where I no longer was able to navigate around the town in which I had lived for 30 years. With the TEA diagnosis I was prescribed Keppra (the assumption being that I was experiencing silent seizures in my sleep) and went about eight years without any further episodes. In the past nine months I have experienced four additional mild episodes which I have attributed to the need for a higher dose of Keppra which I have recently requested from my doctor. I am unclear whether the permanent memory loss is unusual for TEA (especially since the name suggests that the amnesia is transient). I would be interested to hear from others, especially anyone who has suffered permanent memory loss.

Hey GeoffF, welcome to CWE! Feel free to introduce yourself with a thread in the "Foyer" forum.

Back
Top Bottom