Hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

montse

New
Reaction score
My name is Montse and I am 43 years. When I was eight I had a seizure, and was taking fenitoine until I was 13, then my doctor said that my epilepsy was over, but when I was 20 it came back again. I woke up in yhe hospital with pain everywhere,and headache.But no one had seen what had happened to me and I could not remenber.
First a doctor said that it was stress, and I was taking benzodiacepines, I told him about my seizures when I was a child, but he said that it was not the same.
Three months later I had another seizure and a friend saw me having convulsions.
I changed the doctor because in the EEG was "only" diphuse irritablitiy, nothing important:eek:
The new doctor was better, I begun with depakine 500 3 a day, and I had a seizure per year, but "the small ones" did not dissapear.There were no abnormalities in the scanner and REM.

When I decided to have a chlid, I changed to tegretol, and it was wonderful, in 7 years only one seizure and baecause I had a very high fever . I have a child, she is 9 years and I did not have problems with my pregnancy, no seizures:brock: . My seizures, "the small ones" that are still there use to be in the week of my periods.
Reading, I saw your forum and I hope that my English is good enough to be understood.:lol:
Thank you very much.

Hi Montse, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Yes, your English is easily understood. If you hadn't mentioned anything about it, I would not have guessed it wasn't your first language. :)

It's good to hear that Tegretol has been giving you good control. Stacy (my wife) has a similar situation to you right now in that most of her "small" seizure activity these days occur near her periods.

Hi Montse: Welcome to the board !!!! I am now going on 52 yrs old and have epilepsy since I am 11 yrs old . I had a grand mal in grade school after lunch.One yr a half ago I
started to run out of meds, so I went to see a homeopathy Dr. They said they could only get me down to a certain point,not off all my meds. So 2 weeks ago I started GUARD diet with the homeopathy med so I could go off the last 25 mgs of mysoline I was on. DOing pretty well on diet and homeopathy treatment. I never thought I would get off my meds, I am so excited to be controlled and off AEDS.

If you have any questions about homeopathy or the guard diet PM .

Riva

I am also going to an homeopathic doctor, my sister worked there many years, and in july I was because in april I had varicela and herpes zoster, I was having ozone therapy.Since then I feel very tired.
I always show him my EEGs, and now I am looking for a new neurologist, the last one was very interested in the fisrts visits, but later:cry:
I am afraid that it is a common problem.I am from Barcelona, Spain.
Ah, when I was back with seizures I went to the hospital where I was until I was 13, but my clinical history was lost.:cry:
My brother has also epilepsy, but there is no one else in the families of my mother and father.
I think it came to us because we got a very strong sarampion, with a very hihg fever that made us a convulsion.
They say I have temporal epilepsy, with simple partial seiuzures and complex ones.
Now I lauhg remembering my mother saying " don't worrie, its only temporal" (thinking of time, not the part of the brain called so:lol:) .I have been depressed but now I feel better about it, perhaps because there are more problems in life, the shame is that with epilepsy we see a gray reality,we never know when it can be back.

Have you discussed being treated by the homeopath for the epilepsy? I loved having my AEDS reduced and the hoemopath med taking its place.It was like I was coming alive. Now I am treating my underactive thyroid and the epilepsy with homeopathy and I was able to drop the last 25 mgs of mysoline becuase of the guard diet. I can't believe the diet allowed me to get off the mysoline. Its a miracle!!!!!! I made a mistake last week and ate something I wasn't suppose too, 2 hrs later I was sick. NOw I know I need to double check what the sales pple tell me . Can't take chances when I can have a sz.

Wishing you a sz free life !!!!!!

Riva

ps: your english is wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Montse,

Your english is just fine! Nice to see Bernard's site is becoming "WORLD RENOWN!" There are a lot of very nice, helpful people here with all kinds of epilepsy.

My epilepsy began suddenly at age 47. No known reason. But thankfully I have been seizure free for the past 2 1/2 years. and No medication either. Guess I am an enigma.:rolleyes:

:hello: Montse

Glad to have you here on the forums! Your
English is fine! Hope you'll find support and
some answers and friends as you browse
around!

Thank you very much, it is wonderful to speak freely about epilepsy, without taboos . Some time ago I even did not say that word, I said seizures, but now I can say it.It sounds silly but it is true.
It is great that nowadays we can connect with people who live in the other side of the planet and try to help each other with our experiences, but it is sad that everywhere epilepsy is seen as a mental disorder, a possesion of a devil,or worst things that you already know.
I remenber the first time that people who saw me with a seizure, almost run away the next time we met in the bus.
Now I am strong to it, and it is also thanks to my husband, who never gave it an importance, when I told him he said "well and my mother is diabetic, we all have something".
You all have a new friend.:)

Hey, that's great Montse. Acceptance is a big part of taking ownership and responsibility for treatments/seizure control.

I'm a big believer in the idea that your own attitude towards things affects how other people will react to it. If you are like this: :paperbag:, it sends a message that it is something to be ashamed of. If you are like this: :banana:, most people will just :dontknow:. :)

Hi Montse,
I have only recently had an epilepsy diagnosis and I find it difficult to use the word seizure, seems too strong a word but I'm sure as you said it comes with time. Welcome to the forum.
Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom