Hello!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi: I have been suffering Epilepsy off and on for 20 years. I have partial complex seizures. I actually stopped having them for 15 years mediction free but then started having them again 3 years ago. I take 400 Mgs of topamax and just had a breakthrough seizure last night--my first one. I always have my seizures at night and my Neuro thinks that a sleep disorder may have somthing to do with it. But, he is adding Keppra to my meds. I tolerate the Topamax well so Im sure I will be OK. I have a very important job, like a lot of us with epilepsy, and my family relies on me, so im very disturbed about this breakthrough seizure. I have had two others in the past several years, but I had not been taking my medication correctly. This time, that was not the case. Its very upsetting.

Welcome caveduck -
That must be maddening. I can't even begin to know how you must feel.
Are you under a lot of pressure lately?
My daughter is the one with seizures, and we have yet to get them under control. She will be 16 on Saturday. I sure hope that day they leave her alone.

There are some good suggestion here on CWE of other alternatives that you might try to get them under control again. Hope you find something that works for you.
Robin

:hello: Caveduck!

Welcome to CWE! I know it can drive you nuts
trying to bring seizures under control; finding
the right medication or medications to control
it. It is not unusual to go into "remission" period
and then suddenly it comes back to life.

Have you had any recent EEG's? or vEEG / aEEG's?

Has your Doctor ordered up any scans such as
MRI, FDG, CT, CT-PET, etc? There could be some
issues there which could range from scars to tumors
for example.

Since you remarked your Neuro believes you may
have a Sleep Disorder: Sleep Apnea is not unusual
with those who have Epilepsy.

I would consider talking with the Neuro about
maybe a Short Term vEEG Monitoring at the
Hospital so you can be recorded and monitored
so they would know where the seizure(s) are
originating from specifically; and if it is nocturnal
if your Neuro has suspicions about it: it can then
be determined there too.

I know I posted a post-full here. But it can do
you a big good and get you back on your feet
and back to normal and possibility on the right
medication(s) too!

I'm sorry to hear about you're breakthrough that's got to be frusterating. Hopefully adding the Keppra will prevent anymore breakthroughs. Have you had a sleep study done?

Hi: I have been suffering Epilepsy off and on for 20 years. I have partial complex seizures. I actually stopped having them for 15 years mediction free but then started having them again 3 years ago. I take 400 Mgs of topamax and just had a breakthrough seizure last night--my first one.

Caveduck,
I'm sorry that your seizures came back when you've been free of them for so long. Welcome to our group! There are lots of options for you to explore for getting those seizures under control again. Topamax can cause metabolic acidosis, which in turn, may trigger seizures. So perhaps the drug is the problem in this case?
I have been seizure free without drugs since July of 1998. There are a lot of possible causes for partials [the main type seizure I had]. You may want to check out what might be causing them before you come to believe that you are locked into needing to take drugs again.
There has also been a lot of progress in the area of non-drug treatments for seizures, which is how I became seizure free. You may want to explore these options too, many of which can be used along with medications.
Andrews\Reiter Epilepsy Research Program in Santa Rosa, CA takes a very comprehensive approach to managing seizures, minimizing drug use and maximizing showing you ways to manage seizures on your own. You can get a lot of information from their web site:
http://www.andrewsreiter.com

Are you on any special diet? There are several diets now that you may want to explore for managing seizures too. These include the GARD, gluten free, lactose free, ketogenic, and Atkins diets. Bladder problems may also be linked to nocturnal seizures, so you may want to be evaluated by a urologist.
I'm glad you found this group and hope you will find a way to regain control of the seizures quickly.

Below are some links you may find useful about the side effects of Keppra and Topamax:
"The side effects that were reported more frequently with Keppra than with placebo during the clinical trials were:

sleepiness
asthenia (loss of strength and energy)
dizziness
infection
These occurred mostly during the first 4 weeks of treatment. The infections were mainly colds (upper respiratory infections) and infection has not been a problem during recent experience with large numbers of patients.

Some other side effects mentioned even less often have included:

agitation
anxiety
other mood changes
coordination difficulties
headache "
http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/p_keppra_commonside
TOPAMAX* (topiramate) use is associated with Metabolic AcidosisUse of TOPAMAX is associated with metabolic acidosis in both adults and children with doses as low as 50 mg/day. Symptoms include hyperventilation, fatigue ...
www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/prof/2004/topamax_3_hpc-cps_e.html

Topamax Warnings & Precautions - Topiramate - USA TodayTopamax Warnings & Precautions - Topiramate - USA Today. ... This metabolic acidosis is caused by renal bicarbonate loss due to the inhibitory effect of ...
www.healthscout.com/rxdetail/68/69/3/main.html

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=alternative-treatments

Hi caveduck, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Interesting choice of username. :) Make yourself at home here.

P.S. Did your doc order a sleep test to check for sleep apnea or other sleep disorders?

Yes--Ive had an MRI and a regular EEG. My seizures are idiopathic. However, my neuro is now thinking that a sleep disorder may be part of the cause for the recent activity (although, not the cause of the underlying seizure condition, which is unknown). Oxygen deprivation can trigger a seizure that even the meds wont prevent. He has ordered a sleep study. He is very supportive at least (like not taking away driving priveleges etc) I have not had a seizure in public, etc. I am upset because my wife is afraid of me. She is not sleeping in the same bed as me this week. It really hurts my feelings. I cant control this.

BTW--"Cave Duck" is a mix of my favorite mascots. Cavemen--that was my high school mascot

Ducks--University of Oregon--Go Ducks--Number 2 in the BCS and going for the National Championship in college football!!

Aha! Well, I hope the sleep study gives you some answers.

BTW, the Ducks may have the very worst (ie. ugliest) unis of any team in Div I college football. Dixon is a gamer though. :)

Caveduck - Special Announcement :)

Caveduck:

You may WHACK Bernard for that post at
any time!

BTW, the Ducks may have the very worst (ie. ugliest) unis of any team in Div I college football.

:sw: :bondage:

But I SURELY hope your Neuro gets to the
bottom of it all and quickly!

(((((( Hugs ))))))))

-------------------

PS:

Bernard: :pfft:

FSU & USF = :tup: & :brock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back