Hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aperezz6

New
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Andrew and I am Texas. I have had epilepsy since I was about 13 or 14 years old and I am currently 34. I used to take trileptal but I have not been on medication for years because I don't have seizures often anymore. In addition, to having epilepsy myself, I am a PhD student in Rehabilitation Counseling and I am interested in how people cope with epilepsy. Rehabilitation Counseling is focused on helping people with disabilities. Currently, I am doing a research study on epilepsy and employment for a class project. I am almost done with school, this should be my last year and I should graduate in May.

Hi Andrew, welcome to CWE. Good to see another Texan. :)

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to CWE! I've had epilepsy for 45 yrs. now and I also have a cousin whose had seizures just about all of her life and then her seizures stopped but she still takes her med. each day and she's in her 80's.
What you might want to do is ask your neuro to do a DNA test on you and this will help the Dr. see if you need to take meds anymore. Whatever you do be careful of what you eat I know to much starch and carbs. trigger seizures for some people and NutraSweet and other fake sugars have been proven to cause more electrical activity in the brain and trigger seizures for some people. I recently found out that being around many people using their cell phones have been triggering seizures for me because I'm sensitive to the frequency that the cell phone uses. Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks for the welcome! Epilepsy runs in my family on my father's side. One of my cousins had to have surgery when we were younger because of how frequently she would have seizures everyday. In my family it tends to skip generations: none of my aunts or uncles have epilepsy but three or four of my cousins on my father's side do. I haven't really kept up with neurology appointments anymore (I know I should). My neurologist weaned me off of my medication in my middle 20's and for the most part I've been ok. You're right about me needing to take good care of myself. I've had some problems when I'm not eating or sleeping right.

Welcome Andrew! I hope you were out of the path of Harvey.

Welcome, Andrew

I have lived with having E for 51+ years now. I have found that the that the two most important things for a person w/E to have are PATIENCE and OPENNESS!
A person who has E needs to be able to live while waiting for a medication to be found that will really help them in their case because every case is different. This may take considerable time because finding the correct AED is a hit and miss trial for the doctors!
That person also has to be willing to be open about their E with the people the know and meet because they will have much lower feeling of stress by being open than trying to hide their E and worrying about if or when they may have a seizure around these people and their E would be revealed and they would have to explain why they had not been telling the truth!
I have lived both ways, open and secretive and open is a far better way to live your life!:clap:

acshuman

Back
Top Bottom