hesitant to go on meds - advice?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Why Do You Waste Your Time Going To See The Doctor?

super8,

If YOU'RE going to ignore what your neurologist says YOU should do, why do YOU even waste YOUR time and his? Do YOU just 'endure' the 'stupid' tests the doctor wants to have done(since YOU know more than the doctor)? If you think YOU are the best person to diagnose YOUR problems YOU should just do what YOU think is best. Don't take an appointment away from someone who actually cares about what the doctor recommends.
It is people like YOU who make it difficult for everybody else who has E! Because of YOU ignoring the doctor's recommendations we all get a bad reputation!
When YOU get a doctor's education with a special emphasis on Neurology, THEN and ONLY THEN can YOU dismiss the neurologist's recommendations and use yours! :twocents:

acshuman

PS: It sure seems to me like one person decides everything in YOUR life even if these decisions are incorrect!

alright, I'll explain the whole scenario just for YOU because clearly YOU haven't read my entire side of the story or YOU simply just don't understand why I'm against going on pills

first off, I'm not denying the fact that I may have epilepsy based on what the EEG said
secondly, just because I'm not on the pills, doesn't necessarily mean my decisions are incorrect

I'll start off by once again saying, I believe those seizures were triggered by 10 weeks of late nights, non stop partying, not hydrating enough, little sleep, etc etc
my entire body was shaking the days leading up to my seizures. I had to have my friend write out the sign-in sheet for me at a hostel and even take panoramic photos on my phone because I couldn't hold steady

when I went to see my neuro, he prescribed me pills right off the bat without getting any testing done. he kind of brushed off all the side effects, and just wanted me on those right away. after looking up the side effects of the pills, I was pretty hesitant and decided to wait until my EEG results came back before making my next move
it comes back abnormal, and my neuro who was away on vacation, sent a letter to my family doctor to tell me about the results, and to go on the pills
the EEG results were about 1/2-3/4 of a page long, but instead of being explained what the results mean and what all the different waves resemble, i was just told "go on the pills". I asked if I could get a second opinion from a different neuro or get more testing done, and my doctor told me I couldn't and that there were no more tests that can be done

my neuro told me that he would call me back in March or April but that useless fuck never got around to doing that. In that time I went to a brain fair, talked to a neuro visiting from NY, and he himself said that the pills prescribed to me were way too strong, and gave me a list of 5 alternative pills I can go on (haven't tried any of those out if YOU can't tell)

basically, I feel like I'm being screwed around by my neuro and my family doctor. they try to scare me into taking those pills by saying "you can seizure while you're driving or while you're at work or when you're at the lake during the summer" well guess what, I could also walk out my front door and get hit by a car or struck by lightning or god knows what else. I'm not going to be feared into taking these pills so those fucks can make an extra dollar off me

there's an epilepsy clinic at a local hospital here (masterjen has talked about it) that I'm going to ask to get a referral to. but for now, i'm still staying off the pills. and as a matter of fact, they're long gone anyways. threw them out

saw my neuro this past week.
long story short, he tried convincing me to go on meds but I still said I'm not going to
said he can prescribe me different meds that focus on just the left side of the brain because thats where spikes were shown during my EEG

also said there is no such thing as "stronger" or "weaker" medication, its all the same

I asked if I can get more testing done or get referred to the epilepsy center we have here in town, he said no to both. so I think my next step is to brush all of this aside and just continue on with my life until, or if, my epilepsy affects me somehow

so I figured I would post an update
a month after I saw my old neurologist, I had to see my family doctor as a followup for a car accident I got in
his only concern was my epilepsy, I told him how I don't like the other neurologist and wanted a second opinion and more testing done

two weeks ago I had another EEG, this past Monday I got a call from the office being told I'm not allowed to drive
naturally I freaked out and thought it came back abnormal, but today, I went to go see my new neurologist

we talked for about an hour, he said he looked at my past EEG and didn't agree/see the abnormalities in it. there were some spikes in the brain waves, but nothing drastic enough to label me as epileptic
this past EEG I had some spikes in my brain waves, which he said made him suspicious, but nothing too crazy. they'll be doing more testing, a long term EEG, in a few months
but based off that, results of my EEGs, and how I've been since my only two seizures, he believes that I don't have E and that I'm one of the people that gets them once in their life and thats it.

so I'm pretty happy about all of this and extremely happy that I never went on those meds

Thanks for the update super8. "One-off" seizures are definitely possible and it's great that that's a likely scenario for you. Be well!

I tend to agree with aschuman.If you not taking treatment then discharge your self,but it common to put people on Meds before eeg you could end up waiting for one.You see constant latenights over that not going give you sz unless strobe lights.as nak says glad ok now just remember everyone got sz threshold. Just matter of finding what it is.
if you. Had sz and refused treatment becarefull when you drive or you find yourself with hefty prison sentence.
I agree docs don't always get it fight that why you written questions down get someone go with you.No doc going to give you e Meds unless he feels they nesscary doc had. Many years studying epilepsy longer than Google been here.but I wish luck

Back
Top Bottom