Hi all, husband with diabetes and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyerltd

New
Reaction score
My husband has begun to have seizures. He had one back in 200 then didn't have another one until Jan 2007, then one in May 2007 and another one in Sept 2007. Now we can't figure out why he is having them. He is diabetic and has that under control. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I have never experienced anything like this before. I have to admit, I am scared but I keep the "strong face" for my family. My husband and I are Christians and we do believe in God. I believe our faith has helped this ordeal tremendously.

That fear of not knowing when the next one will occur is a hard thing to deal with. Can someone help me and give me some pointers? We are positive about this. I mean, you can't let the fear get you down but you do have your days. I'm only human. I can remember praying to God that if my husband does have another one, let him be in bed. Guess what? This last seizure he had he was asleep and I was right beside him! I held him to make sure he wouldn't fall out of bed. I actually thanked God! I was so happy that he was on his fluffy pillow in a warm bed and he didn't fall and hit his head or anything. I count that as a blessing. The next day we were talking about the seizure. He asked me if he fell. I told him no and that I was holding him when he was going through it. Bless his heart, he hugged me and cried.

I want to be a big support for him but I need to be "fueled" myself. I hope you guys can help me.

Hi,

No you really can't let the fear get you down. Changes in the blood sugar levels in diabetes can trigger a seizure. You will find a lot of information on a google search of "diabetes" "seizures". A seizure journal can help a lot. In it you would record everything you can think of surrounding his seizures. Did he have one while awake, or asleep? How long after or before eating? What did he have to drink that day? Was he unusually tired or stressed? Was he sitting or standing?

Over time, recording everything you can about his seizures , may show a pattern to them. Those patterns may give you ideas on what is triggering his seizures. Since his last seizure was at night, try a google search on "diabetes" "nocturnal seizures" and see if anything may relate to him.

Are you checking with any of the diabetes organizations for information and advice? They may be able to give you ideas on what is setting them off and how to stop them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Beyertld: Welcome to the board ,nice meeting you !!!!!
As Zoe stated its very important to keep a medical journal telling exactly what happened
so you can look back and see what you might have missed when talking to the Dr.

Looking on the net about diabetsis and epilepsy you may find info to help you both out.

I myself have had epilepsy since I was a child and I am now going on 52 in NOV.

If you would like info on alternative therapy such as homeopathy, or the Gard Diet
I am using both and I am om off meds after 41 yrs on meds. And I feel great!!!!!!
Feel free to ask me .
Wishing your husband a sz free life !!!!!!!

Again welcome to the board ,nice meeting you
Riva

Hi beyerltd, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Has your husband seen a neurologist or had any tests done? Is the doc overseeing his diabetes taking blood tests after the seizures?

You might find this interesting:

Epilepsy linked with Type 1 Diabetes Risk

That fear of not knowing when the next one will occur is a hard thing to deal with. Can someone help me and give me some pointers?

For me, controlling the anxiety/fear was not possible. I just had an epiphany one day that all the anxiety/fear wasn't helping or affecting anything. What will be, will be. All I could do is react to the best of my ability. So I stopped worrying and focused my energies on more productive pursuits.

I want to be a big support for him but I need to be "fueled" myself. I hope you guys can help me.

We'll be here for you any time you need it. :)

Epileptic hubby of a caregiving wife here...

Welcome!......and I just wanted to say 'thanks' on his behalf....I know how it feels to fall out of bed (off the couch...down the stairs...off the hospital bed...etc...)...you give him some SERIOUS STRENGTH!
:hi5:

I add my WELCOME.

He is lucky to have you nearby.
My 15 yr old daughter has seizures, and most of the time I can't be near her. They tend to happen mid-day while she is at school. I also seem to think there is a sugar drop for her as well, so diet plays a huge role in this illness. I try to make sure she is getting protein throughout the day, and limit any excessive sugar. She is currently on the GARD or GFCF diet.

I am sure you will find the support you are looking for here.

Welcome from me too. I am a mom of a 19 yr. old son who's been having nocturnal grand mal seizures since 12 1/2. Your support and strength will help guide you through this journey. This forum is a wonderful place to vent, ask questions, share experiences and gain a great deal of knowledge. Once again, Welcome aboard!!
Marian

:hello: Beyer

You'll love it here, and you
also remind me of ICE CREAM!
:D

Kick back and make yourself
a home!

I haven't checked with any agencies for advice. This is all so overwhelming to me that I don't know where to start. Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated :)

My husband does see a neurologist and has had tests done. He has type 11 diabetes, not type 1. I put my faith in God and i believe that helps me a lot. We don't know why my hubby is having them. He has had three this year and has never had them before. I am now doing a lot of reading and looking into support groups.

Thank you so much. Thank you all for making me feel welcome here. I will do my best to educate myself with these seizures. Sometimes I feel like my hubby feels like I don't understand so he witholds from me. I told him that is the worst thing he can do is "cut me off". I may not know what it is like to have a seizure but this DEFINATELY effects the whole family. Sometimes I think he doesn't see that.

Thankx to all of you :)

Hi,
It may be difficult for him to see what it is like for you to be there so helpless to stop a seizure once it started, especially if he doesn't have a sense of what it looks like to others when he is having a seizure. You are right, the seizures do affect everyone in the family, and each has to develop ways to cope with the situation. Is he reading the posts on this page?
Be sure and check out the GARD diet that has helped Riva so much as well as the gluten and dairy free diet posts.
Zoe

http://dogtorj.net/id16.html

Zoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom