Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yves

New
Reaction score
My name is Yves. I am 38 years old. I have simple partial seizures. It was diagnosed as related to a brain tumor (olidendroglioma grade II).

I was operated at the beginning of 2003. I had a radiotherapy in 2004. I still experience seizures as they seem chemoresistant.

I have a seizure every 10 / 15 days. I haven't have one for 3 weeks and It's a very nice feeling eventhough my seizure are "weak" and invisible.

I pracice Tai chi and Qigong. I really believe this has a big effect on this.:ponder:

Hope to hear from someone,

Regards,
Yves

Hi Yves, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Some day I am going to get serious about trying Tai Chi. Just not enough hours in the day for everything I want to do.

Hello Bernard

You should try, it's worth it. But try it in a affiliated club where they also teach Qiqong which is part of Tai Chi (or its origins).

I have science degrees in Chemistry and engineering. I still don't understand how it works but I can feel it.

As Dr Yang jwing Ming says in one of its DVD, the occidental medecine is keen on seeing, theoretical explanations etc, the chinese medecine emphasize the feelings part.

I believe they are complementary and not alternatives.
Yves:cheers:

Hello Yves!...

Welcome! I also have been interested in Tai Chi but can't seem to fit it into my schedule. A friend tried to get me to join him and his wife for classes once. I thought the 'centering' effect would help greatly...it seems it may be helping you!

Peace
:rock:

Hi Yves,

Welcome aboard.

I practiced Tai Chi many years ago, as I just fancied trying something different. It didn't do me any harm, but at the time I wasn't experiencing seizures as much as I am now.

Maybe it's time I got the book back out again. I used a real no-brainer book with loads of pictures and simple explanations off how to do things, so for all you who don't have much time - it might be a worth-while investment.

We have a large Asian population in our community and they hold classes each morning at our local park. When I walk there I am quite interested in this form of exercise. It would be a nice balance. I agree it is hard to fit it all in. I want to try yoga too.

I am glad that you are finding this to be a benefit to your care. It is good to know.

Thanks to all of you. I have "lots" of books... Nothing like a good training in the club but I think some are very interesting to adapt your exercises to your specific needs.
I center my training on the brain (no kidding) and immunity.
I'll try to explain what I feel later on. My third son need to be taken care of!

Last edited:
Hello Yves

Welcome, welcome!

I have practiced Yoga for decades (scary thought, eh?) and I have found that a meditative practice
brings me great peace. I can no longer do many asanas because of balance problems from seizures.
Tai Chi is so lovely and I can only imagine that it
would be theraputic and joyful.
Best wishes!

I did Tai Chi as a college credit a few years ago but my knee got so bad I couldn't do many of the movements.

Now I have new knees and have more functional days, I've been thinking about pulling out my tape and starting it up again.

knee

Hello again,

I also had some troubles with my knee at the beginning as most newbies do. I think I just found out this year how to training properly. Basically, he knee shall always remain in line with the foot.

Enjoy your practice!:woot:

Thanks for the pointer, Yves, I'll try to remember that!

Hello yves,
That's cool to hear that Tai Chi helps you. I'm not even really sure what that is, but I'm going to research it now. I know what yoga is and I'm intrested in taking classes in that. Anyway welcome to the group and I hope you find it useful.

Krista

HI yves,
welcome. I never know what to write because I don't know a lot about epilepsy. I have partial seizures too. Thanks for telling us about the Tai Chi. It is something that I have considered trying. Now I have some incentive to follow through.

Qigong

Good evening!

I used to practice Karate and Aikido. When the tumor was discovered and hopefully removed, I understood that martial arts as I practiced were not possible anymore (I bought a sophisticated ski helmet though to continue with some pleasures in life, just as I continue scuba diving..:banana:)
Anyway, there were not 100 options:
- pure meditation (monk style)
- yoga
- tai chi chuan (which is a real martial art contrary to what I thought at the beginning). In my club, on can study every form (martial, health(slow motion) and Qigong) as we want. Qigong and tai chi include movements whereas I know little about yoga:ponder:, but it seems to me that most positions are static. I do not say yoga is bad or something, i'd say moving suits me better that's all.
there are lots of sitting and standing postures in Qigong so I believe it's a global approach of the body, now I enjoy both styles.
I am sure that the martial approach is also good for the health, I am just affraid to punch my head:brain:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom