Hi I'm New Here, Frontal Lobe Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Karen! I'm wondering...was the keppra working for you? Other than the mood side effects.....because there are several people here that take vitamin B6 along with the keppra for that very reason. If it was working for you, you might want to ask your doc if you can go back on it if you add B6. It's worth a try.

Also...sometimes its a matter of finding the right combo of meds. So don't be surprised if it takes a while. Depakote worked great for me, but the bad side effect was weight gain. I'm 5'3" and while on Depakote was around 190 lbs. So make sure that while you're on it, that you eat healthy and try to stay in shape (try walking, yoga, or pilates).

Try to make sure that you sleep on your side. That way if you are seizing in your sleep, you don't choke on your saliva.

You said you had a brain injury. That can cause seizures. And from how your docs have treated you, I'd suggest that you start looking. If there's a teaching hospital near you, you might want to check out what they have available. As to memory issues...it's most likely med related. Seizures can cause memory loss too though. So while you're trying to find the right med for you, try taking fish oil capsules. I was taking 1000 mg. a day and noticed an improvement with my memory. Also, on the subject of meds....if you're ever thinking you might even possibly have another child, you definitely want to let your neuro know. That way they can try to find a med that will work for you while minimalizing the risk to any children. If you're past childbearing, than it's not an issue....although the hormonal swings during menopause can trigger seizures for some women. Hope this helps. :)

Hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Just came out of a turkey induced sleep. :)

Hi Skillefer,
I wasn't on Keppra that long but it didn't seem to help much. It was awful. I usually tolerate meds well but not that one. Whew!
I'm really concerned about the weight gain with Depakote.

Yes, I do sleep on my side for that reason, that and I have gotten sick during a grand mal previously. Thanks for the idea on the fish oil capsules.

My daughter is grown so I'm not going to have anymore children, I'll wait for grandchildren to spoil and send home!

I had a great Thanksgiving, all 3 of them, lol. I just had left overs. Nap time!

I really appreciate your suggestions.

Karen

Do you wear a mouth guard at night? I grind my teeth if I don't wear it.

I am to have the extensive memory testing done soon. My neurologist at first said it was due to the seizures.

I have nausea and weird things with my complex migraines which sometimes coincide w/ the complex partial seizures.

It is vital to find the correct answer. Hope you find out soon. Sleep well tonight.

Do you wear a mouth guard at night? I grind my teeth if I don't wear it.

I am to have the extensive memory testing done soon. My neurologist at first said it was due to the seizures.

I have nausea and weird things with my complex migraines which sometimes coincide w/ the complex partial seizures.

It is vital to find the correct answer. Hope you find out soon. Sleep well tonight.

I asked my dr about getting a mouth guard made and she said she doesn't want me to have anything in my mouth while I'm sleeping.

Good luck with your testing, it was a lot harder than I expected!

I hope you sleep/slept well too.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom