Hi, Random Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brand new to the forum, but have had epilepsy my whole life. I am very lucky that I don't have seizures very often, when I do, I have always had grand mal seizures but my last seizure in June was different, I believe it began with a complex partial seizure and then I had a tonic seizure.

This is where my question comes in, for the last 10-11 years I have been experiencing a weakness in my arms, mainly the left one but sometimes the right. It is from my forearm down and usually lasts about 20 minutes. Although last year I lost the feeling in my finger for 3 days. I also get pains in my legs again usually the left. They don't generally occur together. I have been to 5 doctors and a chiropractor about this and no-one has offered me any answers and all blood tests come back clear. So I was wondering could this be anything to do with epilepsy?

Thanks for taking the time
Helen

Hi Helen welcome to CWE!

Sometimes simple partial seizures can be followed by temporary muscle weakness. Any chance you've been having partials?

Another possibility is peripheral neuropathy, which can be a side effect of some anti-seizure meds.

Do you keep a seizure diary? That might help.

But my bet is on the peripheral neuropathy, especially with the numbness you mentioned. That's usually associated with some sort of irritated or compressed nerve. The trick would be finding which nerve or nerves might be involved.

Yeah I might give the diary a try and see if I notice anything specific happening beforehand.

Thanks x

Keeping a seizure diary is a very good idea. I write down how I felt before the seizure, what I did during it and anything that happens after (a headache or something like that). I print out a copy for my neuro to look at during my visits. It helps answer alot of questions that he has because my memory isn't that good.

I have a herniated disc that is pinching a nerve which causes my calf to be numb all the time. I will also get pains that shoot down my leg if I turn the wrong way because it is pinching the nerve even more. As Nakamova said you could have a nerve somewhere that is pinched which might be why you are having the problems. It took 4 drs for me to go to before one figured out why these things were happening.

Back
Top Bottom