Hi!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, there! I am Hoopyscoop, which is a name my grandfather called me, and has since become my username on all forums. I have Focal Epilepsy. I had my first seizure in April 2018, it was a tonic-clonic in my sleep. It took 16 months to diagnose me with Epilepsy. It's been a really hard time with medication, and I have focal seizures all day, but I have a rescue medication so I am somewhat in control. (Clonazepam wafers) I've been having a really hard time with memory and reading. But, it's only temporary.
I have an Instagram account @spikesandwaves and I am using it to promote awareness for Epilepsy. If you'd like, you could follow me there. :)

I hope to get to know all of you better. :)

Hi Hoopyscoop,

Welcome to the forum! I had seizures in my sleep for awhile then my Epileptologist did a sleep study on me and found out I was having
the seizure 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning. I was then put on vimpat and told to use CBD (medical marijuana) and since
then these seizures have stopped. I also have absence and complex partial seizures.
Often people with epilepsy will have short term memory loss do to the seizures or the meds they are taking. I also found out that using
a cell phone more than 30 min. a day will shrink and harden a persons hippocampus leading to short term memory loss. If you have a lot
of seizures this will also shrink and harden the hippocampus of the brain. Years ago I had brain surgery to reduce my seizures and the
surgeon took out my right hippocampus because it had shrunk and become hard from yrs. of seizures.
Be sure to keep track of your seizures get a calendar and write down what time of day/night you have any seizure and the type of
seizure you have, by doing this your Dr. may see a pattern in your seizures and when they are more likely to happen. I always
have seizures either the 1st or 3rd week of each month do to hormones changing. I wish you only the best of luck and May
God Bless You!

Sue

Many years ago I did some research on cures for Epilepsy.....taking half a teaspoon of food quality Epsom Salts in a little orange juice in the morning, and recommended it to a friend who had been epileptic for years. It worked! It has always worked since then. I gave talks in clinics in the UK and have recommended Epsom Salts over the years......amazing feed back and great results. Try it!!

Jualsy, it's terrific that you found relief with the Epsom Salt and OJ (congrats!) but worth noting: What works for one person may not work for another, folks should proceed with caution when trying something new, and never stop or change their meds without consulting with their docs.

Hoopyscoop, welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home :)

hello. my sleep study was funny because i i shared the room a ex millitary person. and no one listened to to the important rule when he had a seizure, "get his wife"

Back
Top Bottom