Hi :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

B0nemush

Reaction score
I'm new here so, first if I made a mistake while making this thread please correct me haha. I'm 16 and I was diagnosed with Epilepsy on the 25th and started Keppra on the 26th. I've been experiencing focal (tonic clonic) seizures once a month for the past 11 months. It took a long time to get diagnosed but, so far Keppra has been making me extremely drowsy and emotional. Hoping I get adjusted soon <3

Hi BOnemush,

Welcome to the forum! Feeling drowsy is part of the keppra take my word I was on it for 1 month but the drug made me
have such a hot temper I had to go off of it.
I've had both absence and complex partial seizures for 50 yrs. and you may want to start keeping track of your seizures by
writing down on a calendar what time they happened my Epileptologist told me to do this and after I did he saw a pattern in
my seizures.
One thing that may be triggering some of your seizures is that your body is still changing into an adult. I know this was a hard
time for me and I had many more seizures that my Dr. couldn't control. One thing I started doing is taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg.
a day and I started using the cbd oil (medical marijuana) and I was very surprised on how that cut back on my seizures.
Everyone here has been a great help to me and they are very kind. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello. I have both simple & complex partial seizures. I've had simple partials since childhood--the complex partials began a little over 25 years ago. Keppra was one of the many AEDs I've tried for my complex partials, but it caused such severe cramps that I was doubled over in pain. I'm currently taking 400mg Topamax & 500 mg Zonisamide/day along with 1mg folic acid. I still average 1-3 breakthrough seizures/month.

Hey B0nemush, welcome!

Everyone's experience with seizure meds is different. Ideally, side effects will lessen as your brain gets used to the med. Keppra is particularly known for affecting moods -- if you find yourself become extremely angry or having unusual mood swings, it may be the culprit. Some studies show that a B6 supplement can help with this side effect, so you might ask your neuro about this option if you continue to feel emotional.

The ideal med will provide BOTH seizure control AND good quality of life. There are a lot of seizure meds out there, so if your med isn't suiting you, it's important to let your neuro know.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom