hobbies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I need a new hobby that I can do from home. Can you guy help me and suggest some hobbies I can do to help pass the time and keep my mood up.
I have already tried soap making and that didn't go very well.
Thank you :hugs:

Jigsaw puzzles, bread-baking, chess, calligraphy, adult coloring books. I belong to "short-attention-span" book group -- we read short stories instead of novels. :)

cars

i typically have a bmw 3 series that i cannot drive. just having it in the garage and having the wife drive me in it keeps me happy.

Im also a gear head tho. I detail, fix, diy all sorts of random stuff.

I did race 15yrs ago, before epilepsy.....

Hi ladybirdfish,

I got into ham radio you have to study and take a test through the gov't. and if you pass you get your radio license and you can talk to people all over the world and make a lot of new friends. It can be a bunch of different people talking with you at the same time all of you are together as a group visiting. Another thing you can do with ham radio is scan a picture and it will go through your computer into your radio and then the picture will end up on the persons computer screen that you are talking with. I could send you pictures from the U.S. while your in Ireland and we could talk with each other at no cost.
If you get into NASA you can also talk to astronauts in the space shuttle or on the space station. I've made a lot of friends all over the world and I also work in emergency communications meaning I help out if there's bad weather and people have no power and medical help is needed. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

i ride a bicycle, but i dont recommend it, seizures on bikes are a bit unpleasant

I used to love cooking, but thanks to the complex partials I can't w/o supervision. I enjoy doing word search & fill-in puzzles--which are like crosswords in reverse. I also like doing large jigsaw puzzles--1000+ pieces. I also enjoy quilting & embroidery/cross stitch, but not pre-stamped things. I made all the decorator towels in my house.
I also collect stamps & coins.

i do embroidery and applique, i am hunting for a table and chair now to sit at with my machines. I make myself backpacks

I've made a lot of quilts, for my sons before they were born, and for friends & relatives who were expecting. I have also made bibs using large washcloths w/applique, & barrettes or ponytail holders for those who had little girls.

I used to do cross stitch for while but with the meds I was on and as time went on I lost interest.
Now I'm starting to do adult color in books to help with my overthinking and stress, I also found some color in apps which are cool. I also have some adult dot to dot but have to be in the mood to do that lol

one piece i was working caused a pyschotic break thanks to the meds,

I enjoy doing all these things partly because how many hours can a person stare at screens? There is a limit to how much TV one can watch. My TV usually is on even if I'm not actually watching just so that there isn't dead silence in the house.
Before the complex partials began, I cooked a lot. That was another thing I used to love doing.

I enjoy doing all these things partly because how many hours can a person stare at screens? There is a limit to how much TV one can watch. My TV usually is on even if I'm not actually watching just so that there isn't dead silence in the house.
Before the complex partials began, I cooked a lot. That was another thing I used to love doing.
I only have the tv on at night and sometimes play games on my ipad or mobile phone to unwind from the day. But I've heard a few people say you should avoid screen time if you can't sleep and ive been having alot of trouble sleeping lately. So I'm trying to avoid playing the devices so much before bed and distract myself other ways while i watch TV. I started a color in pic beginning of last year and yesterday (almost 2 years later lol) I decided to do some more of it lmao.

Last edited:
Painting (which I'm still itching to start), LEGO, custom fishing (making my own lures), crafting (beads, paper mache, stain glass, etc).

Whatever you choose, use caution based on your skills and health condition.

I do mosaics and, I know this might sound silly, but I like painting lamp bases or old chairs I find at thrift stores for friends and co-workers. I also like refinishing old furniture. Now that I live in an apartment, the furniture thingy is a little more difficult, but I can still do the painting.

Painting (which I'm still itching to start), LEGO, custom fishing (making my own lures), crafting (beads, paper mache, stain glass, etc).

I can second the Lego option, I use it as a form of stress relief and to take my mind off anything happening and now I have a collection of over 60 sets.

I am very close to almost building a replica of my fire station but at this stage it sits as a modified store bought set.

I love gardening and fishing. Lego seems a nice addition to it.

3D modeling and 3d printing is a great hobby and a valuable skill. I spent the least four years learning, and now I have my own online shop selling the products I make. It is a huge boost to morale, and potentially income. Blender is the free software - worth thousands - I learned. It takes time - you can get free tutorials on Youtube - but it is soo worth it! Please check out some of the things I made at www.shapeways.com/shops/veggielights . Turn your imagination into useful and beautiful things! I'll be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom