Horrible memory problem

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fscene8

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm Abi and 've recently turned 19. I've been suffering from epilepsy for 5 years (so far).
The problem I have is bad memory.
Fisrt medicine I used to consume were Depakine Chrono which caused big appetite and gaining fat - so my neurologist changed them to Lamictal. I have consumed Depakine for a year
Everything was alright with Lamictal until huge stress caused by relationships with people. I have consumed Lamictal for over 2 years until I got a seizure.
Then my neurologist decided to change it to Topamax considering it would be better. And from there my problem has started.
My memory became horrible. I couldn't study. My grades went all down. I used to be an A+ student until then. Then next time I got in touch with my neurologist, she said that was just a size effect and there was no need to change it. I got disappointed but could not do anything.
I turned 18 so I had to change neurologist, i told him the problem so he told me to use Lamictal again.
And no, my memory has not gone any better, it's actually even worse.
I'm college student - this is my 1st year. Everything I read gets forgotten in a second and I can't help it.
Mom refuses to buy me any pill for memory and concentration because she's afraid it may cause a seizure.
And beside all of that, recently they have found cyst on my brain (electromagnetic resonance). The sad thing, I'm seeing my neurologist in January (stupid country system of mine).
Right now I'm crying and am desperate because I don't know who should I ask for help. I feel like I'm mentally deprived.
Exams are coming up these days and I know nothing.
Please help, I'm desperate, I don't know what to do anymore :(

Hi Abi, welcome to the site. I'm sorry you're struggling so much... I'm not really sure what to suggest, but wanted to offer hugs, and wish you all the best. Please keep us updated, and good luck with your exams.

Hello Fscene8,

Warm welcome to CWE :)

My Son has E not me. He is in his last year of college and was diagnosed in his 2nd year of college.

Is there any chance you can ask you doc to do a full vitamin and mineral blood check on you? It may shed some light if you are short.

My Son takes lots of supplements in conjunction with meds, TOP of the list for memory is Omega 3 (fish oil and good high quality) and he takes Vitamin E, B Complex, Magnesium, Vitamin D and he is also in bio feedback/neuro-therapy (which is brain training)...all of which we have seen help him.

There are many alternatives that may help and are very well worth exploring.

My Son got extension of one year to complete his degree due to E, so you should talk to your school to see what programs and help they have available for you....

And if you are not keeping a seizure dairy, start one today and note record of each AND every known seizure with date, it may help you work out triggers

Keep asking the questions.......and fighting :)

Keep us posted. We are here for each other....

Last edited:
Hi Fscene8,

In reading your tread, I could hear the pain in your words. I am sorry you are going through this. I wish I knew something to help your memory, but my is bad also.

I sending HUGS to you.

Keep us posted.

Hi Abi, welcome to CWE!

I'm so sorry you are struggling with this. I think your instincts are right, and the Topomax (often called "Dopomax" because of its cognitive side effects) is to blame. Since the side effects were less bothersome, it may be worth giving Lamictal another shot, maybe at a slightly higher dose. It has the reputation for having the fewest cognitive side effects. And there are other meds out there to try. I suggest that you keep pushing hard to see your neurologist sooner rather than later -- call the office every day if need be, and let them know that you are available if there's a cancellation.

In the meantime, see if you can talk to your college advisors -- they may be able to arrange some sort of accommodation based on what you are going through. Your mom is right about the pills for memory -- those tend to contain caffeine and other stimulants which are bad news for folks with seizure disorders.

Hang in there! Definitely feel free to come here and ask questions or vent as needed. We understand what you are going through.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome to CWE. Memory is something I can never get enough of, so I feel where you are coming from! I hate the some of the medications to control seizures cause a person to feel like they just had one. I wish the best for you, all of this health stuff impacting your brain is a nightmare to go through. But you aren't alone with it, so many on here have been in similar positions.

Best wishes and I hope the neuro can hurry up and see you sooner.

Welcome. I don't have E but my 22 month old little boy has seizure's, a brain lesion and other strange things going on. I have learn't so much through others on this board and they have given me so much support. Not having E myself and my little man being to young to let me know what is going on I rely on others like you to tell me these things so I know what to look out for him.
Thank you for sharing. Hang in there and keep looking for answers. Hugs.
Donna

Hi And welcome Abi,

Being a college student in itself is stressful and having to take E meds on top of it doubles the stress, so hang in there. As Nakamova said, Topomax is one of the meds that does contribute to cognitive problems. I'm currently taking it along with Keppra and I know what it can do to one's memory. I've also taken Lamictal before and I did feel better, but I didn't help with my seizures. Call your neuro's office and insist on being seen before January since you're having such problems with these meds. There are many others out there to try. After all, this E and meds is a trial and error thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Make sure you are taking a multivatimin and a b vitamin supplement. My memory is a problem too and while its far from perfect those two things have defintely helped. Writing things down and reading them out loud also seems to help me retain what I read. Keep your head up and explore every avenue in terms of study options that may help you remember your material better. I was in a similar situation in school and you just have to keep plugging away and not let it beat you!

Thank you everyone for Your kind messages:)
I'll start taking vitamin A,B & E supplement. If you could recommend me more, please feel free to.
I had math and programming exam and I failed. I didn't do informatics theory well either.
Tomorrow I have electrotechnics test which is the last one, actually.
I really don't want to fail that one + it's my favorite subject.
I'll have to study stuff I failed together with new stuff which kills me.

Thank you everyone for the support. I love you all <3 :p

Some folks have found that Omega-3s can also help with memory, so you might want to give them a try. Those can be found in fish oil or flax oil supplements as well as in certain foods.

Good luck with your electrotechnics test! We're rooting for you!

Good luck with your electrotechnics test! We're rooting for you!

Unfortunately I failed electrotehnics too :p
I failed Electrotechnics, Programming and Math.
Passed English and Informatics. English - I use it every day while being online and Informatics - you must be a complete idiot not to know stuff such as what screensaver or printer is. Lol

I started taking Fish oil (tabs), vitamins B6 & B2, Lecithin, Magnesium and Zinc.
Is that alright? :D

Back
Top Bottom