Hottubs?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
I know this is a question for my neurologist, and I will ask her, however, I was wondering if it was okay if there is any risk of hottubs being seizure triggers?

I have been an avid swimmer since I was three years old. I started lifeguarding when I was 15 and taught swim lessons for a few years.

My neurologist has told me it is OKAY for me to swim, as long as I have someone in the pool with me, in case I was to have a seizure, to get me out immediately. My parents have assisted with the swim team for years, and my brother has also coached the swim team for at least six years and been on it from the age of 4-18. So, I have good swimmers ready to help when we go. = )

Anyway, one thing I forgot to ask, and plan on asking before I head off on my cruise (which I leave for on December 26th) is, if I can get in the hottub?
In the end it will be up to her, but I was just curious as to what you all had to say, and as to if your doctors had ever said or had any advice about them.

Hi Kate:

There was an article on HotTubs that
provoked Reflex Seizures
and when I
went to the link - the article was no longer
available! It was posted and confirmed in
Japan and it was published; but I can't
remember if it was 2006 or 2007.

(Reflex Seizures aka Reflex Epilepsy - also
known as Gelastic Seizures / Epilepsy)

I tried other resources to get the article
in other methods. If someone can find
another route in getting that news article
pulled up for Kate for her to read ... I'd
deeply appreciate it!

Thanks anyone who's able to find it!

Do check with the neuro and maybe do a google search on it. Hot tubs lower blood pressure an hypotension can trigger seizures. Doesn't mean it will, and I couldn't find the article Brain mentioned either.

I know this is a question for my neurologist, and I will ask her, however, I was wondering if it was okay if there is any risk of hottubs being seizure triggers?

I have been an avid swimmer since I was three years old. I started lifeguarding when I was 15 and taught swim lessons for a few years.

My neurologist has told me it is OKAY for me to swim, as long as I have someone in the pool with me, in case I was to have a seizure, to get me out immediately. My parents have assisted with the swim team for years, and my brother has also coached the swim team for at least six years and been on it from the age of 4-18. So, I have good swimmers ready to help when we go. = )

Anyway, one thing I forgot to ask, and plan on asking before I head off on my cruise (which I leave for on December 26th) is, if I can get in the hottub?
In the end it will be up to her, but I was just curious as to what you all had to say, and as to if your doctors had ever said or had any advice about them.

Hot Tub Warning-Seizures

Hi Kate,
This link turned up in a google search on "hot tubs" "seizure threshold"

[PDF] Health & Safety AlertFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
seizure threshold and a distinct response to potential seizure triggers. ... Avoid situations that may increase body temperature, such as hot tubs or hot ...
http://odmrdd.state.oh.us/health/alerts/alert-9-3-02.pdf

I think we need to design a really cute bathing suit that has a built in floatation device. I think it can be done gracefully.

Most hottub "suggested rules" are that you should stay in longer than "X" number of minutes.

Where deep water is involved use common sense, and don't take undue risks.

Thanks guys. Haha at the swimsuit idea. Good idea! Thanks for the article, also. My google search didn't find so much.

I think I'll call the neurologist office tomorrow and leave a message for her and ask just to be on the safe side, although I assume she'll say no. I also need to know about if I'm going to be sensitive to the sun on any of these medicines I'm on! Sure hope not. *crosses fingers* Spending a cruise inside would NOT be fun. Plus, a day in Cozumel all covered up? No thanks!

Good to ask, as I seem to remember that there was one mentioned.
You will have fun if you look at all of the things you can do and not what you can't.
Buy yourself a really sexy hat.

Robin:

THANKS!! But apparently "Hot Tubs" became
a trend in Japan I can't remember if it was
this year or last year, and it triggered seizures
but I didn't pay attention to all the details,
and my memory is vague.

But my Neuro years ago told me I couldn't
take hot showers, but he never said why.
However, I think around early to mid-90s
one of my good Neuro told me that if I went
into a Hot Tub or took a Hot Shower it may
very well provoke a seizure, but that was
all he said.

I appreciate it Robin! Thanks again!

I use the hot-tub down the gym after a workout to release any tension in the muscles.

Although I find it to be a great stress-reliever, a nice place to be after a loooong day, and a great 'eczema helper', I really would avoid it like the plague if I've had a sz session any time in the previous day, just due to the shear temperature of the things.

Just think twice before using it, and monitor yourself.

Like Robin put - alot of these pieces of equipment DO have time limits. I feel that they SHOULD all have limits, but unfortunately not all are marked up.

I would be interested to know what your neuro says as I am an avid swimmer too. I used to compete but now I find it a great stress reliever and means to stay fit.

I go to jacuzis ALL the time and I've never had a seizure because of using the jacuzi. I can't speak for everyone though.

I go to jacuzis ALL the time and I've never had a seizure because of using the jacuzi. I can't speak for everyone though.

I know where you're coming from. :hi5:

It's just that the jacuzzi down our gym has had the temperature REAL high in the past, and after doing a workout I find you just have to be that little bit extra-careful. Sometimes it seems as though the temperature is being set by a comedian where it's sooo hot.

Dang it Bernard!.....

....you beat me to that one.

Kate, just don't go in ALONE!....it IS a cruise, right?
Think of it as a chance to meet some new people!
:rock:

Okay, I called my neurologist today and left a message for her. Her nurse talked to her and than her nurse called me back very quickly. = )

Great news, I can use the hot tub!!! :woot:I just have to have someone with me, just like I do with the swimming pool, and I also have to watch how long I'm in it, and not get too hot. Just use good judgment, etc. I actually have bad asthma, so, if I get overheated I have an asthma attack, and I never can handle hot tubs too long anyway, I hardly ever get ALL the way in them, and I hardly ever sit in one for more than five minutes.

As to the sun, none of the medicine I'm on should cause any abnormal reactions. Luckily for me, I was a water baby, and spent summers in the sun all my life. I tan easily and it takes A LOT to make me burn. However, I will be extra careful since I know I'll be more likely to burn on a cruise near Mexico! I actually already have me a sexy black hat that will protect me from the sun and it will go nice with a nice simple black dress, hehe.

Well you are going to have a great time. I am really glad that you got the go ahead.
You have had enough parents here telling you what they would do, so go and have a wonderful trip.

I totally agree. Always have somebody in the pool/water/hottub nearby and come up with a hand signal if you think you're going to be in trouble.
I almost drowned in water, but got out of a pool just in time. My aura/warning was long enough to save my life.

Back
Top Bottom