How do you do it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Everyone on this forum seems to be so positive about their epilepsy. I just wanna know how you can remain so upbeat! It affects us in so many ways. It gets to me so much sometimes and I end up taking my frustration out on the people I love.

I don't like jokes about epilepsy but there must be some other way to look on the bright side? I just hate being so bitter about it all :(

In not all positive at all, in fact I think the whole situation is a load of bulls&@t. I hate it, it's made my life hell. But I have epilepsy now and as much hate for it as I have, I also have to get on with life. I have no choice. And when I get on with it I'm so much happyier! I hope you can try get past just living with epilepsy, and start putting it I the back ground as get on with it! Ella

I'm not positive about epilepsy at all -- but I am positive about human resilience in the face of being dealt a sh*tty epilepsy hand.

It's ok to be bitter.
Seizures, the way they affect our lives, the side effects of meds, the exhaustion, the loss of independence, the depression that can accompany it...it's all pure and utter schizer.
I try to smile and get through the days because I don't want to give in and let them win.
I don't want to miss out on life just because of them.
So, are we upbeat? Or are we trying to force ourselves to look past this? Sure, the grass is greener on the other side but I can still grow a garden. (cliched, I know, sorry)

I absolutely take it out on the ones I love too. I drive my husband batty and can make life miserable for him. My kids know when Mommy isn't feeling well and when Mommy is uber grumpy. I hope they understand and still know that I love them and appreciate them and that perhaps tomorrow will be a better day. That's what I tell them anyways.

I try to do anything to distract myself on those bad days...even if it means putting on some sappy music and have a good cry. Or rage as I scrub the heck out of the tub.
It's a fight. But it's a fight I plan to win.

You get use to it.. I had a heart attack in 2008 - took me over two years to come to terms with that. Each seizure comes anew.. then life goes on :)

I think there is no point dwelling on the things in life you have no control of. Having Epilepsy sucks big time, but there is nothing I can do about it. Best to focus on the positive things in life.

To be honest i've been pretty bitter about it since i got diagnosed but then so much else has happened. I can't change it so the best thing to do is just get on with it and deal with it. I'm sure "deal with it" should be my new family motto lol. (Currently it's Fortus in Arduis - Strength in Adversity)

It took me over twelve years to be able to truly be positive with epilepsy...sometimes. A few things happened to change the opinion I once had. I've been with my current doctor for somewhere around seven years now and she's just so great, through bad and good. That changed my opinion on epilepsy a lot because my first two neuros were well...not so good. Another thing was that I was a journalism/pr major in college and tended to earn my grades by teaching others about something most had never heard of and also what I was going through. That was just kinda cool. Finally, just a couple weeks ago in fact, I found out that one of my second graders is on the verge of an epilepsy diagnosis pending a mri. Her mom pulled me aside before class and told me that she's going through a rough time and keep an eye on her, maybe I would even be able to help. Of course I can. That's pretty cool too.

Last edited:
I just accepted that epilepsy is a part of me & I try to remind myself that there are people worse then me.
We have a really good family friend who has epilepsy & has had it for about 40 years. This friend has helped me deal with some issues I had with my epilepsy & is like my mentor.

How do I do it? I don't know, I just do.

I try to find something positive to look forward to each day. Being a day at the mall, seeing a movie, or going out to eat. I try to live my life the most normal way possible. If you dwell
on all the bad, it just makes you feel worse. That could bring on more seizures, or other health problems. You just have to stay positive. Many days it's a tough thing to do, but to stay healthier you need to do it.

:)

It is a pretty shitty situation to deal with. It took me a few years to be able to laugh about it. It makes it easier when talking to people who pretty much know exactly what you're going through. Don't get me wrong, at first it does turn your life upside down, and it is not at all funny, but the best way to deal with something for me, is find humor in it.

Also, i know not everyone is religious, but if you are, it helps me to think that God chose me to have this condition because he knew I could handle it. And, in a way it kind of saved my life from alcoholism, and eating like shit. I've been treating my body way better since I began having seizures.

I know it's hard but try to find a silver lining in it somewhere, and I know it's kind of dark, but you'll feel a lot better when you can laugh at yourself. It helped me feel more in control because other than meds, there's really nothing you can do about it.

Stay strong buddy, and just think, most people that are going to read this have pissed themselves in public as a grown up, including me. haha

Everyone on this forum seems to be so positive about their epilepsy. I just wanna know how you can remain so upbeat! It affects us in so many ways. It gets to me so much sometimes and I end up taking my frustration out on the people I love.

I don't like jokes about epilepsy but there must be some other way to look on the bright side? I just hate being so bitter about it all :(

yes it very much piss me off....there lots people on forum who feel same,is your bitterness all down to e or are you using it for that reason

I realized I was wasting my life worrying about the "what ifs". How could I live if I was constantly fearing the unknown. Screw that sh_t. Now I just deal with things as they come. I’ll have time to worry when I’m dead.

Now here’s my cliché statement (I hope you approve LJ). You only have one life to live and have to play the hand you’re dealt.

Lastly, take everything you read with a grain of salt and don’t take it to heart. There are many possible outcomes in our lives. Don’t prematurely decide yours! :)

Rambo, I think we've just accepted that shit happens. Part of shit happening is that we have epilepsy. We can take meds and supplements and change our lifestyles to improve the condition, but we've all accepted that there is no cure. No matter what we do we will always have epilepsy.

As someone also with mental illness, I've learned that every day is a choice. A choice between being happy and unhappy. I can't change the world or cure my epilepsy or depression/anxiety. But I CAN change how it affects me. Start making a conscious choice to stay as positive as possible. It's okay to be realistic. Yes, this all REALLY SUCKS. It's really shitty. And it's okay to be upset about it. But you can't let it consume you. Epilepsy may be a part of you but it is not entirely who you are. There is so much more of you that's special. Realize that.

Make an effort to be happy. Some of us aren't blessed with the "happy" mindset. So we have to work at it. And it isn't easy. But you'll soon find that life does get better and it does get easier, even though the only thing that may have changed is your outlook.

I am curious if my amydala is affected. I have had a lifelong bout of 'depression', but when diagnosed with epilepsy, happiness has improved, who knows why. Maybe the medication has helped or maybe the occasional generalized seizures stabilize the chemistry inside my skull.
One thing I notice is my emotions seem almost nonexistent compared to those of peoples around me.

Some of the meds are also prescribed as mood stabilizers -- maybe they've had that effect on you?

Upbeat you got to be joking. I doubt if you could find anybody who is not bitter with epilepsy. I know for me and I think others might agree - we got dealt a lousy hand and its no picnic but I rule my life not epilepsy, I will always try to be happy.

Ok the meds and the side effects are crap, the depression is unreal when it hits. The questions I have asked myself at times when I get depressed get to you and make things worse. I have lived with this longer than I care to remember, its came close to beating me once or twice. I have never known any other life than one that included epilepsy. As a child I had to fight to prove myself and I did. So why not keep proving myself anyway there are others a lot worse off than me. It happens to me but I will get over it.

Its like CQ:) says Laughter is essential. A smile looks nicer than a frown, all you can do is keep going.

just because I have epilepsy doesn't mean I have to stop trying to hit on women online
kidding kidding
when I do have seizures everything seems wrong - I've been like that the past two days - but I'm not going to let it take over my thoughts more than it has.
I try to move forward
If I had seizures more often I might know more about what you're talking about, but I have seizures maybe once or twice every two months - they're rather controlled, or just not frequent
but, if they were more frequent I may be more used to them than I am now

Last edited:
simple choice,

laugh or cry.
it hurts either way.
but in the simplest is to keep going

I personally think as many people say,the diagnosis is hell,endless bloodwork,tablet dosages up and then different tablets.But everyone is bitter and if they say they are not,then they are a liar.I mean who the fuck wants epilepsy? Exactly no one,but as time passes it does get slightly easier,you adjust.But as Court has said above,the simpilest way is to keep going.

I remember when i was young,a seizure would knock my confidence for weeks,now twenty years later,i say fuck it and keep on going.Its the only way.Good luck people!!!

Back
Top Bottom