How long did your side effects last?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley3297

Reaction score
So, i know its early on, I have only been on Keppra for 5 days, but WOW! The tiredness, headaches, and general lack of energy are exhausting! I have temporarily reduced my hours at work to 5 hours per day, as i literally am stumbling around and tripping over my own two feet due to the absolute exhaustion i am feeling. So, my question to anyone who is, or has been on Keppra, is how long does this last......when is the light at the end of the tunnel going to come?? Does the tiredness actually go away, or do you "learn to deal with it"? Any advice?

When I first started taking the Keppra generic (Levetiracetam), I was extremely tired and fatigued for about a week. The worst was over within a week. After sleeping all the time, by week two, I had a bit more alertness back.

I won't lie, though, I always feel tired on Levetiracetam. When I first started taking it, I don't think I was taking college classes that semester, and I would usually stay up all night/sleep all day type thing and I could get enough sleep, but was still tired. After having kids, was still tired and I don't know if that's because I'm often sleep deprived (but at least at least point I can get 6-8 hours in most nights since neither of my kids are infants anymore).

Seriously, though, I'm always tired. It's a pain. When I was off of Levetiracetam for 15 months with the neurologist's go ahead, I had SOOOO MUCH ENERGYYYYY! I miss feeling that way. I miss my energy. I need my energy for my family, but most days, I don't have it.

Although, I was put back on the Levetiracetam recently, except on the XR version since my neurologist is trying to keep the lowest dose possible that works. I have gotten more energy back, but am still tired. However, I think I was losing a lot of energy because I was having seizures in my sleep.

These days, I have to try to push through the fatigue, but I feel best when my vitamin D levels are better, too. If your vitamin D levels are low, I feel like this medication makes it worse. I feel like if I have adequate vitamin D, it isn't so bad. B vitamins help, too, as many with seizures are often in need of B6 or B12 among others.

I guess my best answer is I did get less tired and fatigued, but with the tiredness that tends to linger I have learned to deal with it. Although, I find I have a ton more energy if my nutrition is good.

I hope that all makes sense. Feel better soon!

Yeah that all makes sense. My B12 and folate are low to begin with, so i have started supplements of both. I also have sleep apnea to deal with, and am on CPAP, so i generally try to get a solid 7 hours a night minimum sleep, although the sleep i do get is rarely the "good" sleep. I have recently started to do about a 70% plant based diet, with a TON of veggies, and good protein mixed in. The other 30% is lean wild harvested venison, turkey, and fish of all kinds as i am a huge hunter/fisherwomen:) So I am trying to do all the things i should......

Yeah that all makes sense. My B12 and folate are low to begin with, so i have started supplements of both. I also have sleep apnea to deal with, and am on CPAP, so i generally try to get a solid 7 hours a night minimum sleep, although the sleep i do get is rarely the "good" sleep. I have recently started to do about a 70% plant based diet, with a TON of veggies, and good protein mixed in. The other 30% is lean wild harvested venison, turkey, and fish of all kinds as i am a huge hunter/fisherwomen:) So I am trying to do all the things i should......

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

I remember when I was at my best on this medication, we lived near a farm that did share bags. We were using lots of produce and started going for the weekly bag. I had so much energy, I forgot I was on medication half the time. I did take it, but wasn't thinking about my seizures at all. I've been so tired it's been harder to cook, but I really need to get into doing more green juices again because I know that helped me out tremendously.

I hope over time that the fatigue and tiredness will taper off. :)

I haven't tried Keppra, but when I went on Lamictal it took at least a month before things simmered down...

Hi Shelley,

I was on keppra for about 1 month and it made it gave me a hot temper and it really didn't help me much
with my seizures so I went on vimpat and that helped me much better. What has helped me the most is cbd oil.
Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

I've tried a lot of meds. I can tell pretty much immediately if a drug isn't going to work. Since you haven't been on seizure meds before, I would give it at least a few weeks. Your "side" effects will subside somewhat, but if you are actually stumbling around you may not be able to tolerate Keppra. Be very specific and detailed when you tell your doctor. Make notes to take to your appointment.

There are a lot of drugs available now. It may take a long time to find the best ones for you.

IMHO, I think that the side effects do reduce somewhat over the first weeks, but I also think you simply get used to feeling bad, and develop mental skills to deal with it. The drugs themselves make it difficult to tell how bad you feel. I've gone off some meds, and only then realized how bad I had felt on them. I don't know how I managed.

Make sure you are getting enough carbs. If you are avoiding starches too much you may be burning through the veggie carbs too quickly. The vegetables will prevent ketosis, so if you are not eating often enough you'll get tired. Try eating some simple carbs like hard candy, honey, or fruit to see if it helps. If so, then you may need to make some modifications.

thanks Matthew, that is good advice, and actually i am going to try to take it. Right now, i have already had to adapt my diet some, as i used to be a person who ate very little in the morning, but much better later in the day. I dont know if it's the meds, or just the whole situation, but i have been really nauseous later in the day, enough to not allow me to eat after lunch, so temporarily, i am trying to get a good healthy breakfast, and lunch at least. I have already lost about 12 lbs in the last month since my seizure. Strange because i actually used to be more of a stress eater.

Back
Top Bottom