How long does it take you to really recover from a tonic-clonic?

How long does it take you to really recover from a tonic-clonic?

• I don't have t-c's

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • under 30 minutes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • the rest of the day

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • a day

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • a couple days

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • a week or longer

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I never really recover

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I should have responded "never". I now have two half dollar lumps on the top of my head that I will take with me to the furnace. They are the result of Deep Brain Stimulation surgery for the implantation of electrodes at the base of my brain where all movement control is accomplished by the Thalamus.

the reason for the procedure was to treat the symptoms of an awful hand and arm tremor brought on by Depekote. The tremors continued and worsened after withdrawal from the stuff for years, and they continue. Neurostimulators have been implanted in my chest and cables run up to the electrodes. There's so much hardware between my scalp and skull that I joke that if you run your hand over my head you'll think you're petting a Klingon. Just call me Worf. Hey, I could do a LOT worse, as he was about the most logical and admirable crew member on the Enterprise, not Spock. I even have a pager sized 'patient programmer' with which I can turn them on and off and adjust the frequency, pulse width, and amplitude. Once in a while I have to go in literally for a tune-up. With Essential Tremor, not Parkinson's, they are not needed when inactive. It's only a problem when I have to do something with my hands; like shave or drink or eat. It is especially frustrating for me because I'm an artist and miniaturist. But they work beautifully. after ten years of this crap it seems like a genuine miracle to be able to switch it on and watch my hands suddenly steady up rock solid! I got my life back.

My seizures began when a lousy doctor prescribed two meds for me that are well documented to cause convulsions and seizures without even asking a damn thing about my family history. I have two uncles with Epilepsy. Thanks a lot, jerk.

So: The medical pros "gave" me Epilepsy, then they helped me overcome it to some degree, then they "gave" me another disease, and now (2 yr. ago) they've "given" me symptom relief. I always have to wonder what's next...

Then again, I guess we all do. I always say, "Everybody got sumthin. This is just mine" We all have challenges to meet. We all have mountains to climb. Some have far worse disabilities than I, and many of them don't even show. Imagine being absolutely consumed with greed. Imagine being incapable of giving or receiving love. Imagine constant anger. How about overwhelming jealousy? I'll take my Grand Mals and shaky hands, thank you.

I'd say one day for my muscles to recover.. about a week for my tongue. emotionally sometimes a week or two. then start the process again..

anyone else fall into depression after a tc? happens to me every time.

Yes! I am ALWAYS depressed afterwards. Now that I've learned that these events/episodes I've been having most of 2013 were actually partials, that is depressing each time they occur as well.

pccoder,
I sure am depressed as well, and also deeply disappointed. I thought everybody felt that way, and that the operative question might actually be who ISN'T depressed. See? I've just learned something. This forum is wonderful.

For me it depends on how acceptable of a recovery you want. Takes me 20-90 minutes to walk walk again. 2-4 hours to not feel like death. 6-12 hours for most cramping to go away. 48 hours for all of it. Worst case yet, 4 days to recover fully, mental and physical.

Last edited:
I'm never really depressed after a t/c, but my natural irritability is at all time highs. I'm dizzy, my head hurts, and I don't want to do anything, including talk to people. Most of the people in my life have learned and accepted this. If you're going to ask me if I'm ok every 5 minutes for 2 hours, put the women and children to bed because, I'm cussing you out. "Thanks, I'm good. Just let me be" accompanied with a thumbs-up means just that.

I know what you mean about people hovering over you and asking if you're OK. I know they mean well (especially my wife), but most times I would just prefer to be alone and then to go to sleep if I can. That's why I have the Xanax.

A couple of days. Afterwards I feel sore, depressed, angry, my perceptions are off, and I just feel off.

I believe I had some T/Cs that took hours to get over but the worst took about a day and a half just laying in bed. It really gave me a taste of what others go through on a more common basis. I've had my taste and will take my medicine from now on, doc. :)

I have some "sustained" tonic-clonics where it does not stop, whereby i wake up in the ICU a day later and have to rest there for a couple days then i am still 'wonky' for another couple days, might have something to do with the muscle relaxants or whatever they gave my body to stop the seizing.

Janus,
They might well have used a drug called Atavan. When I was in for my three day video EEG I began to seize (NO surprise there, they also took away my drugs) really badly. Linda says that when they gave me Atavan I relaxed almost instantly and slept like a baby for about 12 hours. It left me tired, but happy I didn't have to experience the after effects of the Gran Mal as badly. I had experienced a near fatal 'borderline' Status Epilepticus as a result of fatigue and tension after working hard all day and into the night to move my automobile shop before the lease ran out. I know MUCH better now.

I'm still recovering from a minor t/c last night. This seizure was an odd one for me because, I was awake while it was happening. Deja vu and extreme Terror grew stronger and wasn't stopping. I remember it all so well, But I find it hard explain to others. Now, I'm feeling Horrible, Depressed, tires ,and I bit my tongue It's all Just plain Awful !!
(I don't like having Epilepsy)
It usually take me about 7-10 days to feel normal. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow:)

I'll chime in here. I've always taken a day or two to recover properly. Though I've not had violent seizures, my muscles are achy and my jaw aches (never bit my tongue) and I always wake up crying. At first I do not know who I am or where I am. And I feel very sad and depressed. I sleep 12-16 hours after. Looking back, I really have no memories of the seizure itself, or of getting up and moving to couch or bed. So there's some memory loss permanent. My dr. thinks my seizures have caused some damage, and my seizures are fairly gently, described by my sister as like a dog dreaming in its sleep. Woof!

I usually ask about my seizure activity afterwards. I used to get horribly sad and depressed. I guess after twenty six years of wrenching, tongue destroying, teeth chipping back injuring Gran Mals I've gotten used to it. Now I just feel like I've let myself down, as if I could do anything to prevent the onset. I always maintain that while the seizure is 'active' I'm not there. Only before and after. Almost nobody with whom I've spoken escapes some small memory loss of the preictal and postictal periods.

I've been lucky with no injuries other than scraped the inside of my cheeks a couple of times. The first three TC I was up and pretty much OK 24 hours later or so. I had one Tuesday (first in 3 years) and still feel weak/numbish, have had the occasional leg twitch. Doc says MRI and Lamictal levels are fine. EEG is Wednesday.

Thanks Motorbill66,
I recovered fairly quickly this time-2 days, but still depressed.

I voted and said a week - but I should have put multiple selections as the option - because I guess no one ever really recovers - don't we each get a nice new little atomic scar every seizure we have? or how about "neural tattoo" instead of "scar"

I'd say one day for my muscles to recover.. about a week for my tongue. emotionally sometimes a week or two. then start the process again..

anyone else fall into depression after a tc? happens to me every time.
I am same as you. I usually feel horrible for 1 day at least and 2 at the worst. Maybe one of the worst side effects is laying in bed being too weak to do anything and having to endure daytime TV for a whole day and too tired to change the channel from vacuum cleaner and exercise machine ads for part of it. :(

After my first one, I was out of it all day and my body took a few more days to feel better. The last 3 I was able to bounce back either later the same day or the next. The tongue and cheek took a few weeks to fully heal up each time.

Back
Top Bottom