How long does Keppra take to dissolve into your body?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike758

New
Reaction score
Last night I got a stomach virus and threw up 30 minutes after taking my PM dose. I retook it and threw up again two hours later so I took another dose. The third time it was morning so I called my doctor only to get the secretary who said keep retaking it. I then called the pharmacy and they said all I needed was the second dose and that two hours was long enough. They also said take my morning dose as usual once I’m done yacking which I did. I’m hoping I’ll be ok, but don’t know who’s advice is right. I was also told there’s an IV form I can take in the ER, but was only told to do that if my vomiting got out of control.

Everyone's metabolism is different, but Keppra is known to get into the system very quickly compared to other seizure meds. Not only is it rapidly absorbed (it can reach peak concentration in your blood within 1.3 hours), but it's bioavailability is more than 95%. Which means that almost all of it that enters your system gets to your brain to do its job.

I hope you feel better! And stay seizure-free.

Back
Top Bottom