How long have you had Epilepsy?

How long have you had Epilepsy?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mine is hereditary because one of my cousins has it. Mine started when I was 12, so that's like 8 years ago.

I've had epilepsy since I was 12 years old, roughly. One morning I woke up and felt like something weird was about to happen, and then I went status epilepticus and starting having focal seizures back to back nonstop until they put drugs in me. Since then, I've had seizures daily and been on depakote and keppra. Recently the focal seizures turned into generalized tonic clonic seizures and I've had to take my epilepsy a lot more seriously.

I have had seizures since I was Second grade now 30, petite mild in and out of the hospital since I can remember it seems. I'm not driving after the freeway accident and working is hard at times. My kids are the best thing in my life, so I try to find the silver lining. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've had seizures for 22 years now,some brought on by my own stupidity others just seizures out off the blue.But there's nothing i can do but work around it and rely on my family an friends and off course CWE.

Not sure what the answer really is

I was diagnosed with absence seizures when I was 11 (14 years ago). However, it had been happening for about 2 years before I was finally diagnosed. It went away when I turned 15 for 5 years. Clean EEGs and no meds. I had my first Tonic-Clonic when I was 20. I'm now 25. My seizures are now labeled "partial onset with secondary generalization." So what is the actual answer to your question?

I used to faint a lot at school, between the age of 13-16 - this have diagnosed this as postural tachycardia syndrome.
When I turned 16 I was attacked by a girl at school, I don't remember much about it except I was told I broke her nose - and then she picked me up by my throat (her being 6 foot and quite large, and me being 5 food and very small I couldn't do much to get free) and I lost consciousness.

After that my faints turned to seizures - it could be coincidental.
I am 22 now and still uncontrolled.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I had my first seizure when I was around eight I am now fifty four it is possible the cause was being hit in the head by a golf club. I have had periods when I have been relatively seizure free but then they start up again for some reason.

I'll say 40 years (since birth)

I've had Simple Partials since childhood. My Complex Partials (that I know of) began about 16 years ago--don't know if I have ever had any before then. I had 2 or 3 Tonic Clonics when I was 14--none since.

Since I had a TBI. In 1986. Then I started complex partials but it got worse. In 2000 (the year) . Tonic clonic sometimes status. I am free of them for 3 weeks now. Scared of possible "break out" I think that's what you call it.

"diagnosed" at 24, but I have had seizures since I was 7 (I'm adopted so it isn't clear if I've had these since I was born, but my assumption is 'yes' because when my parents adopted me, they were told multiple times that I was "retarded" - even by the judge. So I suspect that this time in Russia, they didn't understand the symptoms of epilepsy or seizures, and assumed it was part of, excuse the term: "retardation"). My diagnosis is very early because doctors wouldn't listen to me when I would correlate my symptoms to epilepsy until a female doctor was tired of me pushing the issue and referred me to a neurologist. Needless to say, doctors piss me off and I half-listen to them.

I voted based on when I was diagnosed (31-49 years) but my neuros all have said they think I've had it since I was very young.

I've had seizures for 47 yrs. I started having them in 1972 at the age of 10 yrs. old.
Wishing You only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Everyone could go up a category in the poll by now! I am at 57 years now.

I wonder where everyone went? I know a couple aren't with us any more but so many posters have disappeared. It makes me wonder how they are all doing now.

Everyone could go up a category in the poll by now! I am at 57 years now.

I wonder where everyone went? I know a couple aren't with us any more but so many posters have disappeared. It makes me wonder how they are all doing now.
I 1st replied to the this post in 2007 when I originally joined.
I guess you could say I’ve had epilepsy 41 years as my seizures originally started when I as 9 months (I’m 42 in September) but I was 21 years seizure free so they returned 17 years ago when I as 24.

I honestly do not know .my mother would have not been sympathetic to that diagnosis and felt shame I had things that pointed to epilepsy but also had a few head injuries as an adult which could have caused it too I will never know.

My Tonic Clonic Seizures started one morning at 15 when I was looking out the window. I had them almost daily for the next 45 years. It’s been 52 years since my diagnosis.

Have had epilepsy since the age of 1, still recall the news from my Mom how it came about, Back in the day there was Diphtheria shot - I was born in 1968. Went into 104 degree fever after that shot and everything went downhill afterward.

-sue bear

Back
Top Bottom