How long...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

truegrit

Stalwart
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack Bigman's thread about his recovery so I thought I'd start one for everybody. So, feel free to post how long you've been seizure free since surgery. for me it's been 2 months now:)

I was 2 years seizure free after my surgery then the seizures returned. It was just after I was taken off Tegretol so I'm thinking my brain didnt like only being on 1 med.

About 9 years, though I had what I would call a handful of tiny "blips" about 4 years ago and I upped my medication.

I've just passed the 2 year marker, can't believe how quickly time has flown!, but I've been seizure free since.

I'm still on keppra and lamotrigine, I did question my Neurologist when I'd be able to get taken off them. He mentioned keppra, and I'm also booked in to see the neurosurgeon to give him an update next month, so I'll question him regarding the medications.

It's SCARY to hear people talk about going this long, then having their seizures return. I really don't know how I'd cope with that.

Very happy to hear where others have had a plus with their surgery, and sorry CQ:) the seizure world slipped back (congrats for a couple years.) My first surgery was the remove AVM which was believed to be the cause of my seizures. May have been the start in my epilepsy world but didn’t, get me seizure free. Seizures slowly got worse to the point it was control of my life based of periods I could have full control of brain use. So I was sent back in for surgery two, then within a month to seizure party number 3. After the third surgery they were worried large chunk of memory was going to be lost and that I would no longer be able th speak. They were too nice trying to make life a bit nicer but alas, didn’ Work other that seizures not as strong and often periods of a couple months seizure free. Few years later they started being worse again, the neurologist said he’d like to go back for another surgery; my reply there was no, get me better drugs. That’s where I live today, carbamazepine and my second drug many tries until lamotrigine. Frees me now of relatively minor seizures three weeks or so.

Always so nice to hear where others get free from seizures, very nice. Even when seizures are dropped in a good way, that is a plus. Fingers crossed for all to better life, be it seizure free or much milder.

Sorry if my wording is off...

Very happy to hear where others have had a plus with their surgery, and sorry CQ:) the seizure world slipped back (congrats for a couple years.).
Thanks Cadsji
My surgery was in 2011 and the seizures returned in 2013 not long after I was taken off tegretol. I always knew there was a chance they could return and the surgery wasn’t a cure. Only thing I had to adjust to was how the seizures changed after surgery, still having partials just different to how they were before.

I don’t take my epilepsy for granted and every day seizure free is a good day.
At this stage my neuro is still working with meds to control the seizures and hadn’t discussed a 2nd surgery.

Apologies -- I just realized this thread is about being seizure-free since surgery (I haven't had surgery). best of luck for those pre- or post- surgery...

As of today, I'm six months seizure free. I feel better than I've felt in years In a couple of weeks I go for an overnight EEG
to see how things are looking.

In three days now it will be 7monthes. I justed had an overnight EEG two weeks ago and it showed no seizure activity. We've started getting off Depakote and should be completely off in 8 weeks:)

In three days now it will be 7monthes. I justed had an overnight EEG two weeks ago and it showed no seizure activity. We've started getting off Depakote and should be completely off in 8 weeks:)
That's great Truegrt
Good luck with coming off the Depakote

i was +6 months till a few weeks ago. i was actually starting to price motorcycle body work

i was +6 months until a few weeks ago. I was actually starting to price motorcycle bodywork
Oh man that (sucks). I've also been thinking of getting my drivers permit and looking at job ads.
I hope things get better.

Eight months now and I won our town council race.:)
Not bad coma to the council in 8 months

As of today, I am seizure-free for the first time in at least 20years. By the way, How is "Big Man"

That's awesome truegrit!

Not sure about BigMan, it's been a while since he's posted. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom