How may aed's do you take

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have epilepsy and every time I get took into hosp they just seem toad another AED ive currently just been taken in hosp for status epilepticus I was fitting for a long time was was given diazepam midazolam sodium valproate and phenytoin plus ma normal meds to stop te seizures. T have taken away the diazepam n phenytoin now but I take lorazepam midazolam clobazam lamotragine topiramate and epilim aswell oh and I also have a vagal nerve stmulator implanted in my chest ans aswell as drugs for other illnesses as a result of epilepsy xx what drugs do use take do use take as many I want to kknow if its normal to take so many or not. x

I want to kknow if its normal to take so many or not.
I'm only on one anti-seizure med -- lamotrigine. But I don't think there's any "normal" with epilepsy -- there are so many variations from person to person. I think the aim is always to take as few anti-seizure meds as possible, but for some folks it takes a combination to bring the seizures under control. If you feel that your multiple meds are hurting more than they are helping, then you should have a discussion with your neurologist about tapering off one or more of them. I would be a tad concerned about the lorazepam/midazolam/clobazam since all three of those benzodiazepines can cause dependence with long-term use.

I am on 3 anti-seizure meds - lamictal, trileptal and keppra.

I am currently on 2 Tegretol and Clonazepam. At one point last year I was on 4. It feels like a guessing game until they find the right combination.

I am currently on just 1 med - Keppra, but from 2003 - 2012 I was on at less 2 Anti Epilepsy meds at a time & for 12 months I was on 3 meds.

According to my daughters neurologist at Cleveland Clinic, if you are on any more than two (not counting emergency medication) they probably are not the right ones for you. I would recommend anyone with epilepsy read her book "the Cleveland Clinic's Guide to Epilepsy" by Dr Elaine Wyllie. It talks a little about everything in a way that is easy to understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take Tegretol,Topamax,Onfi,Phenobarb.

I definitely don't need someone telling me about epilepsy by reading a book I've had it 50 years and I'm refractory.

Sorry If I offended you Belinda5000. My daughter has only been diagnosed for about a year. I found the resource very helpful and thought I would share it with others. It's a different approach than all the pharmacology and physiology I am use to at work and school. Just thought I would share it with others. Again, I am sorry I offended you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on 1 pill and i will go through all the one pill med before i try any combination of meds. Bad enough to find all the problems with one med, then have to deal with multiply meds. Using the drug i'm on now, i've managed to control my seizures to happen in the mornings. Which is a blessing in my opinion, since none of the other meds would do that, or i just didn't figure out the way to make them do that.

When i was on lamotrigine, the side effects didn't really start till like 6 months into taking the drug. Rather than helping my seizures, it made them 10x worse. Since i was on only one drug, it was obvious what the culprit was.

Forgot to mention the emergency pills i now have, but i don't count them as part of my regular pills.

I think if mixing the drugs would help, then the med companies would make such drugs. But since the docs do the mixing, the drug companies are no longer responsibility for the doctors actions on which drugs they mix.

:piano: :pop:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom