Hungry after seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

B.West

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody whats up? my name is Brayton and I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 15 but have definately had it longer not realizing what it was. I have simple partial siezures that cause my vision to go kinda physcodellic as well as making me really weak and tired afterwards. When I was younger I would have a seizure at least once a day. When I was around 20-22 I hardly had any seizures at all. Now however (I'm 23) I am having them often again. The seizures always happen during physical activity and I think they are back with a vengenance because I started a new job that causes me to get up at 3 am and I am sleep deprived. One thing that I have always wondered however is why I get so damn hungry after a seizure. Particularlly I crave anything high in sugar and tend to go on a bit of a binge on things like pop tarts and ice tea(No idea why) . Any ideas why this happens and how I can combat it? Thanx alot for the help I really appreciate it.

Welcome B.

Good to have you here. Quite a few people here (like myself) that have had E for the majority of their lives.

I know after a seizure I used to sometimes feel hungry but it was for something bready that would fill me up. A long time ago a friend of mine who was a medical student about to write her board exam told me that after a seizure the persons sugar level drops. That might be why you crave sugar & I craved carbs. Just be aware that starting a cycle of making your blood sugar peak & drop is conducive to increasing seizure activity.

I also used to have to get up before the sun for a job. It almost killed me for the first week or 2 but once I got used to an early schedule I felt better than when I was able to sleep in. My advice would be give it a while until you adapt.

Ah that explains alot. Than for the info, unfortunately my docs never told me much so I have to find whatever info I can get on the internet but that would definately explain the sugar cravings and probably the weakness to. Thanx for the advice :)

Wow, I totally have the same thing too! I will just crave pasta or cereal or other carbs like there is no tomorrow. but, now whenever I get super hungry (like when you know you've left eating out for too long you feel light-headed) I will have a seizure.

Seems like the littlest things set me off lately. But at least I have reason to eat more! yay!

Yes, I get hungry after a seizure.
my blood sugar really affects my seizure threshold and how easy it is for me to get a seizure. I used to carry powerbars in my bag, or candy

Some of the meds have made me crave sugar (lamictal seems to do that). If you're having seizures after physical activity that's definitely a sign to take it easy and make sure you are properly hydrated, and are getting the right balance of nutrients over the course of the day. Five small meals are better than 3 big ones for keeping your bllod suagr levels more stable. Also a bioting supplement can sometimes help with that (and biotin levels are often low in people with epilepsy).

hey! i've had e (documented) since i was 14 and im 23 now also. i dont get hungry but not SUPER hungry. thats probably because lack of food for too long might contribute to it but i do get insanely thirsty afterwards. doc says some of the meds do that. maybe its just the same w/ u. some meds make u hungry. i've noticed on this site that people seem to react to the same meds differently..

hey

hey guys im new here so i thought i'd check out some forums. ive had epilepsy since i was 7 years old (20 now) and yeah after I have a grand mal siezure i typically drink ALOT of grape soda. I never drink grape soda in any other occasion lol but it taste so good after a seizure for some reason.

Hello Brayton and ksa,

Just had to chuckle at the Pop Tarts and grape soda references. I've always loved both - and I'm nearly 50 (I've gotta cut out the pop tarts though :(.

I just arrived here too and am thrilled at the information, great advice and 'warmth' I've found.

Wishing you both (heck, everyone here) a happy and healthy day!!

I (used to) have to have apple yum yums after a bad seizure, takes careof the need for both carbs AND sugar at once, (i used to kid myself that as it had apple in it was good for me lol). Dunno what to swap it for now we're gluten-free.....

I also get a craving for olives!!! black ones, green ones, pickled, spiced, kalmata. doesnt matter just get them to me if I ask to avoid a bad mood. lol

I can't

even DREAM of eating after a seizure.....I bite through both sides of my tongue! I do know that my family forces me to eat, but it's usually soft foods that they put plenty of salt on to help my tongue heal, and they make me gargle with REALLY salty water.......

Right after a seizure, I am usually too nauseas to eat anything. I remember laying on the bathroom floor one night after one because I couldn't get rid of the nausea.

However, later when the headaches start to go away, I am ravenous and can't get enough food. Personally, I think it is due to all of the energy spent during a seizure. Tonic-clonic seizures use so much energy flexing almost every muscle in the body beyond the normal limits. Remember how strong our movements can be.

Some of your other comments support metabolic imbalances consistent with those experienced after extreme workouts (we are all marathon runners). This all needs restored to balance.

:cheers:
Welcome to the new guys!!!
:cheers:

Hungry? I was always the other way. Never hungry, not even light. Just really thirsty.

Yeah I'm often thirsty afterwards. I can relate Meetz, my tongue is always damaged afterwards and it hurts just to move it, let alone eat. But I do need water.

I always get hot flashes and then immediate chills after. It's strange.

Back
Top Bottom