[Info] Hypnosis Help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Hello guys.
I had an intersting thought just now. My co-workers were talking about stop smoking aids, and one of them brought up hypnosis. So this got me thinking. Can hypnosis help with stopping or reducing seizures?
or even self hypnosis?

I realize this probably would be more affective with people who have pseudo-seizures or ones cause by psychological ailments. But what if this cant help to raise the seizure threshold or help the person "forget" or ignore known triggers? or maybe even trick the brain into not seizing. Like you have an aura, and when youve been hypnotized your brain subconciously recognizes it wasnt supposed to do that.

What are your thoughts and has anyone ever tried it *for seizures or anything else*

Thanks

I used the search feature, and couldnt find any threads that sounded like this...

dunno

I have read a book on self hypnosis. That was thirty years ago. It requires intense study. It also requires a support team to get you meals and whatnot.
Obviously, I didn't get far with it.
However, if you can get someone to help you out, especially if something goes wrong, you can give it a try.

That's an

interesting thought, Rae. I'd have to do some deeper digging into it to give you a good answer. It might work....

I wonder if it would work along the same lines as neurofeedback, with the re-training of the brain accomplished through hypnotic suggestion as opposed to EEG games.

I read about someone who saw video of herself having a seizure, and was so shocked that she never had another seizure. The mind works in mysterious ways...

Rae, Nak has something here, mentioning neurofeedback. Though, I've come to understand that it's time consuming and costly. I wish I had the means to explore it because ultimatley I'd like to be med free.

I did come across some information for you about Epilepsy and hypnosis. Not lengthly but there is something to self hypnosis but with a word of caution.

Self Hypnosis is Safe

"If you think of self hypnosis as deep relaxation you can understand that the worst thing that can happen is you fall asleep. You might have noticed on my Hypnosis CDs that if you suffer from Epilepsy that you should not use the CD without speaking to your doctor first, the reason behind this is that in some rare forms of Epilepsy the simple act of relaxation can cause a reaction. Self Hypnosis is as safe as going to bed each night.[quote:6daba24b50="charles vald"] Self Hypnosis is as safe as going to bed each night.[/quote:6daba24b50] Talking of such things; is it better to listen to a cd during the day or at night before bed? The reason I ask is that I tend to enjoy using hypnosis as a *way* of getting to sleep; my belief being that it will be just as effective, if not more effective because your conscious mind is well and truly out of the way (I think that belief stems from school, where we were told to record ourselves reading through text books, and to listen to the tapes as we were falling asleep!) So, I'm wondering if it is more beneficial to bring yourself around afterwards and go on about your day, or whether it is better to fall asleep listening to the hypnosis? TIA wingsoflove (wingsoflove)

That is very interesting - I look forward to others views on that one. My wife has listended to a weight loss hypnosis CD at bed time before but it brings her back round at the end and although she is feeling relaxed she then cannot get off to sleep so she has found it better to use at another time of the day."

I wonder if hypnosis might help. I've heard stories that hypnosis has been used to cure an incurable case of warts, and it's been used as an alternative to chemical anesthesia, so why not as an aid with seizures?

Getting rid of warts? really? Chad has some *gross I know* on his foot, and we have never been able to get rid of them.

The foot warts (plantar warts) can be removed using the stuff that freezes them off (available from the drugstore). It takes a few applications, but it works.

We have tried the liquid nitrogen, we tried the acid stuff and the medicated wart stuff. the bandaids, the covers, the creams, he had the layer of skin cut off. and nothing gets rid of them. its so gross.

My cousin

swears by the duct tape thing for plantar's warts....

Very interesting question. Why not, our brains are completely in control. I guess I've been kind of doing it already. I've been trying really hard to keep away from old triggers and when I encounter one I slip into my old yoga breathing and tell myself no its not going to happen. I had surgery this past summer and though they removed the focus (a lesion) along with damaged brain matter and my hippocampus. I was afraid my the brain, as smart as it is, would find a new way to have a seizure. I mean the healthy side had already learned how to do the things the damaged side couldn't do years ago so why not relearn how to seize. So I'm trying to discipline my unruly child until she behaves herself on her own and yes it all sounds similar to that learned in neurofeedback.

Back
Top Bottom