I am so upset

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So how does one pick the guard dog over the 'everybodies sweetie'?

shelly,

some dogs are just born to be guard dogs...training if you have a bigger guard dog Or more aggressive breed is really important.... I trained our rottweiler/mastiff from a little puppy... he was raised to respect our kids and family hes a really sweet dog but can have a temper that always needs to be kept in check because of the type of dog he is..... I pick working dog breeds that our larger because ive been around these type of dogs most all my life.. most of These dogs require control and must be trained ....
The kind of dogs ive found to be smart and everyones sweetie but can pick out a not so nice person are=

Rottweiler
English Mastiff
Doberman
german shepherd
Dalmatian

actually, many smaller breeds are i think just as protective....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_dog

another thing if your afraid of a these kind of dogs dont get one.... I'm afraid of pitbulls & bull mastiffs a pit attacked my black shepherd in the park when i was 14 and lived in cali this guy thought it would be funny to sick his dog on my dog,,, the pit grabbed my dogs neck and wouldnt let go i had my dog on a leash some guy came over and was hitting the pit with a little heavy bar until the pit finally let go..... so they scare me... my dog his name was bear wasnt hurt to bad... still though it caused me to fear pits... and a bull mastiff looks like a huge pitbull!

love angel

Last edited:
Sorry for not keeping up. The computer has issues and I think it is feeling better now. Anyway. We had a black lab until a few months ago. She ran away, never to be seen again. She had tags on, so the only thing I can think of is that someone found her and kept her. We really aren't home enough now, and I think crating a dog all day isn't a good situation either. Although I have always wanted to get another Rottweiler. The one I had a few years ago was awesome.

Umm. The reason no formal charges were brought against him with what he did to K, is that she wasn't able to give a taped interview. She talked openly until the topic of touching where a swimsuit covers. At that point she curled into the fetal position and yelled "I am not talking about it!!" So that was considered to not be enough evidence. They did say that she has until age 27 (?) to report it again.

Last night was her Winter concert, and low and behold who has to be there? I can't stop him from being there as he uses the fact that he baby sits for a student who attends the school. When I went to pick her up from her classroom she was visably upset. As I am getting her ready for bed she is crying. Telling me that while she was doing her part he was taking pictures, and that she tried to "dream" him away. One of my friends (who was sitting right behind him) called today and asked if I was aware that the only photos he took were of my daughter. I seriously don't know how much more I can take of this crap.

Thanks for listening...

Umm. The reason no formal charges were brought against him with what he did to K, is that she wasn't able to give a taped interview. She talked openly until the topic of touching where a swimsuit covers. At that point she curled into the fetal position and yelled "I am not talking about it!!" So that was considered to not be enough evidence. They did say that she has until age 27 (?) to report it again.

Last night was her Winter concert, and low and behold who has to be there? I can't stop him from being there as he uses the fact that he baby sits for a student who attends the school. When I went to pick her up from her classroom she was visably upset. As I am getting her ready for bed she is crying. Telling me that while she was doing her part he was taking pictures, and that she tried to "dream" him away. One of my friends (who was sitting right behind him) called today and asked if I was aware that the only photos he took were of my daughter. I seriously don't know how much more I can take of this crap.

Thanks for listening...

Sheeez PurpleAngel.....this is just so NOT right, and very frustrating. I soooo want to strap these weirdo's onto a rocket and blast 'em all off !! :mad:

Would your friend be prepared to go with you to a Police Station, and report what she saw...ie, the pics he was taking. Surely they can call around his place and take the camera and put pressure on him to just LEAVE YOUR DAUGHTER ALONE !!!!

I really hate these circumstances, as it's so much 'stale-mate' that what can you do ?

Please don't do this, but just a whisper in your ear <if I was in your position, and the law wouldn't (or can't) do a damn thing, I would soooo take the law into my own hands>......but that's just me ranting, okay ?

I wish there was something I could do to help, but apart from the 1st bit of advice I've put above, I just don't know what else to say. :(

K-9 Guard / Protection / Attack Dogs

Actually a lot of States in United States
requires Homeowners Insurance policies on
those owning PitBulls and Chow Chows and
in some Rental areas - they're banned. And
in some States, Timberwolves are prohibited,
and some States requires a permit, others are
lax.

Being a former K-9: I strongly recommend a
German Shepherd, Rotweiller, (or German &
Rotweiller mix - they are just as good), as
they don't turn against their owners as much.
Dobermans are prone to turn against their
owners and can be unstable when they get
older (I know some people who have been
attacked by their own Dobies just out of the
blue), because of their temperament unstable-
ness, and it doesn't matter what the AKC
Breeder discloses if the Sire and Bitch is on the
premises - they lie, they're out for the sale
and your $$$.

The bad side of AKC of German Shepherds
and Rotweillers are - they're prone to hip
problems, more so in German Shepherds than
all breeds - that's why I tell people to turn to
"Rotten-Shepherds" (the mix breed - for their
genetic disorder is greatly reduced).

While they are "family dogs" and yet are also
work dogs, you must work with them; cannot
be half and half or lax with it. You have to either
be in or out.

The next recommendation will surprise you, is
the Siberian Husky, they are good protective
dogs and because of their "wolf-ness" in them,
they protect their "pack". I've owned Siberians
and they can be trained for K-9 protection and
a lot of people are afraid of them because of
their markings (mean looking). But the flip side
of the coin is - they are also prone to hip and
cancer; but if you follow the proper care and
the Vet's advisories - you will have a dog for
life and a protector. Do not go with the Spritz,
they are too friendly and do not make good
watch dogs and they are difficult to control.
It's true that Siberian Huskies loves to run, but
they take orders and commands and take it
exceptionally well from the Head Pack Leader
(which would be YOU). They are very good at
verbal, leash, and hand commands. And will
protect your own home when no one else is
home. The Siberian Huskies are gentle with
children, and for some reason have a fondness
for them, and do not like strangers around them
so they're prone to protect them. They come
in various colors and it's not unusual to have
them come in multi-colored eyes (brown-blue,
green-blue, etc). And there's truth that multi-
colored eyes are smarter than those with pure
eyes. Ignore the Breeder's remarks of flaws, such
as tail too far curved, etc. Try to get discounts
if all possible.

And yes, there are Siberian & Shepherd mix out
there but they're hard to come by, and if you
ever DO come across one, snatch it - that's the
best guard and watch dog you can ever come
across!

One of the key signs you want to see is:

1) A puppy that tears everything in sight
2) A puppy that responds well to sound
3) A puppy that's alert to anything unusual
instantly and stops suddenly what they were
doing
4) A puppy that bullies other dogs around

That's the puppy you want - and often times
they look ugly, but when they grow up, they
change, and they become beautiful - almost
like the "Ugly Duckling Story".

These Puppies are very trainable and are very
eager to train, it will require just a little extra
effort of work, but the pay-off itself is worth it
in the long run.

Once they're in your hands, you must let them
know immediately you're the Master, and if you
must, set up an appointment with an Instructor
first before getting one so you can be the
Denominating Factor from the very beginning,
so you would have complete control from the
very beginning, and then the obedience school,
and the training - it's not as costly as one is led
to believe. For there are 2 ways to do it.

1) Where the instructor comes to your place
and works with you (cheapest way)

or

2) Where you send your dog off (more expensive
way)

Hope all this tips and tricks helps.

There's more to it - such as crates, choke
collars, training, commands, language, etc.
But that would be between you and the instructor
and the best way to obtain one and find one is
through the Vet. He/She would know of the good
one(s), for they don't like or deal with junky ones!

I have a mutt from the pound. She kind of looks like a border collie, but she probably has some spaniel somewhere in her genetic makeup. She has the most shrill bark toward any disliked adult, but she is great with kids. She is well trained, well fed and healthy. Sometimes mixed breeds have the best characteristics because they are not too in-bred. I agree that some dogs that have a tendency to be aggressive by nature can be dangerous. They have to constantly be told that they are not the boss. Alpha dogs are to be avoided. Do not let the dog in your bed. They think they are a person and at your own level. Do not feed them people food.
The other suggestion I would have unrelated to a dog is to get caller id. This records any phone calls, when they were made and who called you, unless the caller is slick enough to hide his/her name. You can filter out unwanted phone calls by blocking them or selectively answering your calls. Your phone company can set this feature up for you.

There is a place in Alberta, Canada where you can have a guard dog trained so that they're normally non-threatenning but if someone is in the house or comes into the house when the owner is gone they will let them in but not let him/her out. Someone once came home to find 2 burglars held in a corner by one dog, all he had to do was call the police. The training is expensive though, it was $2,000 a while ago.

Also in Canada there is an option of *57 which is for threatenning or harrassing calls. It doesn't tell you who the caller is but it is recorded at the phone company & is used for legal reasons even if the number is private or blocked. Ask your phone provider if they have a similar option. Just remember to record the time & date you used it.

I personally know somebody with a cell phone who was able to set up an online user id and password. All calls, text messages, etc. were listed on that cell phone provider's internet site. Information obtained was available for what they call a 'reverse search' to find out where the call(s) originated and who owned the phone.
There's nothing they can't find out on the web anymore!
Also, I am aware of software called Guardian which captures keystrokes, visited websites, messages, passwords, etc. which could be useful as your kid begins to do research for school projects. It can be traced to another computer (server) and retrieved for reference. If that dude is texting your kid's cell phone or your cell phone, or any online account, he can be found and information he sent can also be traced. If it is severe enough, it can be charged as harassment, being a bad influence on a minor, etc.

Back
Top Bottom