I am worn out

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
OKay. Kater is in 2nd grade (my baby girl will be 8 in two weeks :eek:) She had Neuro-psych testing done almost a year ago that said she was of "low average intelligence" And that the pattern of behavior is suggestive of a moody and difiant child. Great. You also need to consider that she had been in-patient the two days prior to this, and that the EEG tech had gotten the acetone into her eyes while removing the leads. So, she was peed at the world.

The first couple months of 2nd grade went well, as it was mostly review from 1st grade. She is in the top reading group in her class, although I wonder why cause she mixes of a lot of her words. I have noticed that when she spells she will mix the letters up. The first and last are correct 95% of the time with the middle being jumbled. She also will spell words wrong that are printed right next to where she is writing them. She had to copy down something about the colors blue and green, and she wrote bule and gerrn.

Then with math: If you ask her what 3 plus 2 is she will have to count it out, but the next day she can answer it just fine. Simple problems like 4 minus 3 she has to use counters for.

I have asked her teacher(s) who tell me to take it up with her Dr. maybe they know. Ask them and I get "She passed the neuro-psych tests just fine. And they don't need to be repeated for 2 more years." Well, there is something not right, and I have no clue what it is. I know I am her advocate in this, but Mom is getting irritated and annoyed.

Hi...

Hi Purple Angel! I'm a special ed. teacher in California. You can always ask the school to assess her for learning disabilities. You can ask that she be tested for visual processing problems. Problems in copying can be indicative of that. Don't be surprised if the school hesitates, if kids do get tested, it's usually not till they are in the 3rd grade, when they actually start to show signs of falling behind.

... I have noticed that when she spells she will mix the letters up. The first and last are correct 95% of the time with the middle being jumbled. She also will spell words wrong that are printed right next to where she is writing them...

Dyslexia? You might have her tested for it.

Back
Top Bottom