I need some advice from the ladies on the forum here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I temporarily can't drive for a couple of months due to my epilepsy. I am also trying to date. Is it better to tell my date about my driving situation on the first date or wait until after a couple of dates? I need a woman's point of view on this. Thanks.

I would want to know. I think honesty is the best policy always. If they can't handle it, they weren't worth spending the time with. Just let them know what to do, or not to do.
Send them flowers the next day though... oh I guess there are some here that would prefer chocolates.

I temporarily can't drive for a couple of months due to my epilepsy. I am also trying to date. Is it better to tell my date about my driving situation on the first date or wait until after a couple of dates? I need a woman's point of view on this. Thanks.

You can ONLY make the first impression!
Don't screw it! (I forgot who said that
quote - but I read that in a book)

1) Be yourself

2) Be honest

3a) There's nothing to be ashamed
to state that you have Epilepsy and
you're currently unable to drive at
the moment. If she can't accept it,
HER LOSS! However, there is a way
you can confront her and approach
to her about it - it's all how you do
it and present it to her. (It helps if
you brag about her first and get her
all puffed up and all, and then bring
it up slowly).
3b) If you've known each other for
awhile, then there shouldn't be an
issue. Then you shouldn't have any
problems confronting to her about
this.

4) If your relationship is still "new"
give it more time to know each other
than to rush everything. "Slow and
easy is the way to go" says the old
adage, still rings true today.

5) Women likes MEN to be MEN, they
want chocolates, flowers, surprises.
They want their man to open doors for
them, and treat them like a lady, even
pulling chairs out for them. Make her
feel special, and treat her like a Queen,
and she'll treat you like a King!

Hope this helps!

Brain hit the nail on the head. :) The big key is be honest. I was upfront and told my now hubby, the day we met that I had seizures. After he saw me have one in a coffee ship, I thought he would turn tail and run...but he didn't. :) Found out later, that he has an aunt with E. The thing is, your date should always know how to help you if you do have a seizure, and what your triggers are. It helps when making plans for dates. :)

Personally, I think it depends on how your date is going and where your conversation leads to. Of course it's not something you should lie about....but if I were in the dating scene, I probably wouldn't readily volunteer the fact that I have E on the first date, or any other type of illness or disorder I have. I'd let my date get to know me a little first. If I were specifically asked why I couldn't drive I would never lie about it though. Just follow your intuition, you'll know when the time is right to tell her. :)

I agree with Brain, etc. Be honest and tell them upfront. When I met my husband, I told him right then I had epilepsy and explained everything to him. He told me then and even years later how much he appreciated my honesty and we have been married now for 36 years so honesty does pay. At least this way you don't have to worry about having a seizure in front of him and scaring him or surprising him. He will be prepared for it if and when it happens. HTH

I agree about the honesty thing too. If he can't have you the way you are, then he can't have you. :)

help from greece with love...

ok im not a lady but sure i can help because i am 30 and not a few women have decided to have a relationship with me..

afterall, if it works in greece, im sure it will work in the us too..

so here is the tip:

there are 3 rules:
a)if u r afraid of not beeing liked, something magic always happens and u end up not beeing liked(i hope my english r understandble)
b)women can detect fear an back off immediatelly. Be sure this will happen with no exception..
c)(and most important of all!!!) u should always remember rules (a) and (b)

i wish u good luck with your new date!!!
:pop:

I would agree with the common thread of just being honest and be yourself. Don't try to hide anything and especially, as costis said, don't be fearful. If you show any lack of confidence, it will show up on a first date.
I'm no lady (I can't tell the joke here!), but if you are internally OK with yourself, epilepsy and all, and you express an interest in your date, you should be fine.
R97

Back
Top Bottom