Identical twins?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Khodges

New
Reaction score
I have identical boys- one has epilepsy. My other son hasn't had any seizures- neurologist and I have discussed a VEEG for other son to determine or rule out seizure activity. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to a fellow Washingtonian! Which part of the state do you live in? I'm on the east side, as you can see from my stats.
My educated layman's answer to your question would be that a video EEG, or any EEG for that matter, could confirm epilepsy IF he happened to have seizure activity while being monitored. If he had no seizures during the monitoring period it would only mean that he didn't have any seizures right then, but he still might have epilepsy. A normal EEG does not rule out epilepsy. Many of us here (myself included) have never had an abnormal EEG in spite of having had epilepsy for years or decades.
Also, as to the identical twin thing, I know that there can be a genetic component to epilepsy which might be shared with a twin, but (I believe) might not necessarily be expressed in both of them. There could also be a unique physical abnormality, a bit of scar tissue or something, somewhere in the brain of the one who has epilepsy, which of course would not be shared with the other one. Best of luck with all of this!

Last edited:
Thank you-I am on the east side too! Not sure if insurance would cover EEG for son...appreciate your input. If I may ask, do you have a local neurologist? We have to travel to Seattle for ped. Neuro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cousin who has epilepsy who's twin brother had one seizure we know of.
She also had a son who out grew his epilepsy.

i have fraternal 4 year old twins. One with E one without

A genetic mutation can occur shortly after the zygote (not sure I have the correct term here) splits into identical twins. In this case only one of the "identical" twins would have the mutation. Note that the twins aren't truly identical since only one has a genetic mutation that changes one spot of his DNA, but they're pretty darn close. :)

Back
Top Bottom