If this is how it starts I aint wantin to see no more!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crowind

New
Reaction score
Was having very bad dizzy spells some of them make you pass out for a few sec. and moments of spacin out, went to the Dr. after tons of test the nero says I had very unusual spikes ect.ect. this Dr tells me that I cannot work or drive for 6 months,I asked him about a work release, he told me to tell them 6 months. and to go on my short term dis. ins. and if anyone needed anything from him hed get it to them. he then puts me on depacote but I have a cronic liver problem so the pharmist stopped that, I told this Dr I had this liver cond. he stated (whats worse your liver or your seizers?) but he then put me on 2500mg of keppra. daily, went over a month with no check because this office would'nt send out the paperwork on time! now my employer calls and said they havent sent them anything either! over a month later! I called this office and asked them to fax this info to my employer as they did for my short term. she said ok. the next day I get a call and this lady said (ahh the docter did not say you could'nt work ahh, just not to drive!! I tried to explain that I was holding the paper sent to me by my short term stating that they have received the info stating that I could not work and I was approved!!and that this should be proof that you got me mixed up with someone else, well I guess they just got burned out on paperwork cause they gave my employer a note stating that I could of been working all this time! over a month! and this puts me in a bad place, my job will more than likely "turn me loose" by there policy they can do this, and I sit with no ins at all! and no job that ive had for over five years. I can proove that he said to not work by the fact that i was given short term and to get it they need the Dr to release info and then they go over it and make the call, Ive been on it since aug! Ive called this Dr and tried to fix this he said its not his problem! and tried to get me to sign a form that released him from all liability! when I said no. they told me if I didnt sign it I was not going to be given my new script for keppra!!!!!that she held up to the glass! I got real bent up. and told them Id call the board of medicine on them, in wich I did and they are lookin into this, anyone else had Drs like this?

Wow that was mean!!!!!!!! Wishing you the best of luck and hope everything straightens itself out!!!!!!!!!!!

Riva

Oh my!

I urge you to get in touch with the Epilepsy Legal Defense Fund and see if they can help straighten the mess out. Sounds like your doc is liable for any damages resulting from not following through on the 'no work' paperwork (but I'm not a lawyer).

Sounds like a mass confusion to me!

If you really have that paperwork where he
states that you couldn't work or drive, or
even a taped message, a witness that was
with you; then you might have a case.

But go to the website that Bernard posted.

It might be that the Doctor realized he did
err in what he said to you. But I am somewhat
confused.

If I were you, I'd phone your Primary Doctor
right away and let him/her know about what
all is going on with your current Neurologist
(which I assume this is what you are in reference
to?) and get a second opinion. And if your State
has a website, I'd check up on him (that Doctor)
and do a web research on that Doctor to see
where he stands and if he has a good rating or
not. In addition, if your County has a Public
Record Website - see if there is a complaint,
lawsuits, etc - against this such said Doctor
as well, and contacting your local BBB and/or
Customer Affairs Office and getting info from
them as well can help a lot.

In addition, contact the Hospital(s) that he/she
is affiliated with and see if there are any complaint
or complaints in regarding to that Doctor and do
not hesitate to file a complaint with them, they
need to know who's on their staff as well. And
in fact, they would most likely would probably
summon up an investigation and move you to
another Neurologist / Epileptologist themselves.

There's a lot that you can do.

Any doctor that would hold needed medication HOSTAGE unless the patient signs over liability needs to go to JAIL! This guy is a QUACK!

Get a lawyer.

If you are in need of meds and your pc can't help, go to the ER of your county hospital. They will give you medication for a day or two until you can get things sorted out.

The day this all happened I tried to talk with the hosp. staff and they said un fortunantly this is a private owned operated clinic. so there was nothing they could do. I did call the Iowa board of medicine and they claim they are going to look into it. I did get a appt. made by my primary Dr. to go to university of Iowa. so I called this Dr's office to tell them ill need my records she told me ill have to sign a release and then the Dr. will decied if he wants to release anything!! If I where to tell you all the problems ive had with this office you'd swear i was makin it up! its that rediculous! hope the next Dr is better. at least I can pronounce his last name! this Dr. Kapoor I would'nt take a stay dog to!!! thanks folks. make more words later.

she told me ill have to sign a release and then the Dr. will decied if he wants to release anything!!

This is illegal, they are your records and they are required by law to provide you with copies. Now they can charge you a "reasonable" rate to copy these, but I would ask for copies and keep them with you. If you want another office to see them take them too them and let them make their own copies.

How do I get access to my own medical records?

HIPAA requires health care providers, health plans, and health care clearinghouse to allow you access to your medical records. Notices you receive from providers and plans must include information about how you can obtain copies of your medical records.

In addition to HIPAA, about half the states have laws that allow patients or their designated representatives to access medical records. Laws usually allow health care facilities to charge a "reasonable" fee for copying records.

If you receive care in a federal medical facility, you have a right to obtain your records under the federal Privacy Act of 1974 (5 USC sec. 552a, www.usdoj.gov/foia/privstat.htm)

We advise that you make your request in writing. For a sample letter, see www.privacyrights.org/Letters/medical2.htm. If you are denied access, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service's Office of Civil Rights. (Contact information is provided at the end of this guide). Your state's medical privacy law might also enable you to file a complaint with state regulators.
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm#E

Back
Top Bottom