I'm a 19F- &I believe I just had my first seizure.. and completely aware..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For starters- I'm new to this site- I figured a forum/site, with actual people knowledgeable of most aspects, and variables amongst epilepsy.

My name is Cynthia; I'm nineteen, a female, and I believe that this morning I experienced my very first seizure..
Epilepsy runs through out my mother's side, and my mother her self has had quite a history with them. What bothers me, is that her episodes began right before she hit twenty; and I don't need this on top of *Lupus, and *MCTD.

:;This morning I had gotten out of bed to pee around 7/8am.. However- I hadn't been sleeping within the few hours before my fit.
:;When I was done, as I stood up, right then, I knew I needed to take it easy. It had almost felt as if I had gotten up too quick.. I've had moments before where upon standing up, quickly- or NOT, my vision blackens and fades in and out.

This time was no different for the first three seconds, but wasn't dissipating. It lingered, and it was so indescribable. The weirdest experience, the weirdest WHOLE BODY SENSATION that I've ever endured. My body felt like it was in a haze, like a warm something surging under my skin, as it continued, the feeling of tingling everywhere AND the feeling of weakness/fainting became almost gradually consuming, almost like a wave of knowing something was about to happen, and I just tried to concentrate and pull out of it. As my whole body, toes to hair follicles- felt like a tingling/warm/dark engulfing feeling, something that made me anticipate worse.. zoning almost out, but knowing that if I did, It wasn't going to be good. (I know this sounds crazy)

I kept telling myself that I needed to calm down, and brace myself not to loose consciousness. I took about four staggering steps into the living room where my walking landed me into a wall, which I clung to before my legs were hit with a weakness. I couldn't keep straight- and my legs started to buckle almost, and the more I tried to control my trembling, the more intense the jerking got.. when I lost control of my legs wobbling, it then hit my arms and the same thing happened. At that point- I was fighting to focus on ONLY not blacking out. I suddenly fell to the ground- and can vividly recall every single second of the attack. Once I was on the floor- my eyes were open, my hearing turned into dead/muffled silence- and nothing else, dipping in and out.

My body felt lifeless, except for feeling my whole body jerking with out being able to talk, move, or do ANYTHING BUT watch and fight the overwhelming "about to black-out feeling". Finally it stopped, and I just laid there. Shortly after getting up and just zoning out, going over every detail, recalling every movement, jerking, uncontrollable, and like I said, practically *Impossible for me to Describe*.

Even though I was totally mentally and visually aware- I couldn't control my body after I fell. Not a single muscle- I don't even think I blinked. It was like I was watching everything around me, and calmly- (I don't know why, I knew I had to hold on until whatever this was ended during the dreamlike-third party- physical state.)

It still has me somewhat distant.. almost 24 hours later. I can't shake this feeling that something bad is A. about to happen, or B. something isn't right.

I have an appoint. tomorrow.

I know my thoughts are scattered- or at least feel like they are- but PLEASE*

Has any one ever experienced -ANYTHING- even slightly resembling what I tried to describe?

I wish I could find the right term for all of the overwhelming sensations- and the feeling of mentally being there, but physically gone/non-existent.
The blackening sight and the deafening-like dead silence were some of the strongest sensations.

Please- anyone- this came out of no where.

This zoning out feeling sounds like it could be a complex partial seizure. There are many types of seizures that go along with epilepsy, not just the tonic-clonic (used to be called grand mal). With a complex partial, a person isn't aware of surroundings, but isn't totally passed out either. They don't understand when someone is speaking to them and may speak jibberish. Afterwards, the person is often confused for a bit. And sometimes this type of seizure can go into a generalized tonic-clonic seizure. I've experienced these many times.
Please check this website for more info on seizures:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/types_seizures

welcome cynthia,
and HUGS on your experience, very scary. i dis/agree with cint somewhat. yes certain parts of what happened are similar to a complex partial, but i would be skeptical that it was for one reason... you remember everything vividly.
though during a complex you stay somewhat conscious, you can't recall majority, or all, of what happened during it. because you were fully aware and can remember it all, and it was your muscles that went wonky my guess is that it was either a: simple partial seizure or atonic seizure (body slumps or falls to the ground).

A simple partial (always stay fully aware) consists of four main categories, and a person can experience one or a combination of any or all four:

•Motor – A simple partial seizure with motor symptoms will affect muscle activity, causing jerking movements of the foot, face, arm, or another part of the body. Physicians can diagnose which side of the brain is affected by observing which side of the body experiences symptoms (left brain controls right side, right brain controls left side).
•Sensory – A simple partial seizure with sensory symptoms affect the senses: hearing problems, possible hallucinations, and other distortions.
•Autonomic – A simple partial seizure with autonomic symptoms affects the part of the brain responsible for involuntary functions: it may cause changes in blood pressure, heart rhythm, bowel function, etc.
•Psychic – A simple partial seizure with psychic symptoms affects parts of the brain that trigger emotions or previous experiences: it may cause feelings of fear, anxiety, déjà vu (the feeling that something has been experienced before), etc.

what you went through sounds like a combination of motor and sensory (distortion). best of luck and if you have questions or need to talk pm me. i've had well over 1000 s.p.'s so can def lend an ear :)

With a complex partial, a person isn't aware of surroundings, but isn't totally passed out either. They don't understand when someone is speaking to them and may speak jibberish. Afterwards, the person is often confused for a bit.

This is what most of my seizures are like. I generally always black out during them.

Sometimes I'll have seizures that I don't black out during. The room won't look right or I don't know what I'm doing or understand what's going on.

My body felt lifeless, except for feeling my whole body jerking with out being able to talk, move, or do ANYTHING BUT watch and fight the overwhelming "about to black-out feeling". Finally it stopped, and I just laid there. Shortly after getting up and just zoning out, going over every detail, recalling every movement, jerking, uncontrollable, and like I said, practically *Impossible for me to Describe*.

Even though I was totally mentally and visually aware- I couldn't control my body after I fell. Not a single muscle- I don't even think I blinked. It was like I was watching everything around me, and calmly- (I don't know why, I knew I had to hold on until whatever this was ended during the dreamlike-third party- physical state.)

I rarely have TCs and when I have them I will black out and shake, but a few years ago I had a seizure that was very similar to the one you described.

I don't remember if I sat on the ground or fell (brain doesn't work too good any more) but I know I was face down laying in the grass. I couldn't move my entire body or say anything but I knew everything that was going on around me.

My family was talking to me asking me questions and I was trying to answer them but my lips wouldn't move.

Are you going to see a neuro or a regular dr? A lot of times the neuro will understand what you are telling them about things that happened, a regular dr may not.

Write down any questions or things that happened that you think are important that the dr/neuro would need to know. This helps out a lot.

Good luck and you will get lots of help here. There are a lot of people who deal with the same types of things that are happening with you so they understand what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom