I'm a newbie to the forum but old to siezures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks Robin and Bernard for the links. I am going to go check them out.

Bernard....I had no idea Trazadone could cause seizures. I don't think intially Trazadone was the cause of my seizures because I wasn't ever put on it until several years after I started having seizures but it could be contributing to them.

I'll tell you something...when I first started having these seizures I hated it...and still do, but I didn't want to take medications because of my mother. She was always in bed sleeping and took every pill out there...not just seizure medication. She really abuses prescription meds even to this day. I was so afraid I'd be just like her and fought not to be. She started having seizures in her mid thirties also and I always associated it with her being a premy at birth and never fearing I'd end up with it. Then my son started having them a couple of years ago when he was 29. There's gotta be some pattern here.

Small world! I know Wylie...I go to church in Rockwall.
I go to Texas Neulrology on Gaston, near Baylor. Dr Heitzman is my neuro, he is great!
Yup small world. That name Heitzman rings a bell for me from somewhere, but I can't remember where. What ever you do don't go to Dr. Taylor over there by Lakepoint. I don't think he has had much experience with seizures and I think I was the one he decided to test his knowledge on....lol. Bad experience!!! Needless to say I didn't stay with him long. I was seeing Dr. Jay Harvey in Dallas at the Neurological Clinic of Texas before we moved here. It was off Forest Lane in Methodist Medical Center. He's a great doctor and pretty much specializes in people with seizures.

Another consideration is that food sensitivities can also run in families.

Yup small world. That name Heitzman rings a bell for me from somewhere, but I can't remember where. What ever you do don't go to Dr. Taylor over there by Lakepoint. I don't think he has had much experience with seizures and I think I was the one he decided to test his knowledge on....lol. Bad experience!!! Needless to say I didn't stay with him long. I was seeing Dr. Jay Harvey in Dallas at the Neurological Clinic of Texas before we moved here. It was off Forest Lane in Methodist Medical Center. He's a great doctor and pretty much specializes in people with seizures.
I have other medical issues and all my docs are at Baylor....made it easier when I was spending a lot of time there. one of my docs recognized the seizures when I told him and he said he would highly recommend Dr Heitzman. The only doc I have in Rowlett is my general family doc.

Hi Donna - My daughters seizures began out of the blue also but at the age of 14.
We tried the drug path, Tegretol, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Trileptal, I finally said enough. There is a point where the % chance you will find a med that works drops dramatically.
Rebecca's life spiraled downward as well, and the quality of life as a teen was hard to watch.

I finally began to be proactive. I met some doctors online that believe that for many, changing nutritional choices can improve GI health. We have added supplements to support brain and body health, and kept a journal to find connections of life choices that affect seizure threshold.

Life has dramatically improved. It isn't a quick fix, but it is a lifelong fix.
I can't claim it works for everyone, but there are many who see results when they are disciplined to make the changes.

BTW - Welcome to CWE. We are glad that you decided to join us here.
Robin,
I have had siezures for over 40 years and just recently discovered that gluten is a trigger. if you are interested in my story drop me a note.
Gregf

Thanks Greg - we have been eliminating it (my husband has not bought on to the idea, and thinks that "all in moderation", though he does buy the products that I request). Also working with a teen has been touchy, but as she sees improvement she is climbing on board and respecting the idea.

We also have a blood sugar trigger, so she feels hit from all directions. My approach now is not only gluten, casein free, but eliminating the abundance of refined grains from our daily choices. At least monitoring it and aware of the % in each days choices.

We have a history book here, if you are so inclined to put your story there for others to read.

moderation

Robin,

I too tried moderation for a while. It does not work when you have a sensitivity like this. Everything, including Items like soy sauce, are no longer a part of my diet. In fact I believe that moderation can cause you more problems than it will help resolve. If you really do have a gluten issue your body will become more sensitised to gluten as you eliminate it from your diet. The more you have eliminated from your diet the smaller the amount of gluten you need to ingest to cause a reaction.
Well that is my :twocents:

Greg

Back
Top Bottom