I'm hard to handle during a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm hard to handle during a seizure. My mom doesn't try to move me but she has trouble sometimes trying to keep me from hurting myself.

I had a seizure yesterday when I fell off the couch in the space between it and the coffee table, which is padded. I shoved it at least a foot away from where it should be. I have pills that the neuro gave me to put in my mouth while I'm having a seizure to bring me out of one faster. She tried to give one to me a few times but I kept spitting it out. She got to the point that she was afraid I was going to bite her so she stopped. Sometimes I'm almost too much for her to handle.

I have seizures of all types but these are the worst for her.

I would think most people having a seizure could be difficult to handle in some way.

It can be hard to keep a person from hurting themselves....sometimes seizures don't have a whole lot of warning, but you know, we always do what we can.

Sometimes during a seizure, I will attempt to claw the living daylights out of my face. My husband told me he almost didn't win against me the last one I had months ago. He said I was definitely set on trying to claw up my face and he felt guilty I had gotten myself a good few scratches because he wasn't quick enough.

I remember being prescribed a benzodiazepine in my teen years so exactly, if one was happening, it could bring you out of it faster. I hate benzo's...so much. It makes it so I can barely walk to bathroom myself, have a hard time standing, can barely get out of bed. I avoid them at all costs. I will exhaust all other resources first.

One time my mom gave one to me at home as prescribed by my neurologist and I couldn't stomach it. I'd always throw it up so they'd have to put a bit of water to dissolve it under my tongue. I would resist if I could help it. I remember feeling out of it and hiding the entire bottle from them in a desk drawer. That stuff was nasty....

You and your mom are doing the best you can.

HI Val,
My seizures were so bad at one time when I was a kid that my neuro had me tied down while I was in the hospital, he had my
feet and arms tied down along with pads on both sides of the bed but when my parents walked in the room to visit me they blew
up and made the Dr. untie me. What has helped me is if my husband gets a cold washcloth and puts it on my face then the neurons
calm down and the seizure ends in many cases. You may want to give that a try and I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom