is it a seizure because of stress?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's nice to found this forum. I have read some of the postings & I get quite a lot new information about epilepsy, but I still need your opinion about my situation

my story begin in 9 may 2012. I have my first attack, I lost consciousness for 3 minutes , I just think I’m stress or too tired. The second attack happens in 23 may 2012. I went to a neuro, she tells me to have a blood test, EEG & EKG, those results came back normal.

in June, I have a few small attacks, which I just feel dizzy & I can not recognize letters/words that I saw.

and then I have another attack in July. I went to another neuro, he tells me to have MRI (with contrast), MRA & EEG. My MRI (with contrast) and MRA came back normal, but my EEG came back with “slowing in delta waves” My neuro still refer me to a cardiologist. I have EKG, Echocardiogram & 24 hour holter monitor, everything came back normal. So, my neuro said that I have epilepsy. Since than, I’m on Keppra 500 twice a day. In august and September I still have another small attack. In November, January 2013, march 2013, I still have big seizures.

in June and July 2013 I have a different kind of attack, suddenly I just feel dizzy, my body turns cold, I have rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath & tunnel vision, but I’m not lose my consciousness.

I went to a psychiatrist, she tells me that my seizure came because of psychogenic causes. She gave me antidepressant and told me to relax, meditation, sports etc.
the reason I went to psychiatrist is because my first seizure (in may 2012) happens when I wait for my girlfriend in a hospital, she’s attempting a suicide. My relationship with her is very difficult, at last when I’m trying to break up with her, she’s trying to kill herself. But, at last, my relationship with her is over

I have 3 kinds of attack
1. Suddenly I just feel dizzy & I can not recognize letters/words that I saw, I feel like I want to throw up and then I lose my consciousness, my body stiff, after I wake up, I have headache & feel sleepy, I call it big attack, lasts for 2-3 minutes
2. I just feel dizzy & I can not recognize letters/words that I saw, I’m not lose my consciousness, I call it small attack, lasts approx 10 sec
3. feel dizzy, can not recognize letters/words, my body turns cold, I have rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath & tunnel vision, but I’m not lose my consciousness, lasts for 1-2 minutes

Is there anyone have same problem with me. I’m just confused, my neuro said it’s epilepsy. my psychiatrist told me it some kind of panic attack, because I have a very difficult relationship which leads me to stress and my medicine is not helping me at all
Any opinion guys??

Last edited:
Gday , i would go to another neurologist and see what they say .

I agree with Marty that you should be reevaluated by a neurologist. But, it's common for someone with Epilepsy to also experience psychogenic episodes as well, especially when you are going through so much emotional turmoil in your life at the same time. If your EEG results were positive, then you need to see a neurologist.

I agrree with BrandiBrat. It is common for someone with epilepsy to experience psychogenic episodes. I would keep a diary of your events. Continue with the Keppra until advised otherwise. If necessary, if you feel stressed or depressed, ask for a therapeutic dose of anti anxiety and/or anti depressants. Sorry to hear about your relationship - I hope things are better with the break-up. Seizures take many, many forms. Keep going to your GP with your diary :)

Stress is a huge seizure trigger for me. If there's something that's stressful going on in my life my husband and I know that a seizure is going to be on its way soon. I try not to get stressed out over things but sometimes that's easier said than done.

Yes keep a diary of your seizures and what happened during them. I have a small calendar that I keep sort of a daily diary in, this way I can see if there may have been something going on that could have brought the seizure on.

You don't need to give all that info to the dr, just the seizures, but it's a good idea to take it along with you to the visits so you can see if there's anything that might have happened to bring the seizure on.

you might consider that the anti-deppresents can give you problems when taken with keppra. I had to stop taking all my anti-deppresents where as the keppra was even making me more unstable.

Hi nikolaus, welcome!

I have 3 kinds of attack
1. Suddenly I just feel dizzy & I can not recognize letters/words that I saw, I feel like I want to throw up and then I lose my consciousness, my body stiff, after I wake up, I have headache & feel sleepy, I call it big attack, lasts for 2-3 minutes
2. I just feel dizzy & I can not recognize letters/words that I saw, I’m not lose my consciousness, I call it small attack, lasts approx 10 sec
3. feel dizzy, can not recognize letters/words, my body turns cold, I have rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath & tunnel vision, but I’m not lose my consciousness, lasts for 1-2 minutes.
All three "attacks" can be kinds of seizures called Simple Partials. You will find a good list of the different kinds of simple partial symptoms here: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

I agree with the others, make sure you are evaluated by a neurologist. The psychoatrist you saw, may or may not have been familiar with Simple Partial seizures, and may have been too quick to diagnose you with psychogenic seizures. Either way, since the anti-depressant isn't helping -- and may be making things worse -- it's time to check in with the neuro.

Best,
Nakamova

don`t get stressed i have been there and done it too but it isn`t worth it , if you have a difficult relationship causing you too stress ( this may sound harsh ) make sure that the relationship is over !! why do like i did and try to keep it going and bugger yourself up , after all if it isn`t working why wast your life getting stressed , don`t get stressed about your health problem , stress = siezure = more stress = more siezures it ain`t worth stressing about , " if you yourself can`t fix it don`t stress about it " the stress will only make it worse !

Back
Top Bottom