Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum, I'm 17 and I have had many anxiety and panic attacks. But I don't think this was the same. On July fourth I was just sitting on my couch zoning out and my eyes started tearing I wouldn't call it crying but it would seem like it. My mom asked what was wrong and I had this weird feeling sorta like fear rush through my body, I have problems with my heart that cause me to black out but it wasn't really the same. I got up and started to walk down my hallway to my room and my mom was following me I turned and looked at her and I couldn't talk I don't remember alot after that but my mom said my eyes were just really focused and she had never seen them like that before. Right then I feel and my mom said I started kinda bending backward with my back and my neck. When I realized what was going on I just couldn't stop shaking and was holding my mom as best as I could we called 911 and I went to the hospital. The doctor said it was probably just a problem with my heart. The same thing happened again the next day. I had a heart monitor on for 24 hours and everything came back okay. I just had an EEG yesterday (I've had one before so I knew what to expect.) but this time it was different. When the doctor turned the strobe light on I got this growing tightness in the muscles in my arms and legs and I panicked.
Does anyone know what this could be? Or what could be causing this? I get the feeling of "the growing fear" in me alot so I would like to try to figure this out.

Hi 15sabrina.ann, welcome to CWE!

The "growing fear" sensation can be a kind of seizure called a Simple Partial. Simple Partials can take all sorts of forms, but one form can be the sudden onset of fear, depression, or happiness for no apparent reason. This can be accompanied by problems speaking or understanding. Another form of Simple Partial is "autonomic responses" -- changes in heart rate or breathing, sweating, goosebumps, and strange/unpleasant sensations in your stomach, chest, or head.

Will you be seeing a neuro to discuss the results of the EEG? I suggest you prepare for the appointment by writing down a history of any and all unusual sensations you have been experiencing. Go back as far as you remember having them. If you aren't currently keeping a "symptom diary", it's a good idea to start one now. The diary can help you look for patterns or triggers -- things like fatigue, or low blood sugar, or hormone fluctuations, or even flashing lights as with the EEG strobe test. There may or may not be a connection with your heart issues. It can be complicated since seizures can cause heart-related symptoms, and heart problems can cause neurological symptoms.

Are you on any medication for your anxiety/panic attacks? That may be playing a role as well. The neuro should be able to help you sort things out. I hope you feel free to check in here with any questions.

Best,
Nakamova

I had already had an appointment for a neurologist before this happened, I was originally seeing his for chronic headaches. But when I see him I will definitely tell him everything that has happened. I've been on many depression and anxiety medications without any help, I was recently put on Concerta for adhd and it has helped me so much I have been able to take just that alone. I've kept a diary for migraines so I guess I'll just add some of these other feelings in a different one. thank you!:)

Hi 15sabrina.ann, welcome to CWE!

The "growing fear" sensation can be a kind of seizure called a Simple Partial. Simple Partials can take all sorts of forms, but one form can be the sudden onset of fear, depression, or happiness for no apparent reason. This can be accompanied by problems speaking or understanding. Another form of Simple Partial is "autonomic responses" -- changes in heart rate or breathing, sweating, goosebumps, and strange/unpleasant sensations in your stomach, chest, or head.

I have this happen before my seizures sometimes and if I don't black out then I'll feel like this through the whole seizure. It may last for a few minutes or longer.

I'll walk around during and not know what I'm doing during some of my seizures. If someone tries to talk to me I don't hear them talking because I'm blacked out. If I do hear them talking I may try to answer back but what comes out of my mouth aren't words. I might know what I'm saying but it's usually slurred speech or things like baby talk.

After most of my seizures I'll have headaches. Depending on how bad the seizure was and how long it lasted the worse the headache, the may go on for hours sometimes.

If there is no one there to see me have the seizure I usually don't know that I've had one, especially the ones that I black out during. If I get a headache then I think that I've probably had a seizure.

that sounds very similar to what happens to me. I just never knew that could be considered a seizure. I will be in one of these "moods" where I feel like i'm in a daze and everything is being slowed down and I can't get words out but if I can get words out what i'm saying won't make any sense. How did you find out that you have seizures? Did you just randomly see a doctor about it one day? If you could tell me more that would be awesome

I found out that I had epilepsy because my very first seizure was a Tonic Clonic seizure, they type where you shake very bad. I don't think that I had any other types of seizures before that. They still don't know what brought on that first seizure.

Different people find out in different ways that they have epilepsy, I'm sure you'll get some answers from them about it.

My first seizure happened like this... I was in my office in my apartment talking on the phone with my father....then I remember I had some onset of confusion talking with him on the phone like his words sounded familiar but I couldn't make any sense of what he was saying.... next thing I remember I was reading a magazine at my kitchen table and had no idea where the last 10 -15 minutes of time went...and then the police knocked on my door and asked if everything was o.k.... I went back into my office to find the phone on the floor and my chair tipped over and blood on my face and pants.....

went to the DR. next day and he sent me to ER and they admitted me did all the tests and found nothing....3 month later came home one night... talking on the phone with my friend and had a tonic-clonic /grand-mal right in front of my girlfriend....She described what happened to paramedics and then Dr's at hospital diagnosed me with Epilepsy....

Back
Top Bottom