Is it indigestion?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello,

This is more a general question, but lately (and last night) immediately after a meal, I felt as though my stomach was over full, and I had pain about two inches below where my ribs stop on my far left side. I also felt bloated and though I could hear gas rumblings and I was burping alot. The pain below the left ribs eventually went away and left me with the overfull feeling and burping. No sensitivity when I press on the area of my abdomen either.

I probably ate a bit too much, but it wasnt a crazy amount of food, and some of it may have been a little spicy but again not crazy spicy. I've felt the feeling before in the same place in the recent past (this year), also accompanied with a bloated or over full feeling.

Of late, I have been trying to eat better and I haven't noticed this feeling, so it will apparently go away, but it came on right after this meal last night. This morning it is generally gone, but I still can tell is there a bit. I feel pretty certain t will be gone soon.

I dont want to make a big deal of it, and I know the location is my stomach area, but i dont feel anything in my upper chest (like heartburn) so I wondered if this just sounded like indigestion? I have a physical setup in a few weeks, so I will ask my doc then, but this is something somewhat new and I wonder if it is anything to be concerned about or maybe just getting older? This is really something that seems to come on more this year than before.

Thoughts?

I dont want to make a big deal of it, and I know the location is my stomach area, but i dont feel anything in my upper chest (like heartburn) so I wondered if this just sounded like indigestion? I have a physical setup in a few weeks, so I will ask my doc then, but this is something somewhat new and I wonder if it is anything to be concerned about or maybe just getting older? This is really something that seems to come on more this year than before.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you got an answer. Yes, age is a factor. You still should talk with your doctor.
https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/indigestion#1

As we all get older we can't maintain the same diet from our younger selves. Our bodies
can't process the foods as well. IE: too much salt, sugars, spices, etc.

Hopefully you can get a definitive answer from your doctor. :)

Sounds like you got an answer. Yes, age is a factor. You still should talk with your doctor.
https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/indigestion#1

As we all get older we can't maintain the same diet from our younger selves. Our bodies
can't process the foods as well. IE: too much salt, sugars, spices, etc.

Hopefully you can get a definitive answer from your doctor. :)

Aint that the truth AGE.My younger self liked cream cakes my older self do ASWELL but more of them.
My older self wishes her younger self been more carefull with food.
Lactolose is thick with suger and that gives you flatulence like crazy so could been all those things you ate is reasonable think it wind.IT on left side could be constipation. or hiatus hernia I have hiatus heria cause me heart burn.See doc put mind at rest

Hi Dignan,

A few yrs. ago my stomach felt nausea and no matter what I ate it bothered me. I went to see a gastro Dr. who did tests on me and found out that the seizure meds I have been taking for over 20 yrs. ate up the lining of my intestines. I'm still on the same med but I had to cut back on the junk food and foods high in carbs, The Dr. told me to eat Activa yogurt and low fat foods and this helped me a lot. Also don't drink any alcoholic beverages and stay away from the spices. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm sorry that happened to you. What drug was it that affected your intestines so terribly?

Hi Dignan,

The drug that effected me was mysoline (primidone) I have been taking it for at least 30 yrs. if not longer and even after it effected my stomach I still stayed on the drug and thank goodness I'm dong well today. Wishing you well and God Bless You!

Sue

You could be suffering from Gastritis, the symptoms sound very similar and it tends to be noticeable after eating. A one month course of Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole will clear the inflammation. I've had this a couple of times and it's not very pleasant is it?
Can you see a GP before your health check to get a diagnosis and medication?

Just a follow up for any interested. I saw my GP today and he said it sounded like simple indigestion to him and not to worry..

Back
Top Bottom