Is it Possible to Have Seizures in Side/Abdomen?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
Usually when I read about simple partial seizures, I read about them affecting the extremities (legs and arms). Is it possible for them to strike one's side/abdomen as well? There is a specific muscle in my upper right side that keeps jerking. The problem is becoming more frequent and bothersome. When it happens, it feels like I've been struck by a big jolt of electricity. I also have muscle spasms in other parts of my body. How can you tell the difference between seizure activity and your everyday muscle spasm that anyone might have?

I'm not sure how to tell the difference, but I know it happens. Probably anything your brain controls can be affected - and effected - by seizure activity.

Thank you for your response, no.guru. Does anyone think it is possible to have seizures affect the muscles that govern your intestines?

I went to a GP who thought I have a "spastic colon." When I got home, I read this is the same as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I do not have any of the other symptoms associated with IBS. All I have is a jerking sensation in my upper right abdomen under the ribs that is driving me crazy. The GP said that there is no muscle in that area and that the only thing there is the large intestine.

on rare occasion my chest shuts down or i stop breathing. not pleasant at all as far as seizures go.

Muscle Jerks/Twitches - Epilepsy?

Usually when I read about simple partial seizures, I read about them affecting the extremities (legs and arms). Is it possible for them to strike one's side/abdomen as well? There is a specific muscle in my upper right side that keeps jerking. The problem is becoming more frequent and bothersome. When it happens, it feels like I've been struck by a big jolt of electricity. I also have muscle spasms in other parts of my body. How can you tell the difference between seizure activity and your everyday muscle spasm that anyone might have?

Hi Starburst,
I know this is rather late but I have just read your post. I was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic and I think I have Tonic Clonic as well. I have weird sensation either in my stomach or buzzing in the head then jerking for 3 minutes and the I become unconscious. At the moment I am talking 125mg lamotrigine but when get into bed and way before I get to sleep my muscles all over my body twitch. But only my muscle twitches a lot on/n my body not jerks. I think the side that you complain about my muscle spasms too. I am sure it is Epilepsy but your GP will know or was it your neurologist?

Thank you for saying that your whole body twitches and you feel like you have been struck by a big bolt of lightening. A lot of my muscles twitch in my torso I think that it what you call it and so I feel like my whole body is shaking. Your description is better than mine so I can explain it to my GP. Thanks.

Debbie

Back
Top Bottom