Is there a stigma with alternative therapies?

Is there a stigma associated with alternative therapies?

• Yes

Votes: 39 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yet I wonder if many are willing to "try" that cure if it involves hard work. Or are they just suckered into the belief that meds are the only way to put one foot in front of the other?

I honestly believe that people are conditioned to be scared to go against the authority of a neurologist/doctor. Especially if you are the one that would suffer the possible consequences (if any).

Ironically, what initially made me want to research new stuff was the fact that my neurologists a while back all reacted defensively or angrily to being questioned. I lucked out now that I have a neuro that seems to be more concerned with controlling my seizures than worrying about how we do it.

Let's face it, people will take the course of least resistance, and we'd all love to have a magic bullet that took our seizures away forever. So for many people, it's just easier to treat the symptom then it is to find the cause. It's a human flaw. Sad, but understandable. And heck, I admit to having it.....I'd love to go med free, but I'm not willing to do the work to track down what the cause might be....for me, it's more expedient time wise, and more convenient to take the med presecribed, and then add on vitamins and dietary changes as complimentary therapies.

personally i have always belived that combnation therpy is best when posible i know its not sometimes and dont work for every one combnation therpy is that wich uses both traditional and alternative therpys. mean while while i'm cuaght in system with out health care i use self as gunia pig just like see if certian foods and drinks and such mae diffrence i aint found nottin to work for sz aspect yet but know with another issue cherrys fresh ones help but they our hard to find and exepensivte and no few foods to limit and avoid. i'm not looking around to see what next person is doing so have no clue if there's stigma with alternative therpys i know combnation thepy i have always been advocate of becuase it seems to work for me in certian aspects

I know for me without meds I would die. But I want them changed. Now. I have an appointment Tuesday. I need to lose some weight around my tummy. I had gestational diabetes. My Dad died from diabetes, and if they wont help me . I will just help myself. Im sorry my stomach just hurts. Meds makes me mad. At least my son is doing well. Sorry for blurting out so much. Teresa

I do think there is a stigma both in the medical community and even among some epilepsy patients. The bottom line is that we are all responsible for our own health. Some people prefer to take a passive approach and others more of an assertive approach. I know for me, I am always looking for an answer that might be the one key I'm looking for. My complex partial seizures are so infrequent (sometimes as much as 4 years apart before I was on medication) that I can't help but wonder if the things I am doing such as meditation, eating more frequent smaller healthy meals, walking daily, etc. might not eventually give me enough control. Having said that, I have a little less than 4 years until I can retire and I need to drive for my job so I continue to take the medication as extra insurance even though I've driven all my life and never had anything happen.

Back
Top Bottom