Is there any difference between Keppra & Levetiracetam

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nubbsy

New
Reaction score
other than Levetiracetam being the generic form of Keppra?? Reason being is we had to switch pharmacies and the pills we used to take were white and these are now blue and indicate on the bottle Keppra?? My ds has been on L so I do not want to change it if he is going to experience any side effects from the change. TIA

This is generic drug. There are some links on here about problems that people on here encountered on the generic. I know I had severe migraine when I tried the generic...I no longer take the generics because of this[HULU][/HULU]

Wellllll

generics of brand name drugs have a potency of 80 to 120% of the brand name. The other problem that exists is that they do not have the same binders that the brand name does, and for some people (me, for example) this can cause problems. I am a celiac patient, and so part of my problems with my meds is whether or not they have any gluten in the binders. Lots of the generics do, and the pharmacies have no control over whether or not the generics do or not.

Because of the variation in potency, you may or may not achieve control. Or, you may go toxic, too. It just depends. I HAVE to take the brand names. My case is such a balancing act these days, I don't really have a choice. Wish I did, budget wise....

Hope that helps you some....

Welcome to CWE by the way. Have fun exploring all the nooks and crannies. Mr B has built us an AWESOME home here.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Not for me

I was taking the Brand name Keppra for over a year, then suddenly the pharmacy started giving me Levetiracetam. I didn't think twice about it. So far it has been about 6 months and I have not experienced any changes. Hope it stays the same in your case as well.

Good luck

After a week of having the migraines on the generic, my neuro called my insurance company and informed them of the adverse reaction. He nows notes BRAND NAME ONLY on my Keppra prescriptions so I do not get the generics.
The Today show recently did a segment about the generic seizure meds and adverse reactions.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/30940055#30940055

Back
Top Bottom