Is there something I can purchase for ankle protection?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have complex partial seizures that makes me fall sometimes when I first get up in the morning. Several years ago, I had one and hurt my ankle. It was so bad I couldn't walk on it but it finally healed by itself. Since then, I haven't had any problems with it until this morning. I had another seizure by the time I reached my kitchen right after I got up. I hurt my ankle again and it is so hard to walk on it now but when you live alone, you have to walk on it some. I was wondering, do you know of anything out there that I could put on my ankle for protection before I get up each morning to keep this from happening again? I would be willing to purchase it if it would help. There is just a period of time that this type of seizures happen. Once that time passes, I could remove the protection. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time!

Hi KathyJJ,

I know how you feel a few yrs. ago I fractured my ankle and it took a long time to heal.
As Nakamova mentioned see if you can get a brace to wear and stay off your feet as much as you can. I also went to physical therapy for a short time and if continues to bother you check into therapy.
I find it interesting how you have you seizures in the morning when you first get up. I was having this problem for awhile until my Epileptologist did a sleep study on me and found I was having seizures in my sleep. I was then put on vimpat and those seizures stopped. You may want to look into a sleep study to help stop these seizures. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi KathyJJ,

I know how you feel a few yrs. ago I fractured my ankle and it took a long time to heal.
As Nakamova mentioned see if you can get a brace to wear and stay off your feet as much as you can. I also went to physical therapy for a short time and if continues to bother you check into therapy.
I find it interesting how you have you seizures in the morning when you first get up. I was having this problem for awhile until my Epileptologist did a sleep study on me and found I was having seizures in my sleep. I was then put on vimpat and those seizures stopped. You may want to look into a sleep study to help stop these seizures. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thank you for your post! I thought it was strange that they only happened at that time of the day. I have tried increasing my sugar level before I get up, just laying in bed and waiting for the time to pass before I get up and so many more methods that I can't remember them all but none of them made a difference. I had read how some people just have their seizures at a certain time of the day and I decided I must be one of them because everything I tried made no difference. I hardly ever have that type of seizure and when I do, I look back to see what is different but I find none. Thanks again!

Walking Boot

KathJJ,
If your ankle is hurting that bad, you should see a doctor and see if you couldn't get a 'walking boot' that you could wear while your ankle heals! I just looked on Amazon and there are dozens of walking boots sold there! Many of them say they are for helping with fractures, but they are also used for bad injuries to the muscles of the ankle and foot. My cousin wore one this summer when she fell and hurt her foot, She couldn't walk without it! The boots on Amazon all have different prices! If you wanted to take the time, you could place an add in your local newspaper asking if someone had a boot that you could buy or someone may actually give one to you! This would give you several choices, Amazon, buy local or somebody helps you out with gift!:e:

It isn't hurting that bad. I'm back to walking normally now but I still keep it wrapped because without it, it swells a lot. I'm just thinking of prevention if it happens again because the next time could be worse. Thank you for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom