Just Had Grand Mal First Seizure Ever

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thank you guys for the feedback! I am also curious about my eeg results to because they came back normal. Has that happened with you guys as well to?
agober, I was in the same boat. I randomly had my first seizure in 2011 for no reason whatsoever. I've done 3 EEGs, 3 MRIs, an ambulatory EEG, and a week in the hospital connected to EEG wires 24-7 for monitoring, and everything has always come back normal.

I was on Keppra for a year and a half. I didn't get the metallic taste, but got a bunch of other side effects (gained weight, irritable), and it didn't stop any of the simple partial seizures (which I thought were side effects of the medication). One second I'd be talking, and another second I'd be struggling to finish my own sentences.

Hang in there...I'm in CA, and they took my license away for 4 months. I eventually got it back, but it's still kinda worrisome that it could happen again...

Being put on them after the first and only seizure is not recommended by most medical information I have read. In fact UCLA says they give everyone two off hand seizures before they discuss medication.

robin, jane and cardones i couldn't agree with you more. this is very odd. agobar so far this is a one-off seizure, not epilepsy. it is unecessary for you to be on epilepsy medication, one time seizures happen to many people, and E is not traditionally diagnosed until a second grand mal seizure.
keep in mind that tho it's good you seen a neurologist, they aren't always competent. many are in it just for money from the drug companies, ask around alot of us know, and imo a competent neuro is not one who hands out E meds after one seizure.
we all have a seizure threshold, and certain things will break it. were you under an abnormal amount of stress at the time? drinking or doing drugs prior (even as much as a week before)? not sleeping much? lack of sleep, stress, and alcohol are the top things that will provoke a seizure, and they're not the only things. give it alot of thought before you are sure you want to stick with the meds, as others have said they can do more harm than help if they're not needed.

no everything was normal it just happened in the car on the way to my grandparents house out of no where really

well that's good, but like i said you'll really want to do your homework before doing just 'anything they say.' seizure meds are very powerful, have the potential to be harmful, and can be hard to get off of (you don't just stop taking them), so imo do your research on keppra before jumping in.

So sorry you had a seizure. I had my first Grand Mal seizure when I was 18, I am now 32. I had one in my sleep back then, Dr put me on Dilantin for at least a year. He did eeg, mri, ctscan, all of it, they all came back clear. I couldn't drive for 6 months, and was taking the medicine. Everything was fine. I saw him for a couple years, he took me off the medicine, I never had one again... Until this past September.... I had another Grand mal in my sleep. 14 years later... I have been told stress can cause it, just try to stay relaxed, eat well and hopefully everything should be just fine. He really doesn't know what caused it, but said, once you have one, those nerves are now awakened, some people will never have one again in their life. Some do... Best of luck :) Just know that you're not alone. There are so many people who have seizures. Take care!!!!

Oh and yes like other people have said, do a little research about the medicine. My Dr swore by Keppra, said it is a great drug and I honestly think I have had a horrible reaction to it. I went in today, finally after being on it since like late November, I got off of it. I have had real mood swings, my emotions have been way out of wack and I seriously have fallen into this horrible depression. By the way, I am not a depressed person, I usually see the glass half full, can find the positive in anything, but I have really been feeling so down that I wish I wouldn't wake up. I am finally off, and am hoping that this feeling goes away. I heard that Keppra does wonders for some people, but be careful, if you start in any way feeling down, depressed, unhappy, any way shape or form get off! I tried for 5 months, and kept telling myself that I'd get used to this, but I have gotten worse. I hope this works well for you, but be cautious please. Best of luck to you!!!

Back
Top Bottom