Kater scared me last night

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
She was telling me that she was tired as I was making supper for the kids. So I made her a sandwich, and got her meds ready. She came in the kitchen complaining that her stomach hurt. Told her to take her meds, eat her sandwich if she could and then lay down. She no more that got her pudding (with the Depakote) in her nouth and she threw up. She didn't get her Zarontin down, nor did I do the Depakote again since I was almost certain it would end up on the floor again.

She went in the living room and was sound asleep within minutes. About an hour later she was laying on her left side covered with a blanket in an almost fetal position. I glanced up from my book to see her entire body like tense up. It was about 5 maybe 7 seconds and she relaxed for maybe 30 seconds and then she did it again. This went on for about 5 minutes. I went over by her and asked her if she was okay. She kinda nodded and smiled. I am not sure if she was fully awake or not. Then she rolled over and was fine, I am assuming for the rest of the night since I went to bed shortly after.

Was she running a fever? Is there a stomach virus going around in your area?

I hope Kater is feeling better today!

Keep us posted how she's feeling!

((((((( hugs ))))))))))

Rebecca would often tell me her stomach hurt before a seizure.

I have read that there also can be seizures in the stomach

She wasn't running a fever then, nor did she after (yesterday). She is always tired so that really isn't anything new to me. She ate fine all day yesterday, but threw up her meds everytime they were given to her. (mind or matter??)

I gave them to her again this morning and they stayed down, and then she left with her father. I worry about her while she is gone, because there is a bit of denial as far as he goes, but I can only do so much. I told her to rest all the way on their trip, and to make sure and tell him if she doesn't feel well.

I'm sure Kater just probably had "one of those days"
and she's fine now!

:)

(((((((( hugs )))))))))))))

Rebecca would often tell me her stomach hurt before a seizure.

I have read that there also can be seizures in the stomach

Robin:

You are correct. It's called Gut Epilepsy.
Kind of sound gross doesn't it?

Side effects?

My ds tried both the depakote and the zarontin. He got whole body stiffness, even the head and neck, from depakote and was taken off for multiple neurological changes from the med in 3 days. He was on zarontin the longest and we had a lot of digestive issues, but they were not on a daily basis. He would look (especially the eyes glassy and glazed and like he was holding it in till he would pop, also curled up often) like a pepto bismal commercial before getting relief. It also affected his sleep the most because his stomach would be churning and painful even when he was asleep. He would also be relatively nonverbal exactly as you described your dd's response when you asked her if she was alright. This was on and off over almost a year before we found out that he was allergic to dyes (also additives and aspartame, etc), which are in the syrup form of zarontin. The clacium channel effect also caused him episodic hypotension a times. Sometimes it was so bad, they would just turn off his alarm system at the hospital during his overnight stays. He hasn't had these occurrences since stopping the med. We also thought it must be viral at first, but we started noticing that his twin was not coming down with the same symptoms every time.

I'm sorry to hear that Kater isn't feeling well. I'd suggest calling her doctor. It could be flu, gut epilepsy, meds, who knows.....Hope she feels better soon.

How is she feeling now? Any better, I hope? It's hard being the parent, isn't it? I feel like sometimes I live in the Land of Second Guessing Myself. I spend a large amount of time each day hearing, "Is it a side effect or a seizure? Was her meds too late? Why didn't I know the signs?" in my head. Stay calm, Stay on the Phone with her Doc, Stay Strong! Good luck.

She is better for now. The headaches and stomaches come and go. She will go 2 weeks without having a headache and then they come back for 4-5 days. She is always telling me that her "tummy" hurts all over. It's not just one spot, and if I push lightly on it she yells. (she is a bit of a drama queen in terms of pain though. She can play out a paper cut for days ) She also sleeps ALOT!! In February she slept through Arthur LIVE! sitting in the 4th row. Friday she slept through the dance theatre production of Alice in Wonderland sitting 5 rows from stage. After school she comes home, sleeps for an hour and then does homework and plays outside. :ponder: Sometimes I wish I could sleep like that.

The Dr. said to just kept track of what is going on and she will go over it at her next appointment.

She also sleeps ALOT!! In February she slept through Arthur LIVE! sitting in the 4th row. Friday she slept through the dance theatre production of Alice in Wonderland sitting 5 rows from stage. After school she comes home, sleeps for an hour and then does homework and plays outside. :ponder: Sometimes I wish I could sleep like that.

The Dr. said to just kept track of what is going on and she will go over it at her next appointment.

That's got to be difficult for you. I notice that my daughter has begun sleeping whenever/where ever possible. I've gotten a couple of notes about sleeping in class since she's started the Phenobarbital. Is your gut telling you it's a side effect of the meds? When is her next appointment? I don't know about you but it worries me to let things like oversleeping go too long. 'Course I'm a bit of a worrier anyway.

I think that the sleepiness is a side effect of the meds. From what other people have said that have kids that take Depakote, it makes the kids tired more easily. I know that about once a week Kater goes down to the nurses room to rest and she 99 % of the time ends up sleeping for 60-90 minutes. And I wqonder why she isn't keeping up with her work and skills?? I have told her Dr. that she sleeps often and at the weirdest times. Even on the 10 minute drive to the store she naps. We went to an auction a couple weeks ago. I thought she was just sitting/leaning on the chair. Stood up to find that she was sound asleep.

Her next appt. is supposed to be in June, but I don't know what day yet. I won't know until I get a reminder letter 10 days before. Was told in the middle of Feb. that she would see us in 3-4 months.

You would think that if the sleepiness interferes with that much of her life that they would at least want to take another look at her meds. But docs have their own way of doing things, don't they?

Yes, they do. I sometimes wonder whose interest they have in mind. Sad part is, is that we really don't have much choice in Drs. The one she sees right now has one partner who isn't accepting new patients (hasn't been since 2005) The next closest is 150 miles away, and since I can't drive that isn't even a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom