Keppra is ruining my marriage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Praying for you Cheski. I know it must be awful to be discharged from the Air Force and your job. I also can completely relate to the lack of health insurance. Hang in there!

EpilepticWife,

Hang in there. If its the Keppra then your husband can find something else that works. I just started taking Keppra myself and so far so good, I will know soon in about seven week when I am fully weened off Zonisamide. I hope that you are OK and are able to find some peace with all this. I know it must be hard for my husband too, he says Im a pretty moody person already so there should be no difference! Then I yelled at him and called him a jerk(just kidding) ;) . Try to stay positive and remember this is always a good place to vent! -- :)

Epilepticwife I turned into a complete cow on keppra.the worst thing was that I knew I was being horrible to my husband but I really couldn't help it and sadly most of the time I really didn't care :( It was once a friend took me aside and had a talk to me about what a changed person I was (I knew this,just didn't realise people outside my house did too) I went to my neuro and told him what had been going on and he changed my meds straight away.It's hard enough living with epilepsy without all this bs aswell.goodluck

Epileptic wife ! I also am currently on keppra I have had to change medications due to a number of reasons. I can be very aggressive and my partner knows exactly what to do to with me comfort and knowing that someone very close to you has your back is the best thing in the world! Stick it out he will thank you for it :)

My husband was diagnosed with epilepsy about 1 year after we were married due to a traumatic head injury that happened 9 years ago. The doctor put him on Keppra. Since then, my husband has turned into a monster. ... I'm literally scared of his mood swings and rage. Is there hope?

"Kepprage" is a known potential side effect. Vitamin B6 supplementation can potentially curb that problem:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/kepprage-how-do-you-de-stress-5169/#post48452

hello

HI ,
I am on keppra . I take1250 mg. am , 1000 at night . At 1st I took 1250mg. at night . At that point I was mean , nasty , didn't want to be near anybody and depressed . went down and it did wonders for me . I do know another person who went on it and was out of control . There are many other meds on the market . I take 5 meds and still have seizures . Good Luck jenn

Hi everyone, sorry I've been ghost on the board, but I found out I was expecting again! Very exciting. Things between me and my husband got VERY bad, and I was seriously considering a divorce. However, he agreed to switch medications. He's now on Trileptal and he is back to his normal self. It's almost scary how much he's changed since coming off the Keppra. I had no idea medication could cause such drastic mood alterations. Of course, he doesn't agree that it was the Keppra and his family think I'm just crazy. But, I know the truth. He hasn't had a seizure since switching and I'm very hopeful again. Thank God!

Thanks for the update EW. It's wonderful to hear both pieces of news -- you're having a baby and you've got your "real" husband back. Congrats!

WOW that is the best news! you got him off the keppra!!
congrats on the baby and all the best to you guys in your 'new' life :)

Hi. I've been on Keppra since my seizures reappeared 15 months ago. 500mg then 250mg then up to as much as 1000mg (500mg x2 a day) following a recent bad run and hospital stay.
Despite this, I've felt fine on Keppra and not experienced any of this 'rage'. My moods are the same as they always have been since a young child/teenager/young woman!

Just goes to show that each drug affects everyone differently and that it really must be a case of trial and error (unfortunately for us - and our loved ones!) Not even the best neurologist can be 100% sure.

Congrats to you and your hubby!!! And I'm so glad to you hear you and your husband stuck it out and switched meds to see what else worked for his seizures. It goes to show Keppra works differently for different folks. It didn't work for me but it does work for other people. Congratulations on the new baby!! How wonderful!! :)

I suffered from the same, and simply had to tell my neurologist quite honestly that the cure was becoming worse than the sickness, and i had none of the complexity of marriage or children to add to the mix. Keppra has definitely ranked highly on my list of scary chapters in this epic adventure called epilepsy. The only way i could deal with the side effects from *it* was with marijuana. I don't know if that's an option where you live, or if it's something that you wouldn't consider for other reasons.....i won't turn this into me championing a cause that's dear to me, that's not what this is about, but it DID help me a great deal. Whatever the case, get off the keppra as quickly as possible, there are so many other options out there. The 2 drugs that made my life hellish and actually didn't help in controlling my seizures much at all were keppra and dilantin....but didn't like epival much either....

Hi. I am on the same dosage of Keppra and have never had that problem. He should switch meds if it is affecting his moods. My neuro told me that 5% of people suffer with 'kepprage'.

My neurologist told me it affected 50% of people on Keppra.

Most neurologists don't even know what they don't know... which is usually as great as the whole outdoors.

I have been on Keppra since like November, I had a seizure about a week before my wedding in September, I was put on Dilantin. I was lil loopy, but ok for the most part. He switched me to Keppra, generic brand, I couldn't afford the name brand, but he switched me and I started feeling way down about life. That Newton Elementary School shooting happened and that really made me depressed. I haven't been better since. Some days are ok, but I am not my happy go lucky girl I used to be. I went to see him about a month after I started the meds, about a week after the shooting, I am in California, so it was all over the news. :( I told him that I had been feeling a little down, but also that had happened,he said, so the whole country would be sad and down, right? I brushed it off, and decided to stick with it. Now it is April, I have been in a downward spiral. I am now in this deep dark hole and cannot get out I take what people say so extremely personal I flip out. I have no patience, I am angry upset down I have no sense of humor.
I have been married 7 months now and feel like I have been the worst wife ever, I get upset with everything he does, and he is an amazing man. I am so lucky to have him. I have an amazing family, no kids yet for us, but my Mom and Dad, bros and sisters, are the best, I love my inlaws.... But I seem to not get that. I cry all the time, and when I try to tell myself how great of a life I have, all I can think about are negative bad things...
Yesterday I didn't go to work, I was so upset, just talking with my husband, he said he had to go, and I got upset and blew up because he didn't have enough time for me. What am I talking about, he always makes time for me. But I flipped out and I don't know, just ended up driving around upset, I ended up writing down how I was feeling, and last night my husband read it. He never drives my car, but he did last night for some reason and he read it... He walked in with tear in his eyes and asked me if I was really feeling like that. I wrote that I felt that I didn't want to be here anymore. I wish I would just go to sleep and never wake up, and that would make everybody's lives so much better, I would no longer be anybody's burden. I have never ever in my entire life ever felt any feelings even close to these. I don't know who I am anymore. My husband finally saw what was going on and today, again, having a pathetic sad day, crying, I left work early... My husband made me go to my doctor and tell him. I finally went, I was crying uncontrollably and talked with him. He is a huge Keppra fan, bigtime, but after I talked with him just a little finally he told me to get off.

I went and saw him about a month ago, I had already told him I wanted off of Keppra, but he said I needed to get on something else before I could, so I am now on Dilantin and he told me today I could quit Keppra cold turkey. He said I should start feeling better in a few days. I am praying so deeply praying that it is the medicine and not me. I hope I can be me again. I hope these seizures haven't made me this way...

Keppra almost destroyed my world.

For 30 years, following a traumatic brain injury and coma, I have been battling crippling headaches, seizures, and blackouts. Still, with great help from others and incorporating lifestyle changes, I have been able to have a large family and a successful career--even reaching high positions in public service.

My neurologist switched me to Keppra a few years ago. Gradually, but steadily, I became a different person. Among other things, I had outbursts of pure rage and verbal abuse--typically targeted at my extraordinary wife. I became self destructive and was committed to the psychiatric ward 3 times (once after a near successful suicide attempt). I hallucinated for the first time in my life. I even wandered off into oncoming traffic on a busy street, not knowing the reality of the situation. My children cowered and hid while I wrestled with this outbursts.

A new neurologist recognized my dramatic change as a direct result of the Keppra. After just several weeks of stopping its use, I returned to the man I was before that insidious drug. Although I still fight very difficult and now disabling neurological symptoms; the rage, the verbal abuse, and the suicidal ideation have all stopped. I returned to my normal self. The only difference being cessation of Keppra.

There is no question in our minds that Keppra caused these horrible side effects. I am considering litigation, perhaps joining one of several class actions against the makers of Keppra. No mind-altering anti-convulsives are without significant side effects, but Keppra is toxic and if it is not recalled, at least it should be closely monitored. My heart breaks for those presently going through this and not knowing why and how they can receive quick relief.

I started taking the Keppra generic Levetiracetm back in February of this year. I don't know if its because its the generic version, but it has worked fine for me so far. I get edgy but I don't know if its because of the medicine or just because i get edgy when I eat wrong (I have lots of food intolerances). My last script was awful. Zonagram. I guess thats why there are so many different meds out there. Different ones for different people. Anywho- hope all is going better for you and your husband. :)

☆Elena☆

My neurologist switched me to Keppra a few years ago. Gradually, but steadily, I became a different person. Among other things, I had outbursts of pure rage and verbal abuse--typically targeted at my extraordinary wife. I became self destructive and was committed to the psychiatric ward 3 times (once after a near successful suicide attempt). I hallucinated for the first time in my life. I even wandered off into oncoming traffic on a busy street, not knowing the reality of the situation. My children cowered and hid while I wrestled with this outbursts.

A new neurologist recognized my dramatic change as a direct result of the Keppra. After just several weeks of stopping its use, I returned to the man I was before that insidious drug. Although I still fight very difficult and now disabling neurological symptoms; the rage, the verbal abuse, and the suicidal ideation have all stopped. I returned to my normal self. The only difference being cessation of Keppra.

There is no question in our minds that Keppra caused these horrible side effects. I am considering litigation, perhaps joining one of several class actions against the makers of Keppra. No mind-altering anti-convulsives are without significant side effects, but Keppra is toxic and if it is not recalled, at least it should be closely monitored. My heart breaks for those presently going through this and not knowing why and how they can receive quick relief.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra and have taken it for 10 years + an anti-depressant. I've suffered from depression and suicidal ideation even before starting Keppra. It was after my TBI, (unsuccessful brain surgery for seizures) that the deep, deep depression started and the seizures became worse.

Keppra can cause rage outbursts (Kepprage) and hallucinations and suicidal side effects, as can other AEDs. They are mentioned in:
www.drugs.com/keppra.html
Keppra side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Keppra: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, irritable, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
~bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
~feeling very weak or tired;
~fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
~problems with walking or movement;
~the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild; or
~severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, ~burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.

My daughter started keppra a month ago. I must say it has really helped her seizure wise but like so many of you have already stated the mood swings are horrible! My 12 year old daughter starts crying now for no reason. She has never been a crier before this. If it wasn't for the fact that keppra seems to be working so well for her, I would be asking her doctor to try something else. I did take a suggestion I found on another site, to give her vitamin B6. So far it seems to be working.

For 30 years, following a traumatic brain injury and coma, I have been battling crippling headaches, seizures, and blackouts. Still, with great help from others and incorporating lifestyle changes, I have been able to have a large family and a successful career--even reaching high positions in public service.

You know what, I agree. I honestly think this is a horrible drug and it truly changes the person you are while taking this. The short time I was taking Keppra I was a horrible unhappy person. I seriously thought everyone was out to get me and I could not feel normal. I was having thoughts of wanting to die, and my life is truly blessed for so many reasons. This Drug is a scary one and I truly think that if anyone who is taking this or knows someone who is taking this, if at any reason they start to feel DOWN, SAD, USELESS, or ANYTHING close and out of your ordinary, GET OFF!!!! It only gets worse and it really RUINS things and relationships.

Back
Top Bottom