Keppra XR off the Insurance list for 2017

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This is brutal. I took generic keppra when I was first switched to it, and I had some rash issues when generic's changed from one brand to another.

I've been on brand name Keppra for the past 6 years and have been doing well. I just called Cigna and they say it has been moved from a preferred provider brand to non-preferred, that is why the cost increase.

They said the only hope is if the doctor can convince them of "Prior authorization of brand name necessity for co-pay reduction." I am checking with my doctor, but I have a feeling the insurance person was just telling me this to get me off the phone.

I dont know what I am going to be able to do here.

I take multiple 250 mg pills of keppra right now, and my doc suggested moving to 500mg increments, as he said sometimes fewer number of pills will cost less.

He thought this might save me money given the reclassification of keppra by insurance and the increase in costs.

I have a question though: Could the changing of the mg/number of pills, even if the total dosage is the same and the drug is still brand name, produce any effect in terms of absorption and therefore possibly affect seizure control?

Probably a dumb question, but I wanted to ask before I agreed to a higher dose of fewer pills, even if the total mg's remained the same.

Back
Top Bottom