Klonopin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lindinig

New
Reaction score
I know some of you are taking klonopin for your seizures and other issues. My son's doctor wants to prescribe a small dose of it for my son, who also suffers from anxiety, and I believe that contributes to his seizures. Exactly how addictive is it? If we were to use it for, say, 6 months, and wean off, is that too short of time for him to become addicted? He has enough problems, and I just don't want to introduce more drama in his life.

I'm tempted to just say "forget about it", as the neurofeedback is doing a great job of decreasing his anxiety, but sometimes, his anxiety gets to be too much, where he can't sleep at night, and that snowballs into the next day where he just can't think for himself, and that sets him up for having a seizure.

Kolonpin is a member of the benzodiazepine family. It is a very useful drug, however, it is extremely addictive and should only be used under the close supervision of a physician. I withdrew from benzodiazepines about a month and a half ago and I was almost 100% sure I was going to die at one point. I was only on for 2 1/2 months.

However, If at all possible, I would talk to your doctor about another method of reducing anxiety. If stopped suddenly, it can create an excitatory situation in the brain that may cause seizures and a bunch of unpleasant symptoms.

Do not stop taking any medication without consulting a physician.

Hope this helps.

This is an old thread, but I brought it back up rather than start a new one because the original poster's situation is close to ours.

My daughter was prescribed Klonopin a few months ago when Vimpat alone wasn't working for her. We were afraid to try it at the time, reading about dosage tolerance, addiction, withdrawal, and a recent study (September 2014) linking benzodiazepines to alzheimers.

She added Tegretol to the Vimpat instead, which only resulted in increased seizures. Her doctor's advice now is to try Onfi, another benzodiazepine.

Since she never gave the Klonopin a try (and we have it in the house already) I suggested she go ahead and try it before getting the Onfi. I'm looking for people's experiences with Klonopin, trying to forget the possible link to Alzheimers because maybe it will be a drug that works for her. And she does have Anxiety so it should help that as well. Anyone have any advice to share? Positive stories? Ohioman212's post about withdrawal makes me a little scared.

Edit: didn't notice this thread was in The Nursery. My daughter is 22, so I guess I should have started a new thread elsewhere. Oops

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom