Lamictal reactions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sbncmo

New
Reaction score
Hi gang. I was wondering if anyone has had side effects from Lamictal. I haven't posted for about 3 weeks - partly since we were on vacation & partly because I have been so sick since before we came home.

My neuro tapered me off Topamax and started me on Lamictal at the same time. The only thing he told me to look out for was a rash within the first three days on my hands or feet. Nothing happened, so we left on the 3rd night for Oregon. The next day I started feeling a little bad. I assumed it was allergy to sagebrush. As each day went by, I kept feeling a little worse. I get altitude sickness & was on medication before we left. I kept thinking the altitude medicine wasn't working. I was tired & weak, always chilled, I had trouble breathing (I attributed that to my asthma). By the time we headed home, I was vomitting & had diarrhea (I thought food poisoning). We have been home almost a week & I still feel horrible. The diarrhea continues, I feel like I have been beaten all over with a baseball bat, the pain is so severe that I am doubled over sometimes, I'm still chilled & weak. Then yesterday my voice started getting hoarse. Even drinking water causes terrible stomach pain. I'm still drinking it, but not as much as normal. I'm able to handle popsicles, but that's about it. I thought "I've had food poisoning before & it only lasted 24 hours. This must be something else." So I looked up Lamictal side effects & those symptoms are from Lamictal.

I didn't think of this until after the doctors office was closed, but I discussed it with my pharmacist. He said I'm definately having a reaction to the Lamictal & told me to taper down one pill until I can talk to the neuro on Tuesday. He said an extended release tablet might work, but chances are I will need to be switched to yet another different med.

As far as the seizures go, I'm still having some. The day after we got home, I went to take a shower & couldn't figure out how to step into tub. There have been several minor seizures this week, but earlier this afternoon I had a myoclonic that hit so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. Thankfully, I can say that since I'm not on theTopamax, my anger is gone & my mood swings are back where they usually are.

Anyway, sorry to make this so long, but I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems with Lamictal & what you have done. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Shelia

Sheila,

That flu-like feeling can be an indicator of Steven's Johnson Syndrome (SJS), a potentially dangerous drug reaction. Even if it isn't that, the feeling of being hit by a truck is definitely one Lamictal can dish up.

I'm transitioning off Trileptal onto Lamictal. Lamictal is making my joints extremely painful, to the point where it is getting difficult to get out of bed in the morning. I'm also dizzy and exhausted and sleepy, and my vision extremely blurry around the edges. At one point I had a rash, but a dermatologist looked at it and said it wasn't SJS so we treated it with steroid creams and eventually it went away. I also have periods where my brain goes to mush and I get really confused. I don't know which end is up. I've gotta believe all this is going to get better at some point.

I'm glad your doctor is switching you to something else. Different AED's will affect you different ways. The right one is out there for you.

I got a rash, achy, pain, headache, all after taking lamictal for 6 months. went off cold turkey (yeah, neuro said to) amazingly- no withdrawal. Went on topomax, but I'm not feeling like it's going to work. I sure miss the lamictal. It really worked for me and helped with the mood stuff I go through that the topomax probably won't.

when my doctor talked about putting me on lamictal I went to as many sites as I could find about the drug, the only site that really helped me out(besides my mom being an LPN) has been webmd also if you don't trust just that google search lamictal side effects...... it does come up with some weird sites but as long as you skip over the fake sites you should be fine.

I've been on lamictal since january and the new doses always wipe me out for about 2 weeks then I get use to it.

hope this helps ~Sharon~

Thamks for your replies everyone. I'm feeling so frustrated at this point. I've been on almost every ep med there is & have had reactions to them. Keppra & Topamax were horrible with my moods - severe anger is a mild description of what they did to me. Neurontin made me gain 60 pounds. Depakote causes severe tremors that had to be treated with Trileptal for two years before they stopped. I took Tegretol, but don't remember what it did to me. My neuro called me a couple hours ago to put me on Klonopin, but I had been on it before for an extended period of time & had bad withdrawal symptoms from it, so I won't take it again. About the only ep meds I haven't tried that are listed on WebMD (which sight I rely upon highly) are Lyrica & Phenobarbital. I just now got another call from my neuro & he decided to try the Lyrica. I've heard a lot of negative things about Lyrica, but I don't have many options left. I know my neuro is just as frustrated as I am. What can they do with a medicine-sensitive/intolerant patient? I know too that he has to find something that will treat the different types of seizures I am having and he has concerns about elevated liver enzymes, which went up 10 points in the 2 weeks I was on Lamictal. I can't even reach theraputic levels on anything yet before the reactions are too severe. What can I do? I feel so sick today from the Lamictal, but at least I've taken the last of it & maybe will start feeling better. Anyway, I hope this one works. Thanks everyone.

Shelia

Back
Top Bottom