Lamotrigine and memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
What's your opinion? WebMD lists memory loss as a rare side effect of lamotrigine. From what I can see on the forum so far is that it's not rare. Have you experienced memory loss with lamotrigine? I actually set up a med reminder on my medic alert app. Some days I forget twenty minutes after I take evening pill that I took it.

Gilles

Memory loss hasn't been a side effect for me. But everyone reacts differently to the meds. Medication and seizure history can also play a role in memory issues.

:agree: A lot can depend on the other drugs you were on or are on as well.

:agree: A lot can depend on the other drugs you were on or are on as well.

Very true. Not sure if my memory loss is from Keppra or long term use of Dilantin. I've only been on lamotrigine for a few months so I can't blame on lamotrigine.

İ have been on Keppra for a few months recently increased to 2000mg and I have bad short term memory but can't say for sure that the Keppra is the cause but I am looking to get off it.

Will do, thanks for the article it is hard to connect the dots sometimes, which you guys all help with.

The points they made in the article about short term memory issues such as missing appointments and forgetting tasks sound like me. I am always making to do lists to remind me of things, I have always had these issues but they seemed to have gotten worse. I found a article called 10 drugs that may cause drug loss that list anti seizure medications including Keppra and lamictal as potential culprits. The article was by a Dr. Armon Neel Jr. Thanks agIn.

Back
Top Bottom