Leg pain & exhaustion

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

p10ppy

New
Reaction score
Hi I’m new here and looking for other people who may have experienced the same symptoms as me :)
I’ve had seizures for about 3 years now and they are tonic clinic, I haven’t had one in about 4 months after starting keppra.
my main issue is my leg pain, most days it aches and makes it difficult to do much physical acitivity. I am also exhausted most of the time and spend a lot of days sleeping. Has anyone had similar experiences and any advice? Thanks :)

Hi p10ppy,
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear that you are dealing with tonic clonic seizures. It could be the keppra that
is causing your legs to ache. I was on the drug for about 1 month and had to get off of it because it gave me such
a hot temper. The drug can also make you tired but if you notice this is continuing you may want to speak to your
Dr. and ask for a sleep study to be done along with an e.e.g. I was feeling really tired after a good nights sleep
so I had a sleep study done and come to find out I was having seizures in my sleep and maybe this is what's going
on with you. This type of seizure is called a myoclonic seizure and they happen when a person first wakes up or goes
to bed. I started using the cbd oil and vimpat and all of that ended. I wish you only the best of luck and May God
Bless You!

Sue

Hi sue!
thanks for your lovely reply, I will try Cbd oil and vimpat to see if it helps, the tiredness has been for long before I started keppra so hopefully these tips will help.
i will also look into myoclonicseizures as I haven’t heard of these before.
Have a lovely weekend and good luck,
Poppy

Hi p10ppy, what kind of pain are you experiencing with your leg? If it's joint-related, then Keppra could definitely be the culprit.
Agree with Sue that a sleep study might be helpful.

Hey,
It’s aching pain as if I have done a big workout for example. I will ask my doctor for a sleep study at my next appointment ! :)

I have leg aches at times and joint pains. I find that making a topical magnesium oil spray and using it each day helps me 100%. If you need the recipe, let me know. It's easy to make yourself (and so much cheaper).

I second the CBD oil as well - this helps a lot!

Keppra always makes me tired no matter what :(

I have leg aches at times and joint pains. I find that making a topical magnesium oil spray and using it each day helps me 100%. If you need the recipe, let me know. It's easy to make yourself (and so much cheaper).

I second the CBD oil as well - this helps a lot!

Keppra always makes me tired no matter what :(
Hey ,
Sorry to hear about your leg pain,
I’d love to know the recipe if that’s ok :)

Hey ,
Sorry to hear about your leg pain,
I’d love to know the recipe if that’s ok :)

I found it on a website years ago and have been using it with great success:

You will need:
-Life-Flo Magensium Flakes (the big container of these lasts forever lol so $20 isn't all that bad for the amount you get).
-Filtered/Distilled Water for longer shelf life

I buy the magnesium flakes at a local co-op, but they are on Amazon as well at the link below or just search it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-flo-Pur...refix=pure+magnesium+flak,aps,182&sr=8-2&th=1

The mix is usually a 1:1 ratio. For a smaller spray bottle, some people do 1/2 Cup flakes: 1/2 Cup water, but it can have a burning sensation and if it ever does, it needs more water. Some people tolerate it differently, but if it burns, just add more water. For this reason, I do 1/4 Cup magnesium flakes to a little over 1/4 Cup water. Put your preferred amount of magnesium flakes in a microwave safe dish and sit it on the counter. Get preferably distilled or filtered water (so your solution lasts longer) and warm it up (I warm mine up in a microwave safe measuring cup for a minute), when the water is warm, pour it over the magnesium flakes. Let all flakes dissolve completely and when it cools, pour it into a spray bottle. A small, glass spray bottle I find best.

When it's all ready to use, people choose to use it a few different ways:

1. Get a nice, warm shower, dry off, and then spray on your abdomen. Some people let it sit a minute and then put their clothes on over it.

2. Spray it on, let it sit for 30-45 minutes and then shower off with warm water.

2. I usually let it sit on my abdomen about 30 minutes and then wipe it off with a warm, wet wash cloth because I often forget to apply it before or after a shower lol. I don't like to put clothes over it, either. The "magnesium oil" isn't an oil at all, but it feels oily and it can get on clothes and feel highly unpleasant.

3. Soaking in the bath with the flakes is an option, too, but I generally don't do this since I often times stick with showers. However, it will offer you much dilution if needed - incredibly helpful for quick relief over your legs.

-The abdomen seems to be a good absorption point and is less itchy. I do not recommend spraying this on knees, calves, or elbows as it will burn and irritate badly if it gets in any small cut and these places can be a lot more sensitive to magnesium oil. Some people use it for arthritis to spray on joints, but I would imagine the solution would need to be more diluted to do that. I find that spraying it on my abdomen will still ease the pain in joints in my knees (if I haven't used it in a long time because I've forgotten, it can take a week of applying each day before I notice my joint pain 100% gone). Most people are deficient in magnesium due to the soils that grow the majority of our food and being so depleted.

I hope you find some relief from your leg pain soon!

wow Thankyou so much! I will get to making and trying this as soon as,
Thanks again for being so kind and helpful x

another big one i actually just told myself. keppra can also cause things like clots and deep vein thrombis if you spend to much time sitting down.
it is not your friend.

Back
Top Bottom