[Info] Lemon Balm and Sleep/Relaxation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have been having massive insomnia because of stress. Like not sleeping at all, all night. My heart would beat so hard that my body just wouldn’t relax. I’ve seen some doctors, but it diddn’t help much. Meds made me feel terrible and gave me seizures.

I’m very cautious about anything I eat (or take) because of my low seizure threshold. I was desperate, so I tried several kinds of tea, mostly blends of Chamomile and Lavender. The one that worked for me is “Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile with Lavender”. It only has Chamomile, Lavender, and Lemon Balm. The one thing it had that the others didn’t is the Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis, a kind of mint - although it’s not “minty”). Straight up Chamomile or Lavender didn’t do anything, but Lemon Balm seems to help.

As far as I could discover there were no contraindications for epilepsy, and it is considered very mild. Everyone is different of course. I’m going to try to get some plain Lemon Balm to try and see if it works alone.

FYI: Lavender is considered mild but can have estrogenic effects. If you are a woman it could make your seizures worse if they are influenced by your period.

Good luck! I hope your sleep improves.

Hi Matthew,

Go on You Tube and listen to the sound of ocean waves or music with serotonin it will calm you down and help you relax so you can get some rest. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom