Let's talk about brain surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

David - my heart and prayers will also be with you Friday. We all will be waiting to hear the results.

I go back to see the neurosurgeon on Oct. 2 but that's just a very, very routine MRI and check-up.... nothing scary here. And -- lol -- no neuropsych!!

David,
I wish you the best when you go to Dallas to see if you'll get surgery or not.

I've been to several other places and they have said no because my meds made me forget to much.

Belinda

Hi! I go in for surgery on Oct 2, I'm having it done on the left temporal lobe. My nerves are getting to me a little, but i know i'm in good hands. I won't be awake for mine though, I have to be there at like 6am. I'm the 1st surgery of the day. Generally your in the hospital for about 3 days.I just hope it works though. He's giving me a less than 1% of the seizures coming back, because right now i'm having them everyday! Good Luck and take care! Mandy

Mandy -- My heart and prayers will be with you.

My first surgery was left temporal lobe - I had to be there, ready to go at 6 AM too -- Feb 14 and I was home on Feb. 16. Whew.

Giant hugs and glorious wishes.

Hello Mandy~:hello:

I will be praying for you. I hope everything goes well for you. When it came to my surgery, I had to be there at 9am. I am happy it isnt as early as you and Nancy's. But I dont think it would matter that much. I had trouble sleeping the night before. I was so excited but nervous at the same time that I couldnt sleep. I ended up tossing and turning. I think we have our days and ways we go through it. Not sure how you will be when that day comes. Try to be strong and think of it as a positive outcome. I know it will be hard as the closer the date comes. As me, with my family, I had to be the stronger person and say to my own family that everything will be ok and that I will be back. My dad and mom was crying and I told them I will be fine. Stay strong and know we will be thinking and praying for you. I hope you the best.
Keep us updated on everything.:rose:

The idea of brain surgery sounds really scarey

I really feel for all of you and, living in this facility, I've seen people who had a c scar on both sides of the head. One man - not here anymore - I remember was POWERFUL - a kickboxer - also alcoholic - he would have violent outbursts - then he totally changed like a baby - he was in a wheel chair - someone said he had a stroke - could barely talk - he had had somesort of brain surgery and it is kinda scarey - it was in both TL areas.

I will not say would NEVER have surgery, but I hope my seizures never reach that point.

you are certainly very BRAVE people and I really admire you for that. I hope each of you have GREAT recovery.

I don't know if this spot was specifically for those who HAD the surgery. I just popped in to say, I'm proud of you for going through with whatever you HAVE to do.

One lady, my friend on here, you know who you are, is about to have surgery and it makes me as an outsider to this comprehension cry for her. She's AWESOME and I'd be still struggling on my own if it was not for her. I don't know if it is "legal" or not, but "BRAIN":rock: :brain::rock:you are a rock to me and I really appreciate you and Bernard.
:clap:
Thank you.:rose:

Gail Lynn - You can talk here all you want :)
And I'll bet I WAS more afraid of brain surgery than you ARE!
And I'll bet I share the same love and respect of Brain and Bernard.
What a blessing it is to have this place.

Thank you, I've been scared to post

I FEEL for people even if it is not my own experience.

I SWORE I'd never have eye surgery, but went totally blind with cataracts and had no choice - super success, and for the 1st time in my life since childhood - no glasses. NO, that's not related to E.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Ya gotta deal with whatever :soap: happens

I'm just widdle ole me and wouldn't hurt a flea - might squoosh it on second thought or flush it down the potty 0h sorry .

Seriously now, the idea of BRAIN surgery is scarey.

I was told the Brain (not you "BRAIN") has absolutely no feeling and surgery can be done w/o pain meds cause there's no pain - is that true.

(haha - I watch a lot of "HOUSE" on tv and a lot of National Geographic and 20/20 stuff - plus, college studies - I'd LOVE to go back to college but my brain just don't work right any more to study and I HAD a 4.0GPA in college - now, borderline retarded due to E!! It's ok. I yam what I yam - Popeye said.)

toot toot!!

Thank you - sheeeeeeew - I feel like 5 elephants just climbed off my back!!

GL-ziggidypoo

To me the testing was worse than the surgery itself. I did the WADA and the Grid right before my surgery. I had a right temporal lobectomy. I have the best docs and nurses around. But get this. Literally my skull was so thick they could not get it off. And that was for the grid only. When they actually took the lobe out it felt much better, and I got to go home. I was sleeping for my surgery.And they gave me a nice morophine drip.lol I'm glad I did it.

Gail ~ Before surgery my surgeon told me twice that I was going to have pretty stiff pain ... He described it as the most difficult pain I'd ever had because they would be cutting directly through the temporal lobe muscle instead of just moving it aside.
He was right. OUCH!
And I had ignored him because I have a high pain threshold and had already had so many surgeries in my life with no problems. But the pain ended and I was fine ..... Fine enough to have no hesitation when I knew I needed surgery the second time.

I think the words "BRAIN SURGERY" are so scary they cause more fear than they should.
Brain surgery is easier and safer than it used to be. Honest!!

IF :e:

If I ever have to have surgery - I want to be OUT!!! lol.

And, YES, "BRAIN SURGERY" sounds REAL scarey!

However, if it is the ONLY hope,

We all have to do all we have to do,

And, pray we succeed.

"Live and let live"
http://www.myspace.com/ziggidypoo

Last edited by a moderator:
At least when you have brain surgery that means they think they can focalize it. That is really cool. I did have blood transfusions. If you think it can work I say go for it. I am so glad I did it. I always would have wondered what my life would have been like if I didn't try. It has been hard. But for me, it was a question of quitting or trying.

If they ever asked me again if I would do it again meaning the brain surgery. I would say yes. But the WADA test is what I didnt like at all. I sure would have to think about that one. I freaked out about that test and it is so much different than they explain to you. But I am so happy I did the surgery or I would never have this big change in my life.

Last edited:
If I was told I could have brain surgery again I'd go for it.

But he docs keep telling me they wont operate on me since it's my LTL now and I had my RTL operated on before.
They wont operate on both sides.

Belinda

stilldancing,
I have the VNS because my seizures were increasing alot .
I have partial seizures and I've had 3 VNS they've cut down on my seizures.
Before I got it was having average of 60 a month.

Belinda

lately the VNS hasn't been working very good for me.
But it works with my meds and my Topamax been cut back because depressed really bad.

Belinda

Well I could use it for depression, my doc sais he is not totally convinced it works for that though. So that is why I am asking.

Back
Top Bottom