[Research] Levetiracetam (Keppra) improve brain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm on the max dosage of Keppra-- 3000 mgs. a day and have been taking it for more than 10 years now. My verbal memory (aphasia) is still pretty bad after all these years.

I'm on the max dosage of Keppra-- 3000 mgs. a day and have been taking it for more than 10 years now. My verbal memory (aphasia) is still pretty bad after all these years.

Do you get mood swings? Days where you just feel over the top hyper with a endless supply of energy?

I've been taking it since 2006 and there have been days when I'm totally energized and then there are days when I can hardly get out of bed???
M

I've been taking it since 2006 and there have been days when I'm totally energized and then there are days when I can hardly get out of bed???
M

Do you think it's due to something you ate or did the night before?

Do you get mood swings? Days where you just feel over the top hyper with a endless supply of energy?

I've had mood swings for years, well before I started taking Keppra, so didn't really notice a change in moods with Keppra. And I didn't ever feel over the top with and endless supply of energy while taking it, either.

Last edited:
George,
I don't really know. I think sometimes I overdo things (cleaning, cooking) and the next day I pay for it. Then again, I'm an organized person and will wake in the morning ready to tackle the job at hand. I enjoy accomplishing things and feel good when I'm done. It's in the evening when I sit to try and relax that it catches up with me and then I sometimes start feeling sorry for myself. Sorry for rambling...
M

^
I'm totally different. I just have these days where I have way too much energy, non stop endless. Then the next day I'm usually fine unless I overdid it during my high energy day

George,
I think all the "energy" manifests differently in all of us. I'm just happy that I can still function and accomplish as much as I can. There are so many here that are a lot worse off.
I am grateful for what I have!
M
One Day at a Time.

I'm not sure if it's the KeppraXR or getting off Dilantin but I really feel more clear headed and definitely have some days where I have lots of energy. But I can also have my lazy days as well. Interesting article.

I feel just the reverse. My memory and cognitive "sharpness" was much better on Dilantin than Keppra.

On Keppra, I feel like I cant remember anything or feel anything.

I feel just the reverse. My memory and cognitive "sharpness" was much better on Dilantin than Keppra.

On Keppra, I feel like I cant remember anything or feel anything.

I'm the same as this. My mood, energy and memory were better with dilantin. I've been on keppra for 1 1/2 yrs. I feel like my apartment and life are both a mess because of this stuff. Take 1500 mg/day.

This is incredibly interesting - amply demonstrating how personal and individual people's experiences are to a particular drug. Almost like glasses, what works for one person can be not just useless but an antithesis.

I was started out, like many, on phenytoin and whilst it sort of did a job, on the strong dosage I started on I could definitely feel 'Mikd Cognitive Impairment'. Whereas before I could run a day long workshop on the technical aspects of video production, three weeks of phenytoin gave me issues making loose change. I also had an issue with memory and impulse control.

Switching to Keppra was such a wonderful experience, getting back all my 'Executive Function', memory and self regulation ability. Within a couple of weeks I could foresee getting back to work.

Now, keppra - for me - did make one feel a bit like 'a couple of beers at lunchtime' physically. Not mentally, just a little uncoordinated. I know others get far worse. But the feeling subsides in a few days to a week or so.

And I will take the high Executive Function every time. I am, to all intents and purposes, back to my normal self. Just as I would hope for anyone here when they find their own 'Goldilocks' AED too. Good to know the broader range of choices as well as hear both good and bad on what's out there.

I accidentally stumbled the other day onto a drug called Piracetam, if you have heard of it. Apparently, Keppra is a close cousin of piracetam (and I think was developed using it as the base but not sure), and for some reason, piracetam is very effective for myoclonic epilepsies and it is being used in the UK and other countries but the FDA has not approved it in the U.S.(not surprising). I was reading about how that drug too protects and improves the brain after stroke, head injury, etc. with very little downside. There is another drug in the same class also being developed, Brivaracetam, it's in the same class in Phase 3 human trials, and showing to be 10 times more effective than Keppra in partial seizure syndromes (guessing also effective in myoclonic epilepsies but that isn't what the trial is focused on). Also has a good side effect profile and way fewer mood issues. I like this class of drugs and I'm keeping my eye out for this new drug being approved!! Keppra is working OK but if I can find a drug that improves seizure control, reduces side effects, AND reduces damage from my head injury, dude I'm all in :)

:brain:Wow, that is fascinating!!!
I just had to undergo a surgical procedure called a burr hole craniotomy, thanks to Epilepsy I had a horrible concussion which resulted in this Subdural Hematoma. I was lucky, as good as new right after the surgery.
I did observe something though. I noticed that everybody undergoing this surgery was put on AED's even if they had never had a seizure before.
I had a few days of many seizures which worried me a bit. Then I was given the ok to increase my Keppra from 1,250mg 2x/day to 1,500. I have been feeling great.
I am wearing head protection to protect my head which has been an adjustment but if I fall, and if I hit my head.... who suffers??? I do.
It is something I should have done sooner but....
Anyway, The Keppra article is of tremendous interest to me.
Thanks!!

I Just started keppra alonh with my regular dilantin about a week ago. I don't know if it's the drug or my age, (35), but I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis. Feels like I get pissed off and/or sad really easily. I'm hoping it stops soon.

Morning, I noticed that too when I started Keppra or Lamictal. Lamictal had me feeling unable to articulate thoughts and I would get so frustrated so quickly. On Vimpat and Phenobarbital now. It feels like a good balance, but I do notice mood issues. I become more frantic.

I Just started keppra alonh with my regular dilantin about a week ago. I don't know if it's the drug or my age, (35), but I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis. Feels like I get pissed off and/or sad really easily. I'm hoping it stops soon.

Kepprage... It won't go away

The link is dead, but I found another article. I sure wish it helped with my memory. My wife will be pleased to know the meds shouldn't be adversely effecting my memory.

I had the mood problems. I guess I still do, I've become very well practiced with a "controlled release". I used to take B6 & B12 vitamins, but I stopped. Meditation helps more, I think.

Back
Top Bottom